Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2023 7:39:01 PM EDT
I never had any desire to ride on road, I’ve done it some in the past as a kid around the subdivision, and some scooters when i was young, but I’ve ridden dirt all my life.quads, bikes, woods raced. I have a small moto track on my farm, couple 60’ doubles, berms..anyways for some reason I’m wanting a road bike. Scheduled to get permit next week and curious what the written test is like. I haven’t tested for anything in 30 years and that was a plumbing test. My current bike is a 2020 300xc, and i can ride…but, the road and traffic is a whole nuther animal. I just want to ride local(rural). Tips/advice?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#1]
The permit test is easy - common sense should be all that is needed and there are practice test questions on the internet.  Not sure what type of bike you have your eye on, but if your plan is to ride rural, I would highly suggest a dual sport or adventure bike.  Something that can easily manage the highway for any trips you might want to take that also can easily be ridden on the backroads - gravel or paved.  Tons of good bikes out there, Suzuki Vstrom, Honda African Twin, KTM's, Yamaha Tenere, several BMW's, etc. to chose from.  You won't be happy on a cruiser coming from that 300 XC and will get bored quickly if you have one in mind.  For something different, the wife and I use this website to find gravel and off road areas to ride.

Gravel Maps
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Was thinking maybe a cruiser but they do look dumpy but comfortable. Hate riding crotch rockets. Probably going with a ktm 890 or norden 901.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Riding on the street is an entirely different animal. EVERYONE is out to kill you. Just keep that in the front of your brain at all times.
I would suggest you look at a duel sport with the lightest weight and the most power. Most likely, a cruiser will bore you rather quickly. A dual sport with street tires is a bucket of fun and comfy.

Taking the Safety class will get you your license and lower your insurance. That is how I did it years ago.
https://ride.ky.gov/Pages/index.aspx
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 6:53:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Went looking at some bikes. Really like the triumph scrambler. At least the looks and how it feels to sit on. Lexington moto sports has a leftover 2020 suzuki vstrom. Not really budging on price. Looks cool, but is probably kinda gutless compared to other bikes in its class. Just an assumption.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
VSTROM 1000 or 650?
The 1000 is not even close to gutless. The 650 has the SV650 engine. It is a ball under 65. Both are super dependable.

Just a note... unless they changed it, the 650 engine has the oil pickup in the front so you do not want to ride any long wheelies.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#6]
It’s the 1050. Nice looking bike. Today I think I’m leaning towards a triumph tiger 850. Very comfortable and got price down to 10,900 otd.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got my permit a few hours ago. Need a bike.

Also a helmet. Thinking I may go with the hickory i90 and get the Bluetooth speaker kit.

Any suggestions on that? My max helmet is a fox. Always used hjc’s in past cause I like new fresh helmets and they’re decent and on the cheaper side. Street won’t be as dirty so probably should spend a little more.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I have always likes AGV helmets. I had one Nolan that was OK but have never found an HJC that fit me right.
You might consider a Shoei. I think they are a bit pricey but they are very comfortable and seem lower on wind noise to me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The permit test is easy - common sense should be all that is needed and there are practice test questions on the internet.  Not sure what type of bike you have your eye on, but if your plan is to ride rural, I would highly suggest a dual sport or adventure bike.  Something that can easily manage the highway for any trips you might want to take that also can easily be ridden on the backroads - gravel or paved.  Tons of good bikes out there, Suzuki Vstrom, Honda African Twin, KTM's, Yamaha Tenere, several BMW's, etc. to chose from.  You won't be happy on a cruiser coming from that 300 XC and will get bored quickly if you have one in mind.  For something different, the wife and I use this website to find gravel and off road areas to ride.

Gravel Maps
View Quote

@kyspiked

I used your map and about 10 min from here is a 5 mile section. It was nice, couple of washed out hills. Couple of breed of peace that chased you, but not the bite the tire type, the wag and run with you type.

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh, and bike i bought. Its ok, you have to turn off traction control every time you start it out it will rob you of power. Naked bike is in the near future…

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice bike.
If I ever sell the SV, I will get something similar to that one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Well i upgraded my bike 3 months ago. It’s a tiger 900 gt pro. Thought I’d update here.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have always likes AGV helmets. I had one Nolan that was OK but have never found an HJC that fit me right.
You might consider a Shoei. I think they are a bit pricey but they are very comfortable and seem lower on wind noise to me.
View Quote

The HJC i had was uncomfortable, but i didnt know it til i tried on an arai. It’s made for egg heads and HJC are round heads. Was like putting a pillow on my head.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I sold my 300xc 3 months ago to upgrade to the gt pro.

I am now bored with street and on a mission to get back to dirt. Pretty sure I’m going back with ktm 2 stroke, but hearing good things about the yz450fx, if anyone has experience with it, especially compared to the 300xc I’d appreciate your opinion. Ive owned so many bike/quads of the jap flavor for the last 30 years but have never owned a yammi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top