Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2021 9:07:36 AM EDT
No stone left unturned.  The DOJ want to claim that "parts kits" are actually firearms.  They don't have a clue.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/05/08/biden-doj-claims-weapons-parts-kits-are-firearms/
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:11:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Cabinetman:
No stone left unturned.  The DOJ want to claim that "parts kits" are actually firearms.  They don't have a clue.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/05/08/biden-doj-claims-weapons-parts-kits-are-firearms/
View Quote

Did you miss the thread right below yours?
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Justice-Department-Proposes-New-Regulation-to-Update-Firearm-Definitions/26-654351/

Whole lot of derp in the ATF proposal, beyond just "kits".
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 7:15:25 PM EDT
SB  i read through most of the post below but didn't see the "kits" addressed.  Like so many others here over the years we bought what were called "kits" for thinks like L1A1  FALS or AK47s or CETMEs or the like,  all of which never included receivers.  So, there is no "gun" in those plastic bags but a whole lot of spare parts that "could" be reassembled into a working rifle should we be able to find a receiver we purchased through an FFL. No monkey business here. Century Arms sold a lot of them for a lot of different kits.  BUT, most importantly, the kits were Not guns but assorted parts of disassembled, demilled guns soldl legally.  The articles below didn't mention KITs that I could see but I didn't read each work or article. If it's in there, I apologize.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:15:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/10/2021 6:36:31 AM EDT by sbhaven]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
SB  i read through most of the post below but didn't see the "kits" addressed.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
SB  i read through most of the post below but didn't see the "kits" addressed.  

Parts kits are mentioned in the second post...

Amend the definition of:
“firearm” to clarify when a firearm parts kit is considered a “firearm,” and

Further in the ATF text summary in that second post was the following:

Firearm Parts Kits
The proposed rule explains that when a partially complete frame or receiver parts kit has reached a stage in manufacture where it may readily be completed, assembled, converted, or restored to a functional state, it is a “frame or receiver” that must be marked.

Weapon parts kits with partially complete frames or receivers and containing the necessary parts such that they may readily be completed, assembled, converted, or restored to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive are “firearms” for which each frame or receiver of the weapon would need to be marked.

A weapon, including a weapon parts kit, in which each frame or receiver of the weapon or within such kit is destroyed is not considered a “firearm”.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Stay Informed On All Things 2A

Sign up and receive updates every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the ARFCOM community, breaking news and legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement.
Top Top