Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2018 11:28:11 AM EDT
Looking to go to Anna Maria with the family in a few weeks and need recommendations for what to do/where to eat/etc.

Also kid friendly fishing recommendations (from the shore or pier - just what to use for bait, what is likely to be biting and any preferred areas).
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is some information about the 3 piers down there.  Also on that site will be a list of the restaurants on the island.

Piers

My personal favorite is Mr. Bones BBQ, but since your down here on vacation you probably want to eat near the beach/water.  The Beach House restaurant is pretty good for seafood.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Catch sand fleas on the beach with the kids for bait. Good on the pilings on the piers. Catching the sand fleas is part of the fun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Whenever I'm home I always make it a point to hit Skinnys (right across the street from the beach, cash only), Star Fish Co (locally caught, etc.  also cash only), Peaches for breakfast, (there is one on the Island), and The Boiler Room (dive bar with greasy cheesesteaks).  The public beach at the end of Manatee Ave used to do all you can eat pancakes and sausage, I'm sure they still do. Hit up Shake Pit or Sweet Berrys for icecream.

Manatee Co Gun range out east used to be cool, but based on the other thread it's gone way downhill.

If you're a beacher but don't love the crowd, go a little ways down (I usually go north by AMI elem) from the public beach. You can find parking on most residential streets and almost every one has a little trail to the beach.

What kind of stuff are you looking for?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whenever I'm home I always make it a point to hit Skinnys (right across the street from the beach, cash only), Star Fish Co (locally caught, etc.  also cash only), Peaches for breakfast, (there is one on the Island), and The Boiler Room (dive bar with greasy cheesesteaks).  The public beach at the end of Manatee Ave used to do all you can eat pancakes and sausage, I'm sure they still do. Hit up Shake Pit or Sweet Berrys for icecream.

Manatee Co Gun range out east used to be cool, but based on the other thread it's gone way downhill.

If you're a beacher but don't love the crowd, go a little ways down (I usually go north by AMI elem) from the public beach. You can find parking on most residential streets and almost every one has a little trail to the beach.

What kind of stuff are you looking for?
View Quote
Mostly just hanging out at the beach and pool (rental house) with the kids. But I know I’ll get tired of that and want to try taking the kids fishing a little (see if they enjoy it) and see local sights. Try to go out to dinner with the wife one night but otherwise kid friendly stuff. Might be able to sneak off to fish a little on my own (not likely though).
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Fishing from any of the piers would be a great way to see how the kids like it.  Kids are usually happy catching anything.  You could also find a half day charter and they get a boat ride and better opportunities to catch some fish...maybe even dinner.

The Sandbar Restaurant is a nice place to grab dinner or a few drinks and watch the sunset.  There's also the Oyster House and Seafood Shack on the ICW side that are decent.

Link about AMI piers, fishing, and rental equip
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top