Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2020 11:37:52 PM EDT
I’ve been invited to go on my first bear hunt this year, and was told with my veteran’s preference application, I’m a shoe-in to get drawn for a tag. I’m an avid whitetail and waterfowl hunter, but this is something new for me. I’ll be hunting in a ladder stand over bait. My question pertains to weapon selection. My available (viable?) choices are (in no particular order):

1.) AR308 w/ Nightforce 3.5-15x50 (illum reticle)
2.) Win 94 in 30-30 w/ Leupold 3-9x40 (non-illum)
3.) Rem 870 12ga fully rifled w/ Burris 1.25-4x20 (non-illum)
4.) AR15 SBR in 300BLK w/ Vortex 1-4x24 (illum reticle)
5.) Ruger GP100 in .357 w/ 6” barrel (open sights)
6.) Compound Bow

Does the 3.5x bottom end magnification disqualify the AR308 as a good option? Or 3x on the 30-30?

Does the 300BLK SBR (with supersonic ammo) have enough oomph for bear?

I do have a 30cal suppressor.

I just bought the bow last fall and have never fired a bow at an animal, and am hesitant to have my first archery hunt be on a limited opportunity bear hunt. But I do intend to become proficient with it over the summer.

Thanks for your input on aiding my weapon selection for a limited opportunity bear hunt.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been bear hunting once and I used a 12ga with a sabot slug, the bear me and my dad shot both were dead on the spot with slugs. I used sabots and my dad used a regular 1 1/4oz foster slug.
We hunted over bait and the stands were within 40yds of the bait so if you use a scope don't overpower yourself. Dad used open sights and I had a scope turned down to 2x.
Personally I'd skip the bow if you have never shot an animal with one yet. The kill zone on a bear is a little smaller than a whitetail and if you're off and hit the shoulder your screwed. I had been bow hunting for 7yrs when I tried bear and I took the gun since I had alot of money tied up into the trip (went to Canada) and didn't want to take any chances.

I think anything you can use in whitetail deer will work for black bear but the .357 might be pushing it IMO. My buddy in MN said the average size for black bear in the state is only around 150lbs. Where we went in Canada they told us not to shoot anything under 300.

ETA. Remember, you'll be shooting in a fully leaved forest at a dark target. I'd you choose to use a scope test it out in the back yard toward dusk at a black target. Try to find out how far the shots will be and test the magnification on your scope. I did not use an illuminated reticle and had no problems. I know it isn't an exotic choice but I think the slug gun is the best out of all your choices, especially if you're proficient with it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. The 12ga seems to be getting the most votes amongst family/friends, also. I’d really like to use the AR308 with the suppressor, but I’m pretty sure the 3.5x bottom end magnification is too much. I’ll do some low-light experiments in the back yard on black, bear-sized targets and see what it’ll look like. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sawgunner2001:
Thanks for the reply. The 12ga seems to be getting the most votes amongst family/friends, also. I’d really like to use the AR308 with the suppressor, but I’m pretty sure the 3.5x bottom end magnification is too much. I’ll do some low-light experiments in the back yard on black, bear-sized targets and see what it’ll look like. Thanks again.
View Quote

Try the .308 and see how the scope works under 40yds. Or you could swap the scope with the one from the shot gun is you really wanted to use it.
I was in the same boat as you, I had never shot anything with something other than a bow or shotgun and really wanted to use my .45/70 or the bow for the most challenge  but I just felt more comfortable with the slug gun so that's what I used. If I ever go again I'll use my bow
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#4]
take the Nightforce off the .308 and put your Vortex on it. done. .308 is perfect medicine for MN black bear
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By syclone170:
take the Nightforce off the .308 and put your Vortex on it. done. .308 is perfect medicine for MN black bear
View Quote

Ironically, just last night I went outside at dusk and tested the optics.  The 3.5-15x50 Nightforce is definitely too much magnification for short-range bear hunting.  The 1-4x Vortex was good.  The only other consideration I have is taking my Aimpoint PRO off my CQB carbine and throwing that on my 308.  I wasn't keen on switching optics around on all my rifles, but I'm all but certain that's what'll end up happening.

Right now, I'm looking at throwing the 1-4x Vortex on the 308 for the bear hunt, just as you described.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top