Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2021 7:12:52 PM EDT
My Dad and I are interested in a weekend trip to go Varminting for Prairie Dogs, Ground Squirrels or Marmots.

I know lots of great spots for marmots in Reno, but definitely can't shoot there.

Anyone have any good areas on Public Land within a few hours of Reno?  

Any open ranch guys who want some hole diggers to go away?

Feel free to IM me if you don't want your info on the thread.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My Dad and I are interested in a weekend trip to go Varminting for Prairie Dogs, Ground Squirrels or Marmots.

I know lots of great spots for marmots in Reno, but definitely can't shoot there.

Anyone have any good areas on Public Land within a few hours of Reno?  

Any open ranch guys who want some hole diggers to go away?

Feel free to IM me if you don't want your info on the thread.
View Quote

You can literally go up Lockwood canyon or in the mountains across the highway and slaughter marmots. There’s no prairie dogs in Nevada but you can drive out to eureka, Reese river, paradise valley etc in March and slaughter ground squirrels. Marmots you can find in just about every mountain range if you stop and glass for them. It’s a small window for marmots and ground squirrels. Soon as the grass gets tall or it’s hot they are gone. Moral of the story is any pivot will have ground squirrels and damn near any mountain range marmot and sometimes you can get both in the same spot. Timing is key.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Ground squirrels around Elko but it's getting to be the wrong time of year for that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top