Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2018 12:41:16 PM EDT
Without getting into too much detail, I have to unfortunately move back into Massachusetts.  Wife wanted to move back.  Ejection isn't an option, etc, etc...

Wife wants to live north of Boston.  We've settled on a house in Burlington.  It's a split-entry type.  I dislike split-entries but it has some potential, the neighborhood is good and the school system should be excellent for our kids.

One of the first things I'm wanting / needing to do with the house is to add an expansion.  I know nothing about the costs for such things though and just trying to figure out a ballpark figure of what it would entail.  Figure adding somewhere between 20x20 to 24x24 to one end of the house.  Lower level would be a two car garage connected to the rest of the lower level.  Upper level would be a master bedroom with one walk-in closet and a master 3/4 bath.  Master BR would be connected to the rest of the upper level.

I'm sure it's hard to price it out without knowing more details, having a plan, etc.  But I just want to get an idea of a ballpark figure.  Is this sort of project the kind of thing that would be around $50k?  $100k?  $150k?  More?
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure what the price would be for a project like that but I’d bet in the 100k area.

Just to put things in perspective of other projects.
We bought a split level, gutted the kitchen and upstairs bathroom, took out a wall and added a beam for an open floor plan. That cost us 52k. (All new cabinets, counters, hardwood floor, shower).
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been building in Ma. & NH for 30 years. Mass. and the Burlington area in general, you can eat up $200 sf pretty fast.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  We wound up passing on the house.  Between needing an addition and the results of the inspection, it just wasn't worth it to us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top