Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2020 2:25:08 PM EDT
A friend in Chicago recently got an FOID and is a new 2A convert. He already got a low mag cap handgun and is looking for options to buy an alternative to the AR15 with the so called assault weapons ban in the city of Chicago.

Moving out of the city is not an option for him for a while. Any options and suggestions from residents are highly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell him to buy whatever he wants, including an AR if he feels like it. There isn't any firearm registration here so nobody will know and go looking for it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Their muni code with AWB seems to be offline at the moment...can order, but no longer view. I seem to remember they bypassed a couple of items one might normally consider in an AWB like an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, SKS, etc.

In theory the state has handgun preemption...not tested in court afaik, but who knows where an AR15 pistol fits in there... dunno
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder ...

If a guy passed the 4473 ...

And a retailer sold it to him ...

And there's no registry, right (eye roll) ...

Then this question is kinda like if a tree fell in the woods ...

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Their muni code with AWB seems to be offline at the moment...can order, but no longer view. I seem to remember they bypassed a couple of items one might normally consider in an AWB like an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, SKS, etc.

In theory the state has handgun preemption...not tested in court afaik, but who knows where an AR15 pistol fits in there... dunno
View Quote

https://library.municode.com/il/cook_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIGEOR_CH54LIPEMIBURE_ARTIIIDEWEDE_DIV4BLHOASWEBA
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Not actively enforced unless a crime is committed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not actively enforced unless a crime is committed.
View Quote

For state and county I agree. For Chicago. I wouldnt chance it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I know of plenty that live inside city limits that have never had a problem.

Wrigleyville, back of the yards, Bridgeport, Pilsen, little village, one guy I know lives 2 blocks from Grant park.

Mix of pistols and carbines.

They've never reported any issues.

I've also known people that don't want to risk it and keep them in family homes outside of the reach of crook County officials.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Pump or semiauto shotgun, 20 or 12.  Lever action rifle in .357.  SMLE or Mauser converted to .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#11]
AR Pistol or Firearm with VFG/Brace
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#12]
That whole pistol supremacy thing is a hoot.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
... I've also known people that don't want to risk it and keep them in family homes outside of the reach of crook County officials.
View Quote

The only risk is confiscation, right? Or at most this plus a fine, no? I ask because - can a municipality within the State 'force' a misdemeanor? I thought misdemeanor/felony laws only exist at State and Federal level??
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#14]
You'd be surprised lots of LEOs buddies own one. Not talking about department but personal rifles. Got invited to the range once. The AWB is dead IMO. Unless you commit a crime or even a HD. Better use a handgun for HD.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#15]
By an AR receiver, build up as a pistol...arm brace...voila....PISTOL!
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#16]
If I lived in Chicago I would look for the Remington 7615 pump I think it was. 5.56/223. Used AR mags.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a tac-14 for HD when I lived in Chicago. I was looking into a lever action rifle, but luckily, I moved out of state. Now trying to decide which suppressor I’ll get first!
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Same issue here. Although I myself are am neither in the city nor in the wretched crook county, I do miss the suppressors.

Wish I could move out of state but work and family doesn't let me. So stuck here. As far as I can tell, we are lucky to be able to have our FA, forget about the suppressors :( which looks like a never ending dream.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Same issue here. Although I myself are am neither in the city nor in the wretched crook county, I do miss the suppressors.

Wish I could move out of state but work and family doesn't let me. So stuck here. As far as I can tell, we are lucky to be able to have our FA, forget about the suppressors :( which looks like a never ending dream. nightmare.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#20]
M1
M1A
FN FAL
PTR 91
Mini 14 (wicked under rated, very very cool rifle)
Mosin Nagant
SKS
etc etc etc ....
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
FIFY
View Quote

Haha very true. Nice fix ;)
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#22]
How strict are the gun laws in Chicago?  Do the feds really care if someone owns an AR and doesn't cause any problems?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How strict are the gun laws in Chicago?  Do the feds really care if someone owns an AR and doesn't cause any problems?
View Quote

The Feds have nothing to do with state or local laws, only Federal statutes.  I don't live in Chicago, but the real danger there is the very leftist prosecutor who would no doubt prosecute a regular gun owner.  Other than that I would not give a shit what Chicago says or wants.  Good luck finding a gun shop that will sell an AR to you with a Chicago address however.  If you do find one, buy and shut up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A friend in Chicago recently got an FOID and is a new 2A convert. He already got a low mag cap handgun and is looking for options to buy an alternative to the AR15 with the so called assault weapons ban in the city of Chicago.

Moving out of the city is not an option for him for a while. Any options and suggestions from residents are highly appreciated.
View Quote

There is the FightLite SCR....works with most AR uppers and takes AR magazines. Legal just about everywhere, I believe.

https://fightlite.com/lowers/scr-rifle-lowers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top