Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 4/28/2022 6:18:23 AM EDT
Is it b/c of my advanced age (close to 80) or my LEO expectations being set too high here in Summit County,  

BUT when a homeowner couple themselves collars a home 'kick the door in' intruder in their own inhabited residence and they call "911," why does the Akron Police Dispatch ask them all these questions?

Akron Homeowner Holds Intruder at Gunpoint Until Police Arrive

“Are they not able to get out?” asked the dispatcher.
View Quote

"...no, but we gave her a nice warm latte as she waited here at gunpoint..."

“OK, do you know who this woman is?” the dispatcher then asked.
View Quote

"...no, we asked for her ID, but she said she doesn't need any stinking ID..."

Duh! She's a freaking HOME INVADER--That's why we're calling YOU the Police!

a law-abiding couple in their own home--and the PD infers the invader should like maybe "get out" of this predicament by fleeing?
...sure would make the Akron PD's job easier: "Police Report--Responded to call; perp gone. Case closed."

...looking for a friend....
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Another reason I'm glad I left that sinking ship of a City. Between that, and the Lerch story, there is no hope for Akron.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are trying to evaluate the severity of the situation.  You're too bothered by minutia.  The cops were on their way.  The dispatcher's job is to gather as much information as possible.  Most normal people are invaded by someone that knows them. A rando off the street is a rarity. People are not robots, they sometimes don't follow the precise script. PS, if the invader gets out, the risk to the home owners is reduced in pretty much every circumstance. This is the second home invasion story in as many weeks that APD has been nothing but supportive of the victims.
View Quote

Did the dispatcher "dispatch" and continue to gather info to be relayed to the LEO's enroute, or was the dispatch made after the info was collected?

FWIW, I get that not all 911 calls are true emergencies. However, we once had a patient at our outpatient clinic that exhibited signs of a possible heart attack and I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle the 911 dispatcher who wanted to play 10 questions as to just how serious the patient's condition was before rolling the ambulance.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

At our place one is on the phone, and another is on the radio.
View Quote

Most places are set up like that.  It is a team of call-taker / dispatcher.  One gets the info, the other sends it out.  It isn't like TV where dispatch is some old lady waiting by a phone, by herself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#6]
The call taker has a script they follow, in many cases units are being dispatched as they continue to gather information and updating the 'card'. You'd be glad they got a description of the perp if that perp was able to escape but spotted by a responding unit and detained. The more info the responding units have the better. Most importantly I want them to have my (the caller's) info/description so I am not mistaken for the perp.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the dispatcher "dispatch" and continue to gather info to be relayed to the LEO's enroute, or was the dispatch made after the info was collected?

FWIW, I get that not all 911 calls are true emergencies. However, we once had a patient at our outpatient clinic that exhibited signs of a possible heart attack and I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle the 911 dispatcher who wanted to play 10 questions as to just how serious the patient's condition was before rolling the ambulance.

That is how Akron is set up ??
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That is how Akron is set up ??
View Quote

"Suicide Bridge" "Zippity Doo Dah" Zips

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top