Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2022 6:09:01 AM EDT
Saw an article about people in pine/strawberry having wells run dry

Lake Powell is low

Rio verde foothills will be cut off from Scottsdale in December for hauling water for residents

Critical water shortage, wells running dry in Arizona community of Pine-Strawberry

Community of Rio Verde Foothills heads toward water cutoff in 6 months

Thoughts??
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#1]
We're screwed. Thousands of people moving here a month, and no plan or way to bring more water to the state.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#2]
The lawns and Golf courses are also part of the problem ,it's a Desert . It's time to do something B4 it's too late.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
For now the areas supplied by the Salt river system are doing fine, it’s other areas that are hurting.
One of the big things has been transition of farm land to residential.
Looking at places like Chandler where an acre of farm turned into 4 or more houses exponentially at least quadrupled water usage demand for the same area.

I keep an eye on lake levels in the Salt system, and there really hasn’t been that much of a change over the past 10 years, and that’s even taking in to account how little snow fall we’ve been getting the past few years.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The Colorado reservoirs are what seem to be hurting.  How much water is getting diverted up in Colorado for wheat, hay, and marijuana cultivation?

We already know that government isn't the solution.  They will beat the "running out of water" drum for votes and milk it for all it's worth until people are dropping dead, and then come up with some half assed solution that enrichens their fellow elites but only works half the time.  What they really should be doing is taking Israel's lead and building a few state-of-the-art desalinization plants on the Pacific Coast and piping the water to storage in Vegas and Phoenix.  Pipeline some to Lake Powell if they could agree on it's utility as a tourist destination.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Water, or rather the control of it, has always been an issue west of the Mississippi. If you look at the dates the water consortiums were established, they go back to the original settlers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#7]
It's almost as if uncontrolled growth, urban sprawl,  and population migration are a bad thing...who could have seen this coming?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Water hauling will continue. Politicians will keep approving permits to build as well. In the 1920’s the southwest was wet and things change.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#9]
What happened to the 100 year water rule, and water banking?
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Colorado reservoirs are what seem to be hurting.  How much water is getting diverted up in Colorado for wheat, hay, and marijuana cultivation?

We already know that government isn't the solution.  They will beat the "running out of water" drum for votes and milk it for all it's worth until people are dropping dead, and then come up with some half assed solution that enrichens their fellow elites but only works half the time.  What they really should be doing is taking Israel's lead and building a few state-of-the-art desalinization plants on the Pacific Coast and piping the water to storage in Vegas and Phoenix.  Pipeline some to Lake Powell if they could agree on it's utility as a tourist destination.
View Quote

You're reaching for the most expensive solution first. If there is ever a water shortage it would be easier to stop exporting alfalfa to Saudi Arabia than to spend a billion dollars importing water that would cost a family of four about $2200/yr.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What happened to the 100 year water rule, and water banking?
View Quote

It doesn't apply to the entire state.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It doesn't apply to the entire state.
View Quote
OW!

Who's SOL?
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OW!

Who's SOL?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#14]
@HIMARS13A ,

Thanks.
I thought most of the state was covered.

Well on the bright side, property values in the sticks might finally go  back down to sanity.
Once water gets difficult and expensive to get.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@HIMARS13A ,

Thanks.
I thought most of the state was covered.

Well on the bright side, property values in the sticks might finally go  back down to sanity.
Once water gets difficult and expensive to get.
View Quote

Some of the problems are kinda weird to me, Pine-Strawberry is struggling because they don't have enough water but they also have leaky pipes. They can't bond more to repair what they've got. What they desperately need is more connections to spread the cost out, but they need someone that is willing to pay a large amount of money up front. Other places have dealt with that by charging hotels... a hotel would have to pay enough to offset five times their annual water use, the money would be used by the water district to fund conservation measures in existing properties.

You'll know that AZ is running out of water when people start to think about it, and more importantly, spend on it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I’ve been watching this guys reports for several months now, more tied to the Nevada side, but it’s going to affect a lot of Eastern Arizonans as well…

Lake Mead Drought Update!!! What's Going On?!!!

Central Arizona water levels as of today…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:08:13 AM EDT
[#17]
https://www.pagetwo.completecolorado.com/2022/06/18/walcher-declining-water-levels-caused-by-government-not-climate/

Once again, the government is sacrifing us today, to make their better future world.

A lovely quote from the article ~ "It's Hard to Fill a Bathtub When the Drain is Wide Open."
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:04:17 AM EDT
[#18]
From what I have read it has little to do with population growth. Our water usage from the Colorado was planned based on record setting wet years so over time average years vs usage tapped out the supply.

Most of the water is used for agriculture. Not urban use.  We simply cannot irrigate farms in the southwest deserts during drought conditions. No amount of urban water saving will make a significant impact on the Colorado river supply.  We going to have to reduce agriculture use forcing them into drip systems rather flood irrigation or simply shut down farming in az and southern California until we have wetter years in the Colorado river.

They are unlikely to cause water shortages in cities when they can just cut off farmers.  We are just going to have more expensive food especially during the winter since more will have to be imported
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Some of the problems are kinda weird to me, Pine-Strawberry is struggling because they don't have enough water but they also have leaky pipes. They can't bond more to repair what they've got. What they desperately need is more connections to spread the cost out, but they need someone that is willing to pay a large amount of money up front. Other places have dealt with that by charging hotels... a hotel would have to pay enough to offset five times their annual water use, the money would be used by the water district to fund conservation measures in existing properties.

You'll know that AZ is running out of water when people start to think about it, and more importantly, spend on it.
View Quote

Yeah the PSWD is a freaking nightmare infrastructurally..  I swear they are repairing pipes in our cabins areas streets every month.  Its better than it has been though, not seeing as many wet spots as years past.  I think they just took care of a big leak recently too.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
From what I have read it has little to do with population growth. Our water usage from the Colorado was planned based on record setting wet years so over time average years vs usage tapped out the supply.

Most of the water is used for agriculture. Not urban use.  We simply cannot irrigate farms in the southwest deserts during drought conditions. No amount of urban water saving will make a significant impact on the Colorado river supply.  We going to have to reduce agriculture use forcing them into drip systems rather flood irrigation or simply shut down farming in az and southern California until we have wetter years in the Colorado river.

They are unlikely to cause water shortages in cities when they can just cut off farmers.  We are just going to have more expensive food especially during the winter since more will have to be imported
View Quote

I'd rather choke out Phoenix. It's essentially a policy goal for many of us in rural counties at this point.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'd rather choke out Phoenix. It's essentially a policy goal for many of us in rural counties at this point.
View Quote

I concur.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top