Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2019 6:08:30 PM EDT
I am attempting to work on my NPOA and it's not going too well. Regardless of position, I can't seem to get stable. Are there any seed instructors in the SE MI area that want to help a brother out? I am in Livonia. I can pay you for your time, range fees, or stuff you with pizza and beer. Or Nicolas BBQ. Or whatever. Just send me a PM, if you're interested. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quick advice: Do daily stretching if your body isn't flexible enough to get a nice, tight position with bone support (losing the gut would be nice, but it takes much longer to see results than daily stretching requires). Once you are flexible enough to assume the best positions possible for you, try "snapping in" - spend some time in position looking at an Appleseed target taped to the wall (scaled for whatever distance you're at). Make sure you have a nice tight sling, and consistent fundamentals (stock weld, sight alignment, proper eye relief, trigger control, breath control, etc.).  When in position, close your eyes, take a few deep breaths and relax, then open them. Look where your sights are pointed, and move your body as required to make your sights line up with the center of the target.  Rinse and repeat for an hour if possible.

The Appleseed curriculum closely mirrored how I was taught to shoot at the rifle range in the Marines, if you want more details a .pdf of MCRP 3-01A Rifle Marksmanship is probably available from a billion places online and would be a valuable read.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quick advice: Do daily stretching if your body isn't flexible enough to get a nice, tight position with bone support (losing the gut would be nice, but it takes much longer to see results than daily stretching requires). Once you are flexible enough to assume the best positions possible for you, try "snapping in" - spend some time in position looking at an Appleseed target taped to the wall (scaled for whatever distance you're at). Make sure you have a nice tight sling, and consistent fundamentals (stock weld, sight alignment, proper eye relief, trigger control, breath control, etc.).  When in position, close your eyes, take a few deep breaths and relax, then open them. Look where your sights are pointed, and move your body as required to make your sights line up with the center of the target.  Rinse and repeat for an hour if possible.

The Appleseed curriculum closely mirrored how I was taught to shoot at the rifle range in the Marines, if you want more details a .pdf of MCRP 3-01A Rifle Marksmanship is probably available from a billion places online and would be a valuable read.
View Quote
@lukef Thanks for the advice. You know, I started thinking about the stretching thing and you're right. I cannot get my left arm perpendicular under the rifle. About the best I can do right now is 60-70 degrees. I will start there and work this out for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Pm sent.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pm sent.
View Quote
Pm'd you back
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 10:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I must be crazy, I dont see your pm. :(
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I must be crazy, I dont see your pm. :(
View Quote
@Joshka I just saw your reply. I will PM you again.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm also in SE Michigan.  Have been an Instructor for 10 years.  Hit me up if you want.

ETA: Tried to send you a PM, your mailbox is full.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top