Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2018 7:12:30 PM EDT
Just curious. I'm just closing on some property from my family in the northern part of the county. I plan on hunting the property initially. Then, gradually clearing it and

making pastures and eventually building on it. It will eventually be left to my twins. Also wondering how the fishing is on Leesville Lake? I plan on heading up the first week

of December.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just curious. I'm just closing on some property from my family in the northern part of the county. I plan on hunting the property initially. Then, gradually clearing it and

making pastures and eventually building on it. It will eventually be left to my twins. Also wondering how the fishing is on Leesville Lake? I plan on heading up the first week

of December.
View Quote
@fixin2 I'm in Campbell County, I grew up and lived in Pittsylvania County until I moved up here about 12 years ago.

Leesville Lake isn't too bad for fishing, I used to go there all the time. I mostly did bass fishing, but there are some pretty big catfish and striped bass in there, too. I caught a few  white bass, crappie, and blue gills, there, too. The water level used to go up and down like crazy, being let out of and pulled back into Smith Mountain Lake, but I don't think it's been as bad for the last several years. There used to be a ton of debris in the water from the water levels changing all the time, but it's not as bad anymore. A lot of people used to not like going there because of this, which I liked,  because it wasn't crowded like SML.

Should be some pretty good hunting in that area, too. It's not a bad part of the state, and I want to move back down to the southern end of Campbell Co/Northern Pittsylvania Co one day. Altavista Walmart is right up the road, which is nice because it's never really busy. Lynchburg isn't far, and I'd recommend going that way opposed to going to Danville. Perky's Restaurant right up the road past Altavista is awesome.

Send me a message if you ever need anything, I'm about 15-20 minutes up the road, probably.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife is from Hurt, Sister in law lives in Grit,

we pass Perky's on the way in and it is always busy, must be good!

wife hits the Dairy Freeze in town for icecream and hotdogs,
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the replies. My dad bought the land back in the early 70's and I have never set foot on it. Long story short is he died without a will two years ago and I had to get an attorney there involved and finally came to terms to buy step mom and step sisters portions.

Have been planning on driving up to post it and hunt it but the weather has been crap. Going to initially hire someone to clear a spot for a camper and then have power ran to it. Worst case scenario is I go during Christmas shut-down. I have deeded access to the lake and use of a private boat ramp so I need to find a boat also. Lots to do in the coming months.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I appreciate the replies. My dad bought the land back in the early 70's and I have never set foot on it. Long story short is he died without a will two years ago and I had to get an attorney there involved and finally came to terms to buy step mom and step sisters portions.

Have been planning on driving up to post it and hunt it but the weather has been crap. Going to initially hire someone to clear a spot for a camper and then have power ran to it. Worst case scenario is I go during Christmas shut-down. I have deeded access to the lake and use of a private boat ramp so I need to find a boat also. Lots to do in the coming months.
View Quote
Very cool, good luck with everything. Should be a pretty nice piece of land down there.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
So I made a trip up to my property before Christmas. When I stepped out of the car three deer jumped up beside my beaver pond and took off straight up the hill. I grabbed my rifle and worked my way to the dam of the beaver pond. I sat for a couple of hours and then did a lap around the pond which is surrounded by a large hill on three sides. My dad had sold the timber about 6 or 8 years prior and the ground was covered with very thick blackberry briars and hardwood saplings. I decided to take a break and ride back to town and as I'm at my car a big doe comes sliding down the hill to the pond. I take a 250 yd off-hand shot at her and miss.

So I head to town and pick up a roll of No Trespassing signs to post around the property. I return and do a sit beside the pond and ended up taking a very big doe that afternoon. Almost killed me dragging her 200 yards up the hill thru the underbrush. Was able to dress her and finish getting all the meat in a cooler before dark.

Looks like the property may have had an interesting history, prolly shine was made there at some time 30-40 years ago. there is a branch that flows from the beaver pond down to the lake. I found mason jars and remnants of an old still next to the property that looked like it was possibly tossed off my property when the timber was logged. Anyway, It was a great trip and I returned home the next day with a cooler full of venison. It took two years and a good attorney to help me acquire the land from my family and I know my dad would have approved. I'll never know if my dad had someone making shine up there or not. I have my suspicions though...

Next is putting a camper on the property and getting power turned on. Then doing some clearing and sowing grass for a pasture and planting some apple and pear trees.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Very cool, it's a nice area down there.  I wouldn't be surprised about the still, the moonshine capital of the world is one county over.  Should be some really good hunting down there, too.  Bears are still somewhat rare in that area, I did see a black bear that had been hit on 29 pretty close to your area last year.  Coyotes have become more and more common in the area, there seems to be a lot of them around these days.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, there were some guys that were working on the dam that were staying in the hotel I was at in Gretna. They said to be careful about wandering into the woods. They said lots of stills are in the woods up near my property.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:41:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I made a trip up to my property before Christmas. When I stepped out of the car three deer jumped up beside my beaver pond and took off straight up the hill. I grabbed my rifle and worked my way to the dam of the beaver pond. I sat for a couple of hours and then did a lap around the pond which is surrounded by a large hill on three sides. My dad had sold the timber about 6 or 8 years prior and the ground was covered with very thick blackberry briars and hardwood saplings. I decided to take a break and ride back to town and as I'm at my car a big doe comes sliding down the hill to the pond. I take a 250 yd off-hand shot at her and miss.

So I head to town and pick up a roll of No Trespassing signs to post around the property. I return and do a sit beside the pond and ended up taking a very big doe that afternoon. Almost killed me dragging her 200 yards up the hill thru the underbrush. Was able to dress her and finish getting all the meat in a cooler before dark.

Looks like the property may have had an interesting history, prolly shine was made there at some time 30-40 years ago. there is a branch that flows from the beaver pond down to the lake. I found mason jars and remnants of an old still next to the property that looked like it was possibly tossed off my property when the timber was logged. Anyway, It was a great trip and I returned home the next day with a cooler full of venison. It took two years and a good attorney to help me acquire the land from my family and I know my dad would have approved. I'll never know if my dad had someone making shine up there or not. I have my suspicions though...

Next is putting a camper on the property and getting power turned on. Then doing some clearing and sowing grass for a pasture and planting some apple and pear trees.
View Quote
Franklin County has the reputation for moonshine, but certain parts of Halifax and Pitt were equally thick with shine production, especially up near the dam (which is barely in Pitt).
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:08:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Another interesting thing, parts of the show "Moonshiners", which is totally fake by the way, was filmed just south of your property. Anything with that Tim guy, or Tickle was most likely filmed right down 29. I went to school with Tickle, and he's pretty much that dumb in real life. I think he's in jail right now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah the guy at the hotel was telling me about him. Climax is just a few miles south of my property. No shiner that cares about staying outta jail is gonna let anyone near him or his still with a camera.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top