Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2020 5:17:55 PM EDT
I will be avoiding national parks.

I am curious about backpacking/camping in the surrounding national forest areas, particularly the Bridger-Teton and Shoshone National Forests.

It looks like there are some great hikes in the Wind River Range. Other ideas are welcome. I just get a little worn out looking at Alltrails, and could use a nudge in the right direction.

The less popular, the better. TIA

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Research the cirque of the towers. The best way in is through the big sandy opening. We did a 40 mile circuit over 7 days. It was better than advertised. Check though to see if backpacking is open now. Currently the National Forests are only open to camping in designated spots such as campgrounds.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I spent a lot of time hunting those areas.  You'll be hard pressed to find an area that isn't beautiful.  Please take more bear precautions than you think you need.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be putting the trip off for a while. I thought I'd have some more time before going back to my old job, but it looks like I'll be returning sooner than I thought.

I've seen and read so many awesome things about your state that I can't wait to visit it someday.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 3:20:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Research the cirque of the towers. The best way in is through the big sandy opening. We did a 40 mile circuit over 7 days. It was better than advertised. Check though to see if backpacking is open now. Currently the National Forests are only open to camping in designated spots such as campgrounds.

View Quote

Where did you hear that ? I know camping was/is restricted in the campgrounds but I have not heard anything that backpacking was restricted in undeveloped spots.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Where did you hear that ? I know camping was/is restricted in the campgrounds but I have not heard anything that backpacking was restricted in undeveloped spots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just called the Pinedale forest service and asked if there was restrictions due to the virus and they said no. Maybe its changed in the last few weeks I don't know but I don't think there is an issue now.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#7]
The camping restrictions for WY have been lifted. Same goes for MT. It should never have been restricted.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I spent a lot of time hunting those areas.  You'll be hard pressed to find an area that isn't beautiful.  Please take more bear precautions than you think you need.  
View Quote

What handgun/round do you carry for bear?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top