Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2023 8:53:29 PM EDT
https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/Michigan-shipping-restriction/301-303826/

That only applies for the Michigan registration, It doesnt make the gun Illegal. If a "Pistol" is 26" and longer it does not qualify as a pistol in Michigan and does not need to be registered. At that point it becomes a "Firearm" and still legal to own. If its under 26" then we here in Michigan need to register it as a pistol.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The wording of the law was originally 30", but due to the underfolder stock AKs being less than 30" long when the stock was folded, they were forcing owners to register a 16" barrel legal federal law rifle as a pistol.

As is often done with laws, they are used as written, so some people were carrying the underfolder AK as a concealed pistol since they were forced to register it as such.  The law was then changed to 26" as a direct way to stop the registration of underfolder AKs as a pistol, and as a way to stop CPL holders from carrying them.  There was a legal notice issued at some point on the subject.

I believe that PSA is misinterpreting the law, as many dealers sell AK pistols of varying lengths, as long as the barrel is less than 16", and no stock, it's a pistol.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The wording of the law was originally 30", but due to the underfolder stock AKs being less than 30" long when the stock was folded, they were forcing owners to register a 16" barrel legal federal law rifle as a pistol.

As is often done with laws, they are used as written, so some people were carrying the underfolder AK as a concealed pistol since they were forced to register it as such.  The law was then changed to 26" as a direct way to stop the registration of underfolder AKs as a pistol, and as a way to stop CPL holders from carrying them.  There was a legal notice issued at some point on the subject.

I believe that PSA is misinterpreting the law, as many dealers sell AK pistols of varying lengths, as long as the barrel is less than 16", and no stock, it's a pistol.
View Quote

I agree with this, and I purposly have an AR, and a Remington 870 for concealed carry (truck guns).  Both fit the OLD under 30 inch wording, and was grandfathered.  I also have them on the old green card registrations, a copy of the law, and LEIN proof from the local PD that they were registered before the change.

Not quite sure why, LOL.....But mostly just because I could, and I knew the law was changing at the time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It was my understanding that under the OLD regulations, a rifle or shotgun under 26" OAL was illegal in Michigan. No AK underfolders, unless an extension was (permanently?) added to the muzzle to get an extra 1/2" of OAL.

Any rifles/shotguns over 26", but under 30" OAL could be registered as pistols.

Rifles and shotguns with an OAL over 30" were treated as normal "long guns".

Again, this WAS under the OLD rules...
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Any one here with a FFL ever do a transfer with a pistol that was 26" to 30" in length? If so how did you do the paper work?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top