Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2020 11:58:01 PM EDT
I just got my new CDL   Federal Limits apply.  I have a Military ID, I don't need a Real ID for entry to federal facilities or to fly.  So I didn't go through the hassle of getting a Real ID.  I'm a cranky fart about some things.

The person’s information matches an entry in the Automated Firearms System (name, date of birth, current address, and driver license or other government identification) and does not fall within a class of persons who are prohibited from owning or possessing ammunition.

That's me, I've made a few purchases in the last few years.

What do I need to bring to a vendor in order to purchase ammunition? What type of documentation? (non-exempt purchasers)

A valid California driver license, California identification card, or Military identification. (Pen. Code §, 28180.). If your California driver license or identification card has “FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY” on the front, you must also present proof of lawful presence in the United States by providing one of the following documents:

That's  me   "OR" military ID  So apparently no need to present CA issued ID

So is that all I need or do I need something that shows my street address and CA residency?  (I do have a certified copy of my Birth Certificate)
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 1:46:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The military ID doesn't establish legal presence nor does it show your residence.  And unless you used the military id for the qualifying purchases, the system won't match.  If you used a CDL for the purchases, it's going to look for your CDL.

https://www.turners.com/info/ca-license-federal-limits-apply

https://laxammooc.com/ammo-deal-week/

Take your certified copy birth certificate and your CDL.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 5:45:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Well just add me to the list of people it denies unlawfully or use the CDL and birth certificate.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Active Military ID would work if one had PCS orders to Ca as to why one, as a resident, didn't have either a CDL or Ca ID, when making a qualifying firearms purchase.  The system works by matching you to an established record that is linked to a qualified firearms purchase or other background check.  The CDL is on file for prior purchases and establishes resident of California.  The birth certificate establishes legal residence in the US and legal status to purchase.  You aren't here on active PCS orders so the military id is not a qualifying document.  Likewise, it probably wasn't the ID used for the prior purchases.  So there would be no match.

Personally, the small added bit of effort to get a Real ID and vet notation on my license was worth it.  Unless things have changed, the stores are kind of busy and don't have time to argue with you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking of shooting SASS once in a while and that requires I add a story to my ammo fort.

I wasn't planning on arguing with some poor minion It isn't his problem.  But the laws, and OAG website don't say anything about mil id only on  active duty or orders.  

Mostly a what if idea since what the law literally requires and what the system wants.  Wondering if you had a current utility bill showing address and military ID.  Usually sufficient for other state administrative laws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top