Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2022 7:48:30 AM EDT
I've gotten back into target shooting, both rifle and pistol these last couple years.  I've used the state range, wooster, blue trail, and delta when I wanted to get out.  Being self employed, I like to go shooting a lot during the week and wooster is only open on wed and the state range in Glastonbury isn't open during the week at all.  Blue trail is nice but expensive if I want to go shooting for a couple hours with my girlfriend.

That brings me to looking into a private range.  There's two close to me, Bristol fish and game and Wolcott landowner's association.  I was wondering if anyone had recommendations / experience shooting at either and how I could go about meeting folks who are member at either for sponsoring.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
For public ranges, you may want to look at Wolf's in Bristol. They have a 25 yard indoor range, and you can shoot most pistols, PCCs (I believe that they may have some caliber limitations), and rimfire rifles. Their rules and rates aren't too bad for an indoor range pay range.

I'm a member of Prospect Gun Club (in Prospect, near Cheshire). Dues are very affordable and the wait list process isn't bad compared to other clubs. The downside is that range hours are limited. We have a 100 yard outdoor range for rifle, pistol, shotgun, and archery.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Most clubs have waiting lists that are at least 1-2 years out, if not more.. Best bet is to get on a few that are near you. Most clubs require a sponsor because they want to make sure someone vouches for the prospective member. Nobody is going to recommend someone who is dangerous or doesn't belong.

In order to meet members of a club you need to attend meetings, if non-members are allowed, or attend their public events.

The Hartford Gun Club is in Granby by the Airport and has terrific facilities. A little expensive compared to most other clubs but they usually can get you right in. Before I got into my current club I belonged and really enjoyed the facilities. The people were nice, there was never a wait for a spot to shoot. I went mostly on weekends with my son. If it wasn't a 45 minute drive for me I would have stayed a member.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top