Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2021 12:48:23 PM EDT
The wife, our 11 year old and I planning on visiting the St. Augustine area this coming weekend.

What is there to do?

The last time I was there I was a teenager many years ago.

Where should we stay?

Preferably not much more than 130-150 a night.

Where to eat?
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I am in St. Augustine about 6 times a year for work and enjoy the area.

Castillo de San Marcos, the old Spanish fort, is a national park and a must see in Old Town.   Extremely cool when you take the time to do the tour and learn about the fort and the area.

There are other tourist-type things there- Fountain Of Youth, Oldest Schoolhouse in the USA, etc. but I’ve never done those.  Most people mill around the Old Town area- St. George Street and the like.  Plenty of shops and restaurants.  There are some good spots there to enjoy adult beverages and some good food.  Meehan’s is a good Irish spot, Prohibition Kitchen is good for a nice lunch and a drink.  I keep hearing about a bar/restaurant called the Ice Plant Bar that is supposed to have great craft cocktails and a good menu but I haven’t tried it out yet.

As for lodging, I typically stay at the DoubleTree just north of Old Town and the rate is usually pretty decent at around $150 this time of year.  Stays there include a decent breakfast in the morning which could help out on expenses.  They have a free shuttle bus that will run you the half-mile to a mile to Old Town and the fort.  

Hope some of this is helpful.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am in St. Augustine about 6 times a year for work and enjoy the area.

Castillo de San Marcos, the old Spanish fort, is a national park and a must see in Old Town.   Extremely cool when you take the time to do the tour and learn about the fort and the area.

There are other tourist-type things there- Fountain Of Youth, Oldest Schoolhouse in the USA, etc. but I’ve never done those.  Most people mill around the Old Town area- St. George Street and the like.  Plenty of shops and restaurants.  There are some good spots there to enjoy adult beverages and some good food.  Meehan’s is a good Irish spot, Prohibition Kitchen is good for a nice lunch and a drink.  I keep hearing about a bar/restaurant called the Ice Plant Bar that is supposed to have great craft cocktails and a good menu but I haven’t tried it out yet.

As for lodging, I typically stay at the DoubleTree just north of Old Town and the rate is usually pretty decent at around $150 this time of year.  Stays there include a decent breakfast in the morning which could help out on expenses.  They have a free shuttle bus that will run you the half-mile to a mile to Old Town and the fort.  

Hope some of this is helpful.
View Quote

THANKS SO MUCH!
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks!
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Buc-ee's is worth a quick stop if you're near there and need gas or drinks/snacks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Alligatorfarm is cool and has a nice zipline coarse if you and your 11Y/O are up to it.
I did it a few years ago with my 12 Y/O and her friends. It's fun zipping over the gators.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#7]
secomd for Osteen's  good stuff great country cooking.

I enjoyed a guided  walking food drink tour not sure how that plays with little ones but pretty neat.  I enjoyed it with the wife way more than I thought I woukd.

Got to hit the fort amazing history.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2021 12:53:11 AM EDT
[#9]
As stated earlier,  Castillo de San Marcos is a must.  

Several years ago when I was there my wife and I started to talk to one of the rangers and we mentioned what a great place it would be for a Zombie outbreak, the guy did not miss a beat and told us how the employees already had plans on meeting there and secure it.  

Ripley's Believe It or Not! is good for kids

Lightner Museum was really nice but look it up first.

We did the Old Jail tour as well as the Spanish Military's hospital as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone for the ideas!
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll be going to the Lighthouse & then Harry's Restaurant for dinner this weekend. I hear they have good seafood.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 1:06:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Boat Drinks for cocktails and oysters. Ice Plant as well for drinks and food. Osteen’s is great too
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Guys,
Thanks for all the suggestions!
We had a great time, the only hitch was I lost my wallet with all my important stuff and my cards at the fort!
Surprisingly, someone turned it in!!!!
We will be back again on a mini vacation there again I'm sure!
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#15]
It was crowed AF this weekend.  Usually not like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top