Wright
Algonquin
Iroquois
street
Nye
Haystack
Basin
Saddleback

My wife and I are hitting up the Seward range shortly (including Seymour) to put us at 11 for the year.

Just wanted to hear your experiences, share stories and talk gear.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Hate hiking up hills.  Unfortunately it’s part of my hobby so a side effect.

Mt Jo was nice though.  

I use INaturalist and AllTrails to figure out where to go.  I usually am off the people trail within 10 minutes.  I take no water, instead filling up before.  Head to toe coverage and coated with Permathrin.  TruSpec pants beat 5.11.  Altama jungle boots, hex heads screwed in.

Don’t do what I do, or you wind up like them https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2022/07/adk-rangers-rescue-teen-aged-hikers-who-got-lost-overnight-trying-to-hike-nys-2-tallest-mountains-in-1-day.html
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hate hiking up hills.  Unfortunately it’s part of my hobby so a side effect.

Mt Jo was nice though.  

I use INaturalist and AllTrails to figure out where to go.  I usually am off the people trail within 10 minutes.  I take no water, instead filling up before.  Head to toe coverage and coated with Permathrin.  TruSpec pants beat 5.11.  Altama jungle boots, hex heads screwed in.

Don’t do what I do, or you wind up like them https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2022/07/adk-rangers-rescue-teen-aged-hikers-who-got-lost-overnight-trying-to-hike-nys-2-tallest-mountains-in-1-day.html
View Quote

AllTrails has got us back on the trail a few times. Definitely worth it. When we were doing tabletop we got off the trail leading to its base and bushwhacked into nothing before we decided to turn around. When we turned around four hikers also got off the trail at the same point we did. Alltrails guided us all back to the trail. I like it so much I bought a whole cell setup for easy access.

Juggernaut PALS mount on a Hill People Recon chest rig.

ETA: for boots I wear Keen Targhee III. My wife does as well. We hate them. We bought them earlier in the year and broke them in before we started. Once broken in and after doing the seven peaks we have decided we hate them because they have no tread that sticks to anything.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The only good all terrain boot is the Altama.  Everything else is for logging trails.  La Portiva bottoms are pretty good. My Keene are for dirt roads that don’t get wet.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Our group goes to the Adirondacks for a week every fall, and we have some 46ers in my main group, but for me its a whole different type of hiking than what we do around my home area. I hit a few peaks while we're in the area but I'm personally not on a quest to get all 46. My personal goal is long trails.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Our group goes to the Adirondacks for a week every fall, and we have some 46ers in my main group, but for me its a whole different type of hiking than what we do around my home area. I hit a few peaks while we're in the area but I'm personally not on a quest to get all 46. My personal goal is long trails.
View Quote

The NPT and Cranberry 50 are on the bucket list. Just gotta get through this challenge first.

What boots do you wear?

ETA: when we did Gray, Skylight and Marcy we did them all at once for a total of 19.98 miles. Water became a slight issue. We had our bladders and a Katadyn Be Free 1 liter squeeze bottle. I was wondering if what anyone else’s uses. I’m looking at the platypus gravity filter.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The NPT and Cranberry 50 are on the bucket list. Just gotta get through this challenge first.

What boots do you wear?

ETA: when we did Gray, Skylight and Marcy we did them all at once for a total of 19.98 miles. Water became a slight issue. We had our bladders and a Katadyn Be Free 1 liter squeeze bottle. I was wondering if what anyone else’s uses. I’m looking at the platypus gravity filter.
View Quote

Back home I wear Keenes on trail, but I'm not a fan of them for the high peaks because its a different type of hiking; a lot more boulder hopping there and the soles of the Keenes don't offer enough support.

Most of the people I hike with up there, even the ones with all 46 under their belts, think I overpack when we're in the high peaks. Based on the day hikers around me I figure that they under pack. Literaly flip flops and tee shirts and maybe a 20 oz water bottle is what I see most people carrying around.
I carry a Cnoc bag, standard Sawyer and aquatabs for back up for water filtration.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I reset my count to zero last year as I told my son we were going to do them together.   We did cascade last fall with the wife and my daughter.   We'll likely do the easier ones first until they get a bit older, my daughter is only 5 but she still managed cascade just fine, its the longer ones like marcy, algonquin and giant that they arent ready for, not to mention the interior mts.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I reset my count to zero last year as I told my son we were going to do them together.   We did cascade last fall with the wife and my daughter.   We'll likely do the easier ones first until they get a bit older, my daughter is only 5 but she still managed cascade just fine, its the longer ones like marcy, algonquin and giant that they arent ready for, not to mention the interior mts.
View Quote

That’s great! Get them started young. What ones did you do before your reset?

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Cascade
Porter
Giant
Rocky
Whiteface
Esther
Tabletop
Phelps
Street
Nye
Wright

I'm gonna try to get another 1-3 this summer
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Haven't been in years but have done Marcy.   Did Cascade and Porter in the winter and camped on Cascade I think the temp was about -5.  

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#12]
@ADKRebel

Might as well get you in here
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

ETA: for boots I wear Keen Targhee III. My wife does as well. We hate them. We bought them earlier in the year and broke them in before we started. Once broken in and after doing the seven peaks we have decided we hate them because they have no tread that sticks to anything.
View Quote
The wife and I both have a pair of these Oboz. Tread grips the rocks, comfy and solid sole, and great ankle support.

https://www.ems.com/oboz-mens-bridger-mid-b-dry-hiking-boots/1365323.html
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@ADKRebel

View Quote

You betcha!

I wear low Keen Targhee IIs, they fit the shape of my feet well. I think the waterproofing isn’t as good as it used to be. More importantly, I wear Darn Tough ankle high wool blend socks. They are awesome.

I started hiking on 7/3/19 with Porter and Cascade. My most recent hike, Cliff and Redfield, was last Sunday. 21.5 miles on a gorgeous day. 41/46 and I plan to finish next month if it works out.  I’ve also hiked quite a bit of non high peaks. I love the ADK park and all that it has to offer.

It is my plan to hike Haystack, Basin, Saddleback, July 23rd. It’s gonna be a big day and anyone is welcome to join me.

When I did the Marcy-Skylight-Gray loop, it was sleeting at the top of Marcy. In August.  I carry a 3 liter bladder in my pack, but on that trip I drank about 8 liters. I filter with a Katahdin Hiker Pro.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You betcha!

I wear low Keen Targhee IIs, they fit the shape of my feet well. I think the waterproofing isn’t as good as it used to be. More importantly, I wear Darn Tough ankle high wool blend socks. They are awesome.

I started hiking on 7/3/19 with Porter and Cascade. My most recent hike, Cliff and Redfield, was last Sunday. 21.5 miles on a gorgeous day. 41/46 and I plan to finish next month if it works out.  I’ve also hiked quite a bit of non high peaks. I love the ADK park and all that it has to offer.

It is my plan to hike Haystack, Basin, Saddleback, July 23rd. It’s gonna be a big day and anyone is welcome to join me.

When I did the Marcy-Skylight-Gray loop, it was sleeting at the top of Marcy. In August.  I carry a 3 liter bladder in my pack, but on that trip I drank about 8 liters. I filter with a Katahdin Hiker Pro.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58424/2C730CBB-C02B-46BC-AF7D-423E0F80CA48_jpe-2453871.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58424/image_jpg-2453874.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@ADKRebel

You betcha!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58424/2C730CBB-C02B-46BC-AF7D-423E0F80CA48_jpe-2453871.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58424/image_jpg-2453874.JPG

That’s great! We did the Tupper Lake Triad back in April just to gauge how we’d do in the high peaks. When we are done with the high peaks we’d like to finish the tri-lakes trifecta.

The Gray-Skylight-Marcy loop was an ass kicker. The floating logs did not float because there weren’t any logs as of July 7th. The three hikers that we met that came through the same route, as well as us, were soaked.

It was there I relearned that weight and water is a serious issue .
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#16]
May 29th, I hiked Dix from Round Pond. That was another grueling hike. Attachment Attached File

Here I am on Colvin in February:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#17]

How was the winter hike?
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Winter hiking is absolutely wonderful. I sweat a lot so layering properly is important. I do not like to break trail, but if the conditions are good, I’m there!  

No bugs, no mud, no rock hopping. One downside is that there is less daylight.

I finished my Firetower Challenge on Hunter Mountain at the end of January. Hunter is a 4000+ ft. peak, but in the Catskills.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Didn't we have a thread aboyt this recently? 41 mag luvr or someone started it?
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Didn't we have a thread aboyt this recently? 41 mag luvr or someone started it?
View Quote

41mag has now transitioned to ADKRebel
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

That explains my confusion ??
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is just how I identify.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#23]
So when is the nyhtf high peak hike?
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Next Saturday!  HaBaSa!
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone ever thought about doing the Trap Dike on Colden?
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone ever thought about doing the Trap Dike on Colden?
View Quote

I hiked Colden last 9/11. There was a group of young adults that blew by me on the trail and I saw them heading up the Trap Dike. Never saw them again, at the summit or otherwise.

I think an experienced hiker, a doctor, fell and died this winter attempting the trap dike.

Colden was amazing, but the TD is not for me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I hiked Colden last 9/11. There was a group of young adults that blew by me on the trail and I saw them heading up the Trap Dike. Never saw them again, at the summit or otherwise.

I think an experienced hiker, a doctor, fell and died this winter attempting the trap dike.

Colden was amazing, but the TD is not for me.
View Quote

A vertical ascent is not hiking in my mind. Its technical mountain climbing
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#28]
While I applaud your efforts and have climbed a hill or two in my time, it's become all some of us can do to descend a flight of stairs.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I always wanted to do these as a kid and never have, I really should get off my ass and start.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I always wanted to do these as a kid and never have, I really should get off my ass and start.
View Quote

It’s amazing. The views from the top are the reward. The rugged terrain is a great challenge. The little towns are great. We love it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 6:21:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It’s amazing. The views from the top are the reward. The rugged terrain is a great challenge. The little towns are great. We love it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started when I was….46. It’s quite addicting.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#32]
First I’d like to thank everyone for the boot recommendations. I will be looking into replacing what I have in the near future and will keep the recommendations here in mind.

What are you’d wearing when you hike?

I’ve worn some Columbia and Patagonia pants, but my favorite are Wrangler ATG 5 pocket pants. They’re cheap at 25.99 at the Waterloo outlet, they are extremely flexible which is good for negotiating terrain that may cause you to have to really stretch yourself out, they are moisture wicking and breathable. I no longer buy anything else for pants. They also make nice button down hiking shirts too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#33]
If it’s above freezing, I’m usually wearing a lightweight pair of shorts or basketball shorts, a Dri-fit tee shirt, and as previously mentioned, Darn Tough socks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

This weekend is the Lake Placid Ironman Triathlon, which means its going to be a zoo up there.  I'm postponing this hike.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This weekend is the Lake Placid Ironman Triathlon, which means its going to be a zoo up there.  I'm postponing this hike.
View Quote

@ADKRebel

Plus there is ongoing construction in the cascades. They have taken down the three stop lights for the ironman but I'm sure they will be back up monday as they ahve to finish the topcoat.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
First I’d like to thank everyone for the boot recommendations. I will be looking into replacing what I have in the near future and will keep the recommendations here in mind.

What are you’d wearing when you hike?

I’ve worn some Columbia and Patagonia pants, but my favorite are Wrangler ATG 5 pocket pants. They’re cheap at 25.99 at the Waterloo outlet, they are extremely flexible which is good for negotiating terrain that may cause you to have to really stretch yourself out, they are moisture wicking and breathable. I no longer buy anything else for pants. They also make nice button down hiking shirts too.
View Quote

Just got in. It’s 95.  I wore TruSpec pants (more thorn resistant than 5.11), PFG shirt and boonie.  Altama boots and wool blend socks.  I actually sweated.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Looks like I'll be doing the Tupper Lake Triad on Tuesday and maybe a hike aroubd Blue Mtn Lake later in the week. I wanted to bag a 46, but my 80yr old dad and his gf want to hike and my out of shape wife wants to go. The wife was supposed to be in 46 shape, but that didnt happen. It'll still be fun and I get to spend some time with my father. I'll hit a 46 or 2 in sept or oct. The mountains will still be there waiting, but family time wont.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I did about 65% of them in my late teens but haven't climbed any in the last couple decades.  Climbed Marcy 3 times from the Tahawus side.  I prefer to spend time woods walking now, in no rush to go anywhere.  I was never a fan of climbing and if I am going to climb, I prefer to do it with a rifle in my hand or on my shoulder.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Phelps?  [looks out his window]  
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

We are on vacation and can’t change our plans. I guess we will avoid Placid after the hike which stinks because our tradition is to go to smoke signals afterwards. Any other BBQ in the area that’s decent?

Quoted:

Just got in. It’s 95.  I wore TruSpec pants (more thorn resistant than 5.11), PFG shirt and boonie.  Altama boots and wool blend socks.  I actually sweated.
View Quote

You really have me thinking about Altama. Haven’t worn them since the Army but they weee always great.

Quoted:
Looks like I'll be doing the Tupper Lake Triad on Tuesday and maybe a hike aroubd Blue Mtn Lake later in the week. I wanted to bag a 46, but my 80yr old dad and his gf want to hike and my out of shape wife wants to go. The wife was supposed to be in 46 shape, but that didnt happen. It'll still be fun and I get to spend some time with my father. I'll hit a 46 or 2 in sept or oct. The mountains will still be there waiting, but family time wont.
View Quote

We did the Triad earlier this year. The best view is Coney in my opinion. They weren’t too bad. When done commemorate the hike with this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/718755462/tupper-lake-triad-print-adirondacks-ny?click_key=0c2c5acc9b78cba2edf71784537eb26baec47c2e%3A718755462&click_sum=2077899f&ref=price_range_narrowing_module_search-1&frs=1&sts=1
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:15:53 PM EDT
[#41]
2AKnight-

I don’t know what your plan is, but I recommend NOT hiking up the Seward trail with a full pack right after completing Seymour. That was a mistake I made in ‘20. It was very steep and I pushed myself to a point of exhaustion. I had planned to get all four peaks and then descend the Caulkins Brook trail before spending the night. Instead, I had to hang a hammock just past the summit of Seward and collapsed into it for the night. I woke up early, made it to Emmons and back to the truck around noon. I hadn’t bothered to cook breakfast, just ate some trail mix. So when I got to Tupper McDonalds I ordered a lot of food!
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Brad, this really is a good idea.  We should pick a single peak, not some 20 mile painfest.

Big Slide? (small summit area though)
Gothics via the cable route?
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Brad, this really is a good idea.  We should pick a single peak, not some 20 mile painfest.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m down.

We changed it up. Wife wanted views so we picked Algonquin, Wright and Iroquois for this one

ETA: thanks for the tip. I was a bit weary after doing the 20 mile Gray, Skylight, and Marcy loop
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#44]
My group has cancelled their planned annual August visit to the high peaks for the year.
Still one or two individuals going.
They're talking now about making reservations in January for next August
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Altamas may not be the best boot for 46ers.  I hear great things about Solomon GTX, though don’t have them

I wear Altama because I’m in every type of terrain, from swamps and streams to vine covered field to rock.  The soles shed mud, the edges are sharp not rounded like most hiking boots, and the rubber is harder than most so better on clay hillsides.  The tall boot is a must for ground cover with vines and prickers

I also screw hexheads in the lugs for clay.  Works great on wet rock too, but wears on the feet since I’m now on a few hexheads and not nice pliable rubber.   On a recent hike on AT rock half of the hexheads tore out (thus the box of 100 in the truck)

If you’re just going to hike trails the Altama are overkill.  

Socks are very important.  In thousands of miles in jungle and on logging roads I have NEVER had a blister, despite permanently wet boots and socks.

I think nobody mentioned hiking sticks, which are a godsend for going downhill and takes the beating off the knees.  I don’t use them because it’s one more thing, but wife does on trails and I can see the benefit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd like to do big slide, I made it between the second and third brother with the kids before heavy rain turned us around.   I really like the hike along the brothers, really interesting views.  
I'm renting a house at the end of sep up there, hopefully I can bang out another hike peak with the kids.  

I wish I could go spur of the moment, hell I was just up there for work and planned on taking a day to do giant but just too damn busy.  

If we plan a weekend I'll do my damn best to get there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I’m down.

We changed it up. Wife wanted views so we picked Algonquin, Wright and Iroquois for this one

ETA: thanks for the tip. I was a bit weary after doing the 20 mile Gray, Skylight, and Marcy loop
View Quote

You will have great views!  My advice, save Wright for last.  If you need to orphan one, you don't want to orphan Iroquois!

edit:  Seymour has nice views of Ampersand Mtn and Lake.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Altamas may not be the best boot for 46ers.  I hear great things about Solomon GTX, though don’t have them

I wear Altama because I’m in every type of terrain, from swamps and streams to vine covered field to rock.  The soles shed mud, the edges are sharp not rounded like most hiking boots, and the rubber is harder than most so better on clay hillsides.  The tall boot is a must for ground cover with vines and prickers

I also screw hexheads in the lugs for clay.  Works great on wet rock too, but wears on the feet since I’m now on a few hexheads and not nice pliable rubber.   On a recent hike on AT rock half of the hexheads tore out (thus the box of 100 in the truck)

If you’re just going to hike trails the Altama are overkill.  

Socks are very important.  In thousands of miles in jungle and on logging roads I have NEVER had a blister, despite permanently wet boots and socks.

I think nobody mentioned hiking sticks, which are a godsend for going downhill and takes the beating off the knees.  I don’t use them because it’s one more thing, but wife does on trails and I can see the benefit.
View Quote

Thanks for the insight

Quoted:

I'd like to do big slide, I made it between the second and third brother with the kids before heavy rain turned us around.   I really like the hike along the brothers, really interesting views.  
I'm renting a house at the end of sep up there, hopefully I can bang out another hike peak with the kids.  

I wish I could go spur of the moment, hell I was just up there for work and planned on taking a day to do giant but just too damn busy.  

If we plan a weekend I'll do my damn best to get there
View Quote

Same. I work every other weekend

Quoted:

You will have great views!  My advice, save Wright for last.  If you need to orphan one, you don't want to orphan Iroquois!

edit:  Seymour has nice views of Ampersand Mtn and Lake.
View Quote

I let you know how we do tomorrow. I always appreciate the advice of the more seasoned as this is our first year doing them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#49]
All 3 done. Sitting on top of Iroquois now.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone ever go in from the southern entrance?  I forget the name, old mill or iron works area
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top