Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2019 5:46:11 PM EDT
Wondering, since I’ve read that you can’t conceal carry on your property without a CHL.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Do you not have your CHL? You should!
2. Laws in America aren't written telling you what is ok, they are written to tell you what is not ok.

Check chapter 166 of the Oregon Revised Statutes. If it's not prohibited then you are good to go. I would like some clarification for what you are actually asking. I would also recommend that any serious legal question be directed at a lawyer and not a gun forum.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. Do you not have your CHL? You should!
2. Laws in America aren't written telling you what is ok, they are written to tell you what is not ok.

Check chapter 166 of the Oregon Revised Statutes. If it's not prohibited then you are good to go. I would like some clarification for what you are actually asking. I would also recommend that any serious legal question be directed at a lawyer and not a gun forum.
View Quote
1. Thx!
2. Thx!
Buddy's wife was told by her employer that she could carry at work without a CHL. Got me curious as to whether this was correct.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on the internet!

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.250

Relevant text:

(2) This section does not prohibit:
View Quote
(b) Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by ORS 166.270 (Possession of weapons by certain felons) and subsection (1) of this section, from owning, possessing or keeping within the person’s place of residence or place of business any handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or keep any such firearm at the person’s place of residence or place of business is required of any such citizen. As used in this subsection, “residence” includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as residential quarters.
View Quote
Section 2(b) would indicate that ORS 166.250, which covers unlawful possession of a firearm, does not prohibit a citizen over the age of 18 who isn't a felon or other prohibited class from possessing a concealed handgun at their place of business. Transporting to and from such a business could be problematic without a CHL as courts have rules that even your vehicle is a "public place" for the purposes of firearms laws. Your best bet is to get a CHL if you want to carry.

Again, not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Read the statute, ask a lawyer and then trust that a "jury of your peers" in Multnomah county, which will consist of three transgenders, five antifa, two communists, a partridge in a pair tree (self identified and don't you dare question this or you are literally Hitler) and the rest just run of the mill gun hating democrats, won't convict you of something. Most likely disorderly conduct if they can't find a real crime. Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top