Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2021 9:28:54 AM EDT
Well its a shit show, no water, no power since 2 am yesterday now my ATT cell service is barely letting me view pages. Anyone else wondering if they pissed on a pet cemetery?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Hang in there. Hope you have a generator and/or fireplace.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#2]
<-lives near Abi

Power went out 2am on Monday for us, came back on for an hour 4 ish yesterday, been out since.  

Wife and I bottled as much water as we could yesterday before it gets shut off.  

This is unreal.  I have lived in this area my whole life and have NEVER experienced anything like this.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hang in there. Hope you have a generator and/or fireplace.
View Quote

Not a damn thing, sent the wife and kids to the inlaws 5 minutes away who have power.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not a damn thing, sent the wife and kids to the inlaws 5 minutes away who have power.
View Quote

Do you know what company your in-laws are with?...AEP...Taylor?  I live just to west and south of Hawley...Hawley 8 miles north of Abilene...and we're on Taylor.  A friend in Hawley is on AEP, and he's been out since Sunday night and no rolling blackouts...no power at all.  Fortunately he's an electrical wizard and a competent male, so he created his own generator system plugged into his house and handles his own fuel issue.  People just a few blocks away in Hawley on Taylor Electric have only had the rolling blackouts like I've had.

With Taylor at my place we've had the power on more than off...usually 3-4 hours on, 2 hours off.  I've got my own generating system like him, so we've been fine during the down time so we can continue to watch TV, etc.  We have an efficient wood burning stove with plenty of wood, so we haven't really even had to run the central heat, but I could.  This is my wife's and my retirement home, so there's only two of us with a 1600 sq. ft., highly insulated home.

We heard the water would go off since we're on the Hawley water system which is connected to the Abilene system.  We have low pressure, but we've never lost water so far.  Apparently we will have to do the boil thing, but we also tanked up on a bunch of water before the problems.  We have friends in Abilene who haven't had power or water for two days and only electric heat.  

This has been an odd pattern with so many variables within a few mile radius of Abilene.  I figure if the grid is broken, everyone would have similar results, but that's not been the case.  Weird.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do you know what company your in-laws are with?...AEP...Taylor?  I live just to west and south of Hawley...Hawley 8 miles north of Abilene...and we're on Taylor.  A friend in Hawley is on AEP, and he's been out since Sunday night and no rolling blackouts...no power at all.  Fortunately he's an electrical wizard and a competent male, so he created his own generator system plugged into his house and handles his own fuel issue.  People just a few blocks away in Hawley on Taylor Electric have only had the rolling blackouts like I've had.

With Taylor at my place we've had the power on more than off...usually 3-4 hours on, 2 hours off.  I've got my own generating system like him, so we've been fine during the down time so we can continue to watch TV, etc.  We have an efficient wood burning stove with plenty of wood, so we haven't really even had to run the central heat, but I could.  This is my wife's and my retirement home, so there's only two of us with a 1600 sq. ft., highly insulated home.

We heard the water would go off since we're on the Hawley water system which is connected to the Abilene system.  We have low pressure, but we've never lost water so far.  Apparently we will have to do the boil thing, but we also tanked up on a bunch of water before the problems.  We have friends in Abilene who haven't had power or water for two days and only electric heat.  

This has been an odd pattern with so many variables within a few mile radius of Abilene.  I figure if the grid is broken, everyone would have similar results, but that's not been the case.  Weird.
View Quote

They have AEP but are the hospital line, my work is out by Merkel who is on Taylor Electric and there is rolling power. AEP says they are being told by Ercot to just cut it, Ercot is saying they gave the providers leeway to cut as they see fit. AEP apparently said fuck it cut 20000 and leave them off so we don't have to do the hard work of rolling.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They have AEP but are the hospital line, my work is out by Merkel who is on Taylor Electric and there is rolling power. AEP says they are being told by Ercot to just cut it, Ercot is saying they gave the providers leeway to cut as they see fit. AEP apparently said fuck it cut 20000 and leave them off so we don't have to do the hard work of rolling.
View Quote

25 hours no power here.  This is bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

25 hours no power here.  This is bullshit.
View Quote

It does sound like AEP's system of providing periodic electricity by reasonable rolling blackouts has been a shitshow.  Taylor for some reason has provided a pretty consistent pattern of 2 hours off, 3-4 hours on.  Someone at Taylor needs an attaboy perhaps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top