Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2017 3:58:58 AM EDT
I didn't know this forum existed. Glad I found it.

Did you guys ever nail down where Suetonius defeated Boudica? The frontrunner is West Midlands, along Watling Street? But I have heard 4-6 other possible locations.

Somewhere along that area there has to exist a long forgotten field with a treasure trove of buried swords and shields (if they haven't rusted to nothing). I have read the Brits still used bronze to some extent, so those should still exist. Maybe even some coins and jewelry, if the place wasn't picked to the bone by scavengers. Not to mention a load of Roman pila, which were only thrown once (and maybe bent back into shape and reused, but I can't say for sure.) A battle that large almost always leaves something behind.

I'm not really interested in the stuff, other than it could provide a clue as to where the battle happened. Metal detectors, ground penetrating radar, etc., should be able to spot it and based on what they find, determine if it's the correct spot. Not to mention all the graves and bones. Well, actually, I doubt the Romans buried the dead. They would burn their own and leave the Brits to rot. Maybe the Brits did at some point?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of the battle, i am not far from there matbe a hour. I would be suprised its not been built on if its land. Can you google earth it and post a pic?
Atb
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never heard of the battle, i am not far from there matbe a hour. I would be suprised its not been built on if its land. Can you google earth it and post a pic?
Atb
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Atb
That's the problem. No one knows where the battle took place, only that it was most likely in the West Midlands along Watling Street, in the year AD 60 or 61.

Wiki:
Most historian favour a site in the Midlands, probably along the Roman road of Watling Street between Londinium and (Wroxeter in Shropshire), now the A5.
Battle of Watling Street/Battle/Location

Wiki:
Hugely outnumbered, Suetonius had chosen his battleground carefully. He selected a narrow gorge with a forest behind him, opening out into a wide plain. The gorge protected the Roman flanks from attack, while the forest would impede approach from the rear. This would have prevented Boudica from bringing considerable forces to bear on the Roman position, and the open plain in front made ambushes impossible. Suetonius placed his legionaries in close order, with lightly armed auxiliaries on the flanks and cavalry on the wings.
Battle of Watling Street/Battle

So, a narrow gorge with a forest behind it, opening into a wide plain, somewhere along Watling Street between London and Shrewsbury. That's what? 200 miles in distance to consider? Maybe 5 miles depth on either side of where the ancient Watling Street used to be located?

And that's the problem: The scope of the search would be pretty massive.

I was hoping they would have by now tried using ground penetrating radar to look for disruptions in the soil structure that might indicate a massive grave site and/or a massive weapons dump. Or just an ancient dump for all the stuff scavengers weren't interested in taking.

I would be of massive historical significance to find the battle site, especially to the UK.

If a casual researcher can lead the search and ultimately succeed in locating Richard III, then I guess anything is possible.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I was always lead to believe it was at Ambresbury Banks in Epping Forest, she was defeated and taken elsewhere where she died/killed herself.

But as you've already found out there is no hard contemporary evidence just local legends.

Ambresbury Banks Hillfort

Wiki
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was always lead to believe it was at Ambresbury Banks in Epping Forest, she was defeated and taken elsewhere where she died/killed herself.

But as you've already found out there is no hard contemporary evidence just local legends.

Ambresbury Banks Hillfort

Wiki
View Quote
Thanks. So, according to legend that's the place, but there's no evidence to support it?

This may be more difficult to nail down than I imagined.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Suggested final Battlefield sites range from Worcester in the west to Amsbresbury Banks (just north of London) and Kings Cross nearer London.

Most of the battles (or city sackings) took place in East Anglia and around N London (as it is now), so that could suggest that the final battle was in the same area but that is the only evidence I have for that.
However some do say this battle was in the west Midlands and as Paulinus was meant to be in Wales at the time the revolt happened it is possible that the two armies met at a place in between, but again there is no evidence for that either

With the good road system of the time Icknield Way, Watling Road, Ermine St, etc. could all allow an army of the time to move pretty quickly and easily so the battle could have taken place almost anywhere.

As I live in spitting distance of Amsbreybury Banks and my Grandfather lived in Epping Forest when he was a lad, that's where I am putting my money on the final battle being held. My Grandfather told me 40 years ago that was the case and as he was probably around at the time it's got to be: Fact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top