Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2020 8:57:56 AM EDT
What is UP with the FREAKING yankee transplant drivers??

Yankees, the flow of traffic is 20% over the limit. If you are doing under the limit because you’re used to being ass raped by the New Jersey State Brownshirts - YOU are the safety issue, not they. If you don’t want to do 83mph take a side street and get off the interstate. If you don’t want to merge at the speed traffic is traveling YOU are the safety issue.

The lights have TIMERS that count down on the sides of the intersection for pedestrians. When it gets to ZERO this means the light is turning YELLOW. If you are a block away and it has 5 seconds left you can actually speed up a little bit and avoid having to waste 1-2 minutes of your life at a red light. You might actually make alllll the rest of your red lights on that street because the lights are TIMED appropriately. This is not just for your benefit. Usually, there is an alert more intelligent local that is behind you and expecting you to speed up.

I’m convinced the reason people DON’T speed up is not because they are afraid of the ass rape they are used to, but because they are texting and reading their Democratic Underground propaganda and not paying attention. There’s no way anyone would deliberately sit at a light.

Finally, thanks for coming. We are happy to you’re here
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#1]
As a yankee transplant, even after years, I admit I have to remind myself that speed limits aren't strictly enforced here.

It's hard to break the habit of driving by the book when you come from a place where the police enforced traffic regulations regularly.

If I can't break my conditioning soon, I may have to buy a Mercedes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#2]
In all seriousness, I have always lived here and consistently driven well over the limit. I typically go 60 in a 45. But of course there’s 60 in a 45 when no one else is around and weaving through traffic like a jackass. I am not the latter. I’m also never speeding (even by a single mph) in school zones and drive under the limit in neighborhoods.

Knock on wood, but I have *never* gotten a speeding ticket in CONUS.

Is it truly different in other states?

I’ve never even heard of someone getting a ticket for <10 over, so I fail to understand why anyone wouldn’t drive at least that fast.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#3]
OP completely nailed this one.  In my time in the Army, I was stationed in: N.C., CO., IL., MO., GA., with lengthy TDY in KS. and VA.  I found that if you drive like the locals, you will be fine/not BE the problem and not get a ticket.  Our Northern friends do not seem to understand that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In all seriousness, I have always lived here and consistently driven well over the limit. I typically go 60 in a 45. But of course there's 60 in a 45 when no one else is around and weaving through traffic like a jackass. I am not the latter. I'm also never speeding (even by a single mph) in school zones and drive under the limit in neighborhoods.

I've never even heard of someone getting a ticket for <10 over, so I fail to understand why anyone wouldn't drive at least that fast.
View Quote
I just moved here from Ohio, where the State Highway Patrol thinks that every car passing by is a drug mule and is treated as such.  5 over the limit is safe there, but not much more.  No front plate?  Pulled over.  Noticeable window tint?  Pulled over.  7 over the limit?  Pulled over.

Here's an example of how bad it can be up there, a village had to be dissolved because it existed just to make money off tickets  New Rome, OH
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes I'm from NYC. Bronx to be exact.  I vote R & like my Freedom.
And yes I like the Yankees!  
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In all seriousness, I have always lived here and consistently driven well over the limit. I typically go 60 in a 45. But of course there’s 60 in a 45 when no one else is around and weaving through traffic like a jackass. I am not the latter. I’m also never speeding (even by a single mph) in school zones and drive under the limit in neighborhoods.

I’ve never even heard of someone getting a ticket for <10 over, so I fail to understand why anyone wouldn’t drive at least that fast.
View Quote
born and raised here (but have driven all over the world), the only ticket i have ever received was on 4 lane us 41 in pasco county. i was doing 60 in a 45 (no speed limit signs i figured it was 55), i was ticketed by fhp $485 and 4 points on my license. i voluntary took the drivers course and it did nothing for my points. i paid almost triple insurance rates for the next 3 years, and almost lost my fucking job. (december 31 1999). YMMV
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is UP with the FREAKING yankee transplant drivers??

Yankees, the flow of traffic is 20% over the limit. If you are doing under the limit because you’re used to being ass raped by the New Jersey State Brownshirts - YOU are the safety issue, not they. If you don’t want to do 83mph take a side street and get off the interstate. If you don’t want to merge at the speed traffic is traveling YOU are the safety issue.

The lights have TIMERS that count down on the sides of the intersection for pedestrians. When it gets to ZERO this means the light is turning YELLOW. If you are a block away and it has 5 seconds left you can actually speed up a little bit and avoid having to waste 1-2 minutes of your life at a red light. You might actually make alllll the rest of your red lights on that street because the lights are TIMED appropriately. This is not just for your benefit. Usually, there is an alert more intelligent local that is behind you and expecting you to speed up.

I’m convinced the reason people DON’T speed up is not because they are afraid of the ass rape they are used to, but because they are texting and reading their Democratic Underground propaganda and not paying attention. There’s no way anyone would deliberately sit at a light.

Finally, thanks for coming. We are happy to you’re here
View Quote

Because some of us don't want to take the chance of being nabbed by a new, gung ho cop that wants to make a name for himself and write us up to the letter of the law because he's still pissed off about the war of northern aggression.  We also recognize, that because of all the asshole drivers in FL, that insurance rates are quite high already and we don't want a ticket to magnify that problem any further.  Funny how you native drivers never take any responsibility for the endless supply of left lane hangers that block the flow of traffic and cause the impatient to make hasty lane changes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Over the years I've notice more and more aggressive and or inconsiderate driving everywhere.  OP, you might fall into that category...
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And what about those towns on 301 I think? Stark maybe?
They pull you over for everything.
View Quote
hampton, lawtey, and waldo (were the speed traps on 301, lawtey and waldo were nationally recognized by AAA as speed traps and would maintain billboards warning drivers). their dept's no longer exist.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#12]
There's always people on our roads visiting from the North East and you have to understand that in Long Island for example you have cops hiding behind overpasses and behind trees to get people going 10 over the limit. You had to assume there was always a cop hiding somewhere. I went back 3 years ago and just hated driving on the Southern State Parkway in Long Island, got used to being able to do 80+ in Florida, could barely do 65 on the Southern Stake Pkwy!
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well you should notify the cop’s on Marco Island because they strictly enforce the speed limit in their jurisdiction.

And what about those towns on 301 I think? Stark maybe?
They pull you over for everything.

Hey and I forgot those Indians in the Everglades on Rt 41 they are brutal.

Editing to say OP is full of shit you have as many revenue collectors as other states now that I think of them.
View Quote
What the fuck are you talking about?

I never said anything about revenue collectors.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Simple you said the speed limit in Florida is 20% over the posted limit. I simply gave several examples that I know of where cops in Florida enforce the posted limit vigorously.

Just another I’m better than you because of where I was born thread.
View Quote
Oh. Now I get it. Your feelings got hurt.

Yes, in a state with 18m people and as large as Florida you will get nailed in speed trap towns on 301, and the Indian reservations, and military bases, and even unknown towns like Kenneth City.

But generally speaking you can do 20% over and not get pulled over. Just use your eyes, pay attention, and don’t be a dumbass.

PS I am better than you, but not because of where I was born.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#16]
done
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top