Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2021 5:20:49 PM EDT
WTF.... jumped from $17.50 a year to $42.50 per bike.  I thought maybe it was now 2 years like cars but nope... Expires 4/30/2022

ETA: for clarity, my current reg was/is good through 4/30/21
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#1]
That's nuts.  I could see a few bucks but more than doubling the fee?

Andy probably asked Billy Joel and they both figured why not?  Motorcycles are luxury items.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
WTF.... jumped from $17.50 a year to $42.50 per bike.  I thought maybe it was now 2 years like cars but nope... Expires 4/30/2022

ETA: for clarity, my current reg was/is good through 4/30/21
View Quote

Got mine in the mail today. You must have ordered a new plate. $17.50 with no new plate. I paid $48.76 for a new plate but keeping the same numbers/letters.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Got mine in the mail today. You must have ordered a new plate. $17.50 with no new plate. I paid $48.76 for a new plate but keeping the same numbers/letters.

View Quote

Definitely did not order a new plate.

And no new plates came.

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And no new plates came.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And no new plates came.

Might want to call and ask, "What's up"? To get to $42.50, it looks to me that they may have zoomed you for new plates too.

Motorcycle Registration Fees & Taxes
The New York Department of Motor Vehicles charges the following for registering your motorcycle:

Registration fee:
$17.50 annual base fee.
Depending on when you register, you may be charged for 2 years. See Motorcycle Registration Periods above.
Vehicle plate: $25.
Title certificate: $50.
Inspection fee: $6.
Sales and county use tax: Varies according to your county of residence and the purchase price of the motorcycle.
Use the NY DMV's estimated fees calculator to give yourself an idea of how much you should prepare to pay.
Some counties also require a Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee. Visit the DMV's guide to fees and taxes for a list of applicable counties.

https://www.dmv.org/ny-new-york/motorcycle-registration.php#Motorcycle-Registration-Fees-amp-Taxes
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#5]
just bend over and grab those legs... Next year it will double have to keep up with the green deal... Cant have you wasting that old oil and gas now..
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I just went online to MyDMV and checked the cost to renew.  It offered 3 options.  $17.50 to keep the current plate for all my bikes. The other options were $30 to renew with a new excelsior plate number and $50 to renew with new excelsior plate with my current number.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah something went wrong.  I'm going to call today. Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine was $42.50 as well.  Went from $14 to 42.50....such scum bags!   This state beyond blows!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah something went wrong.  I'm going to call today. Wish me luck.
View Quote

Got my answer:

Registration,  $15
Sticker,  $2.50
MTA SURCHARGE: $25 FUCKING DOLLARS!

FUUUUUCCKK. YOUUUUUU
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#10]
rapping you $25 for mta ouch... i hope you requested a train car on every train to load your cycle since your paying for it you should be able to take your bike on board with you...

I dont miss ny at all.. Im so glad i moved..
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#11]
There is an MTA Fee license renewals too. Remember, just like schools and defense, there isn't enough money on the planet to satiate the needs of the MTA. All they know is "more".
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#12]
So is this only for counties with MTA services?  My county does not so I guess that’s why I’m not seeing it.  I know we pay a “NYS law enforcement” fee.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So is this only for counties with MTA services?  My county does not so I guess that's why I'm not seeing it.  I know we pay a "NYS law enforcement" fee.
View Quote
Yes it is the downstate counties that are in the MTA region. That part that I consider "downstate" versus "upstate". We also get the enhanced emissions inspections, MTA mortgage tax, MTA payroll tax and 0.25% MTA sales tax. There are some others IIRC but I do not remember them all at the moment. All I know is, as mentioned above, there is never enough money for the MTA. They waste it like drunken sailors on holiday with absolutely no accountability. I have heard so many first hand stories of waste and malfeasance from insiders it makes you sick. And it will continue forever because of the threat that its demise will kill the economy. So you keep feeding and feeding the cancer hoping it will improve on its own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top