Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Tacked Alaskans: Check in (Page 5 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#1]
daveybug here,  Mid-aged Appalachian American, I live in North Meadow Lakes, been in Ak since 1978, LTM of NRA.
This site really turned me on to the AR's. Lots of good info here.  I bought a  complete DPMS lower at a gun show and picked an Oly 16"upper assembly off a bud.  Also I have a build in progress, looks simple enough.  I got a dpms flattop & lower and a chip mccormick trigger.  I'm still deciding on the barrel and accoutrement's. I hope to do some hunting with it.  ttfn
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By daveybug:
daveybug here,  Mid-aged Appalachian American, I live in North Meadow Lakes, been in Ak since 1978,

*Alaska HTF* is kinda slow due to the lack of people we have up here.

So, on behalf of the other twelve posters. Welcome to the Alaska HTF.

Link Posted: 1/27/2008 5:48:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Checking in...I have lurked here for about a year. I have lived in AK for 10 yrs and work for the city.

GJ
Link Posted: 2/6/2008 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Tom here in Bethel. Have a Colt Hbar AR-15. Drive a Hovercraft for a living.
Have used it for a lot of safe fun.
Link Posted: 2/6/2008 11:13:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Emu] [#5]

Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Tom here in Bethel. Have a Colt Hbar AR-15. Drive a Hovercraft for a living.
Have used it for a lot of safe fun.

Safe fun with the hovercraft or the HBAR?

Fellow Bethelite here.   Ben, The_Emu
Link Posted: 2/9/2008 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Have fun with both but more fun with the H-Bar. The craft can get to be a handful in wind and white out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2008 3:47:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Just got stationed up here last month, enjoying it so far, cant wait for the summer or what you call a summer to roll around.
Link Posted: 2/14/2008 5:07:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Summer is the shit dude... or what we call summer anyway.
~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 2:45:37 AM EDT
[#9]
My name is Daniel, and I live in Barrow.  I work for the P.D.
I am into my Faith in God, my Family, and Firearms.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/danomite45/Ofc-1.jpg
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey everyone, I think this is probably my first post on the board.  

I am a civil engineer normally in anchortown, but I think I spend more time in Point Lay than Danomite45.  Did I take that photo?here
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome greybear!
William A. took that photo.
See you on Thursday!

Danomite!
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 12:12:42 AM EDT
[#12]
And for those who haven't experienced shooting AR's below zero, you CAN get frostbite easily from a CAR buffer tube.  This happened shooting one evening at about -32F.  It didn't take but 3 shots.  It only hurts for a minute, then doesn'thttp://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n282/kodiak518/TravisARfrostbite.jpg
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 2:10:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I was with Greybear when he earned the frostbite.  he didn't tell you about the windchill, just straight temp.  We try to go out often and practice with our AR's when time allows.  The weather is what it is......no use waiting for a sunny day up here!
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 3:28:07 AM EDT
[#14]
jesus... I just don't see how you guys do it up there.
~Dg84
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 6:12:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: viper5243] [#15]

Originally Posted By The_Emu:

Originally Posted By viper5243:
James, 22 years old from NJ. College student. Working on my first AR at the moment. Big fan of Berettas and 1911's. Also love shooting the custom mauser

Welcome James, i grew up in Jersey too.  what part of jersey are you from and where in Alaska are you now.  Ben  

WWooWW took me long to reply. Havent checked this out in a while. Originally from North Brunswick. I go hunting up in Branchville, and spend the summers either down at Island Beach State Park or in beach haven west. Was living in the APU dorms but they frown on firearms so i bought a house over by West high.
Link Posted: 3/29/2008 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#16]
hello everyone,

i am a college student in OK and i was hopeing to get a hold of some one here... i am going to school for aviation related stuff, but would like to combine it with my second love wich is law enforcement. i know that the alaska state troopers have an aviation division but i have had no luck finding some one to communicate with! lol anyways it has been a life dream to live in alaska and i was hopeing if anyone had any information on how i can contact an official.

thanks

Rod
Link Posted: 3/29/2008 3:29:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MGNiko] [#17]

Originally Posted By TankHunter:
hello everyone,

i am a college student in OK and i was hopeing to get a hold of some one here... i am going to school for aviation related stuff, but would like to combine it with my second love wich is law enforcement. i know that the alaska state troopers have an aviation division but i have had no luck finding some one to communicate with! lol anyways it has been a life dream to live in alaska and i was hopeing if anyone had any information on how i can contact an official.

thanks

Rod

I went to Airman Flight School in Norman, OK myself (1999-2000).  

Dept. of Public Safety
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#18]
MTguns here, I just got orders to Valdez and will be there this summer.  Am looking forward to getting up there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Howdy all ...A big Welcome to the all the arfcom virgins and a howdy to the rest of my fellow Alaskans. I hail from Kodiak and yep...danomite said it ... you cant wait for the sun to shine so get out and do something. Dano... i like you already.
Funny stuff that bit about the frostbite from the buffer tube!
If anyone is headed this way drop me a line we'll hit the range and grab a beer. there's a couple of us Arfcomer's down here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 1:24:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Tom, in anc. Former Army (noncom in the 160th), now a mechanic for one of the local air lines. Been up here 17 years. Enjoy hunting, fishing, 4x4ing. Hope to see any of you around.
Tom
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Kyle here from North Pole.  I've been checking the site out for a couple of months.  My buddy told me about it, so thanks 20iner.  I'm 21 and a part time college student and work full time at Spenard Builders Supply.  I got into shooting after high school and have been loving every minute of it.  So howdy all!
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Howdy Y'all,

New the forum, relatively new to Alaska.

Livin' it up i Palmer, of all places....

Oh, and lest I forget...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x217/packfan92/015.jpg
My Daily Carry:  Kimber Pro Carry II with Crimson Trace Laser Grips
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Fairbanks member checking in. My name is Patrick Im 28 years old Im married and have a 9 year old son. I work as a construction surveyor. I work alot on the pipeline as well as on the slope. I just started shooting AR's about a year ago and I currently own 2. A DPMS AP4 Lr308 16" and a Bushmaster M4A3 16". its allways cool to hear what fellow shooters in my area are up too. I dont know anyone here besides family so it would be cool to meet up and chat with fellow shooters at the range if work permits.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#24]
well hello all i have just finished recovering from major shoulder sugury june2007 and doc released me 3wks ago and of course last year after getting hit by that truck city bourough of juneau fired my ass(so much for 11 years of work) cause i couldnt do my job! and would not find a place for me ha go figure the union suck big time MEBA in juneau//
talk a lot of crap take your money and do nothing unless it benifits them!!
oh yea got off on a tangent sorry,i have been home bound for a year and am looking forward to going shootin and fishing this summer;wife said dont worry about going to work yet take the summer off (yea lots of honey does )but it does bother me not working been doing it since 14 and it just drives me nut,that and looking for work isnt like it used to be damned 14 yrs and now i have to learn all that shit over and so far it is really differant at 52 whoa!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 1:14:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm Bradley. I'm 23, married, and I just got stationed in Fairbanks. I'm from Texas and while a lot of newcomers from the lower 48 expect to have a crummy time here, I am very excited about my stay (just don't tell my wife that- she's still in TX). It looks like I won't be here for the winter, but I probably will be next year.

I am really into C&R shooting and AR/AK building. I want to take my prewar Finn capture 91/30 hunting up here. Right now I'm looking into buying a car and exploring the town and countryside. I don't know a soul here outside my professional network, so I'd appreciate anyone taking the time to talk with me about stuff.
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 3:41:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Checking in from Dillingham, I don't see anyone else on here that's from Dilly but oh well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Greetings All!
My name is SkeeterEater and I'm a new Black Rifle-holic living in Anchorage.  Been in Alaska for 25 years, 51 years old, work in health care.   Spent 6 years with the Army back in the 70's.  Was exposed to BRD about 45 days ago and have since put together 2 stripped lowers, waiting on a RRA 18" varmint upper, and trying not to spend anymore on this new addiction for a month or two....maybe

Happy to be a member of this forum!  Great resource (and sic humor) !!!  
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 12:47:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Greetings, checking in from Wasilla.  Been lurking for a while and learning.  Bought a DPMS LR-308 AP4 a while back and am finalizing the setup.  Also joined to take advantage of the Anvil Arms lower group buy.  Looks like a nice deal.

Bruce
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Hello. Long time but intermittent lurker on ar15.com, and just found this Alaska/Hawaii forum. Never looked around beyond the AR-specific forums until I got a link to the Anvil Arms/Officer Dan thread.

Live and work in Anchorage, enjoy visiting the local shops, and don't shoot as much as I should.

Scott
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 2:58:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Hey guys, names Jon and got my first black rifle with my tax return this year.  I Live in anchorage and am impatiently waiting for the PFD this year for more EBR goodness.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 4:41:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Ken here, as most of you know, I'm coming back home.

I'll be in the valley and have some NFA toys (SBR GSG-5) and an AAC Pilot supressor.  Look forward to shooting with you guys.
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Intro as directed by moderator:

US Army stationed at Ft. Richardson.
Trigger time at FRA ranges, Rabbit Creek, North Birchwood.

Hope everyone has an outstanding day.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 2:37:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mrs_camo_ken] [#33]

Originally Posted By camo_ken:
Ken here, as most of you know, I'm coming back home.

I'll be in the valley and have some NFA toys (SBR GSG-5) and an AAC Pilot supressor.  Look forward to shooting with you guys.

Yeah, what he said!  and can't wait to FINALLY shoot them!  
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#34]
just checking in from sitka- new to the ar-15 so have a lot to learn!
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#35]
And we all have much to learn no matter how much we think we know.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Hi I am John.  I been up here for about a month now.  I am in Valdez but work has me in Cordova, Seward, Homer and Anchorage several times a year.

I have RRA Midlength and just put in for three more lowers from Spikes.  I will be in Palmer on Sept 7th for the CMP pistol match.

John
US Coast Guard
'96 to present
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Shot my AR last weekend for the first time so I thought I'd make my first official post.  Anvil Arms lower with a RRA 9mm upper, but apparently I still need the 9mm buffer and spring (it shot OK though; I'm blaming the misfeeds on the gunky used magazines).  When the mega-dividend arrives I'll get those, look at some optics, and maybe a few more accessories like a sling and forward grip.  I've also got a complete flat-top RRA .223 that's been on order since March.    I grew up on the Peninsula and am currently employed in criminal justice in Anchorage.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#38]
WELCOME ..... Do I know you ?
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#39]
height=8
Originally Posted By Sig40Fan:
WELCOME ..... Do I know you ?

Yup.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#40]
i cant remember if i introduced myself or not but my name is Ed. im gonna be 29years old next month. moved to anchorage in 89 from Houston,TX... YEE HAW!! (no im not country) lol. ive been employed with UPS for the last 6.5 years. ive been into firearms ever since i was a little kid.. i was the little kid in the neighborhood that had all the cool toy guns... i never did shoot the real thing until i was about 15 and it was just a .22 rifle. my parents were never really fans of "REAL" guns..  all my dad had was a winchester .300 mag for hunting and a 12 gauge for bear protection. i never fired any of them. never really had the chance to.  plus they never really got my attention.. i was more intrested in the military style rifles... so i basically didnt get my first gun until i moved out which was when i was 20 if i remeber correctly...  and as of today, i own 9 firearms and hopefully soon to be 10 total....(procrastinating over the Armalite AR-50)

i made this kinda long but to sum it up, i love shooting. i got somewhat of a good knowledge on guns. im a plinker not a hunter. i cant shoot living things unless they are shooting at me ha ha ha!  i considering myself having Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) when it comes time to cleaning any firearm. and my car! lol. i will take it apart 100% and clean everything until it looks new. i enjoy the disassemble and reassemble of firearms. its a hobby...  few friends say i should start a small business in gun cleaning.. anyway a few people recommended this site, they said theres good people here.  hope to hear from you!  

have ill meet up with you either at Birchwood or Rabbit Creek (if rabbit Creek lets you shoot FA there.)  or whereever you go. i dont really go to rabbit creek due to all there super strict rules, mainly the "rapid fire rule", unless im practicing my sighting. but whatever, i want to shoot a FA and ill pay for what ever it costs... That would make my day for sure!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I have been a member for awhile but never posted here. Mostly just lurking.
I live in Eagle River and have been in Alaska since 1980, minus a couple years in the late 90's.

I am slowly building my first AK. I sold my Anvil lower last summer so I could buy one on the group buy instead. Mostly I just watch Greybear build his.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 1:05:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Alright, which one of you is Gov. Palin?  The word is out in GD.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 2:26:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Hey, another Kodiak member here. Building my first AR, a Stag receiver'd SPR clone. I shoot here almost daily, mostly large caliber pistol and rimfire rifle. Hopefully this AR will be the first of many.

Link Posted: 9/13/2008 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#44]
ARGH! The BRD has struck again. Also, the community on ARFCOM is awesome.
My name is Chris and I am a college student at UAA. It's good to see black rifle enthusiasts in Alaska. I don't think I go to the rifle range enough.
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 1:57:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Evil4U] [#45]
Retired U.S. Army here in Fairbanks. Been a resident for 22 years and living in Fairbanks for 19.
Have my several AR-15's, CETME, and a pair of AK-47's.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#46]
John from Anchorage, lived in Alaska since '92, moved to Anchorage from Kodiak in '01, recently sold my 5.56mm AR-15 to build a 6.5mm Grendel rifle, currently working on a Saiga 12 and a second AK-47.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#47]
wow, nice to see theres a large gathering of AK'ers on here...

My name is Jay, from Anchorage, im 25, I am currently waiting on my first black rifle a 6" .22 factory SBR from Spikes Tactical ( have
My firearms list is kinda small, I currently have a Kimber Tactical Custom II, a Ruger 10/22 Target, and my grandfathers old 12Ga. Sears and Roebuck shotgun, and while I own b/c I paid for it but don't own b/c I have yet to go threw the interview with the APD and paid for my stamp (its sitting in my SOT's safe waiting on me and the SBR) a Tactical Innovations TAC65 Suppressor
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey guys just found this part of the forum, so put a check mark in the Petersburg column.

Former Military, big AR fan.  Have an RRA PP in OD (amazingly accurate) and am just about done with a lightweight carbine project.  Anyway nice to meet everyone and hope to see ya around the forums.
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Steven here, living in North Pole, AK at least for the near-future.  Lurked here for a long time, but never bothered signing up for the forums until a few days ago.

Might have unknowingly passed a few of you at the recent gun show at UAF.
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#50]

Hi new Ak posters.

Nice to know you are here with us.

~R

Page / 9
Tacked Alaskans: Check in (Page 5 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top