Albany - 35 by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Albany - 36 by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Albany - 37 by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Albany - 39 by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Albany - 41 by Doug Hansen, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#4]
02282013 Albany NY by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

The photos from the VA Rattlesnake Rally have me reminiscing about our Albany rallies.  I didn't go to Virginia and I regret it (like we all do I'm sure).

I remember feeling so pumped up after attending that February Rally.  I remember the energy of the crowd.  I remember the friendly legislators telling us they had never seen such a gathering in over 20 years.  I remember the news reporting 3K people showed up.  I remember the NYSP on the rooftops.  I remember the NYSP taking cardboard 'guns' away from people.  I remember the mud under our feet.  I remember hoping something would change.

We are coming up on seven years.  What has changed?

Were you there?  Do you remember?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I certainly remember. Attended the first big rally - 12,000 to 15,000 people. Attended the 2nd big rally - 5,000 to 7,000 people. I was charged, I was hopeful. Nothing changed. Well, it did change, only for worse. Cuomo is still the governor. Now we lost NYS Senate. New laws are being passed every day. They spit on us, step on us, villify us.

Virginia rally was great. I did not go, but I followed it, saw photos etc. It made me happy and sad at the same time. They are as screwed as we are. The Democrats don't care. The only way for them to send a message is to go for Trump in 2020. And to elect a Republican governor. Will this happen?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:52:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I was there!
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I hope Virginia turns out differently.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#8]
We went back in June.  I was disappointed with the turnout.  It was a fraction of what was present in February.  That was a bummer.
But at least they grew some grass!

Albany - 42 by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Albany - 43 by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Albany - 44 by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Albany - 44 by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Albany - 47 by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Albany - 45 by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Albany - 49 by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Albany - 48 by Doug Hansen, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I attended all the rallies.
I was hopeful. I decided NY was a fucking waste and moved to SC in 2014. Best thing I’ve done in my life.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I went to the February rally in Albany. I went to the January 20 rally in Virginia. I am thinking about starting a battle buddies hiking group in upstate N.Y. Anyone interested?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I attended all the rallies.
I was hopeful. I decided NY was a fucking waste and moved to SC in 2014. Best thing I've done in my life.
View Quote
I went to the big one and it did fuck all.  So I beat feet and took my income and tax base with me in early 2016.  The cancer will spread I'm sure but at least I'll get to live a few years in relative freedom.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The photos from the VA Rattlesnake Rally have me reminiscing about our Albany rallies.  I didn't go to Virginia and I regret it (like we all do I'm sure).

I remember feeling so pumped up after attending that February Rally.  I remember the energy of the crowd.  I remember the friendly legislators telling us they had never seen such a gathering in over 20 years.  I remember the news reporting 3K people showed up.  I remember the NYSP on the rooftops.  I remember the NYSP taking cardboard 'guns' away from people.  I remember the mud under our feet.  I remember hoping something would change.

We are coming up on seven years.  What has changed?

Were you there?  Do you remember?  
View Quote
I too regret not going to the VA rally. I'll try for PA but can't commit quite yet.

I went to the first Albany rally (Feb 2013?) - didn't find out until later it was a "gun free zone"..

I went solo but still had a good time. What ever happened to Albany trying to charge us lawn maintenance fees?

I did not go to the second one, as clearly the first rally had no effect.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:07:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I went to the February rally in Albany. I went to the January 20 rally in Virginia. I am thinking about starting a battle buddies hiking group in upstate N.Y. Anyone interested?
View Quote
Where in Upstate? As non NYers would refer to anything north of NYC as "upstate"...

I'm in Oneida county; I've started rucking (walking multiple miles with weights) but depending on distance wouldn't mind meeting up on Saturdays for something.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Been thinking about suggesting that. Would depend on day, location and distance
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Red Blister Standing By.

Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I drag my boys out every other week or so w/ me. Im in herk county so I usually hit the trails up on 29 & around piseco. Im not afraid to leave the trail so you can extend the short routes. I like crane mt when I go visit the parents.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Red Blister Standing By.

View Quote
That your trail name, is it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Red Blister Squad(ron). I like it... Standing by.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That your trail name, is it?
View Quote
I've actually not had issues hiking the peaks.  A pair of broken in Keen boots and Darn Tough socks and I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Im going to start a new discussion.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where in Upstate? As non NYers would refer to anything north of NYC as "upstate"...

I'm in Oneida county; I've started rucking (walking multiple miles with weights) but depending on distance wouldn't mind meeting up on Saturdays for something.
View Quote
I'm in the Northern Catskills, Town of Windham, Greene County. 1 hour south of Albany and 2.5 hours north of NYC.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I certainly remember. Attended the first big rally - 12,000 to 15,000 people. Attended the 2nd big rally - 5,000 to 7,000 people. I was charged, I was hopeful. Nothing changed. Well, it did change, only for worse. Cuomo is still the governor. Now we lost NYS Senate. New laws are being passed every day. They spit on us, step on us, villify us.

Virginia rally was great. I did not go, but I followed it, saw photos etc. It made me happy and sad at the same time. They are as screwed as we are. The Democrats don't care. The only way for them to send a message is to go for Trump in 2020. And to elect a Republican governor. Will this happen?
View Quote
I was there also. I wish there would hae been some change. We need to separate Upstate from the city dwellers.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Too old & fat to hike.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:08:45 PM EDT
[#24]
What were Cuomo's words to the Legislators worried about the blowback....something to the effect of "fucking ignore them, they'll forget."
There were some seats lost, but we ultimately lost more as the "Hunter" demographic is the most apathetic with the lowest Voter turnout "because we can't beat NYC so why even bother."  
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What were Cuomo's words to the Legislators worried about the blowback....something to the effect of "fucking ignore them, they'll forget."
There were some seats lost, but we ultimately lost more as the "Hunter" demographic is the most apathetic with the lowest Voter turnout "because we can't beat NYC so why even bother."  
View Quote
Unfortunately, he wasn't wrong. None of the Republicans down here on Long Island who voted for the SAFE Act paid any price for it. In fact, it wasn't until the most recent Democrat sweep of the Senate that many of them were pushed out like Carl Marcellino due to anti-Trump sentiment. And of course there was Dean Skelos who was forced out not due to his vote but due to corruption.

It will be interesting to watch the 2nd Congressional District this year. With Republican Peter King retiring, who was not friend of the Second Amendment BUT provided a vote towards a Republican House majority, it is quite possible the district will switch to the Democrat's leaving Lee Zeldin in the 1st as the only Republican congressional member from Long Island.

The downstate demographics are not good at all for Republican's outside of a few strongholds in towns like Hempstead and Oyster Bay.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Too old & fat to hike.
View Quote
Google Second Chance Hiker on YouTube.
I bet you're smaller than he was when he started the PCT last year
Now, if you are laid up due to infirmity, I can't fault you there. You can always meet with your area group for whatever post-hike social function they participate in
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I was at the first march on Albany.
They did not listen and did not care.
There are no incentives to listening to us and no consequences for ignoring us.
New York City is all that matters to them.
We have no representation.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was at the first march on Albany.
They did not listen and did not care.
There are no incentives to listening to us and no consequences for ignoring us.
New York City is all that matters to them.
We have no representation.
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#29]
So do we show up in battle rattle and represent ourselves like our brothers in Virginia did?

If we showed up in battle rattle in 2013 would it have made a difference?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I was there  but noting has changed and has gotta Worse in N.Y.S. so now I live in a free state, sorry for N.Y.  beautiful state with communist political leaders.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top