Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2019 1:41:40 PM EDT
@AZTrooper

Having some discussions with my drivers led to some questions that I thought I knew the answers to...

On a divided roadway / city street with a paved, built up median (landscaping / light standards etc.) - when a school bus stops to pick up / drop off kids on the OPPOSITE side of the road, do you need to stop.
My thinking was traffic should be stopping only in the direction the bus is travelling - again, referring to a physically divided road.

On the same divided roadway, with emergency vehicles running hot / code 3, ALL traffic stops (or is supposed to stop), as fire trucks etc., may decide to / may need to cross or drive over the median to get around and get where they are going.

What constitutes "criminal speeding"?
I thought it was 20 MPH or more over the posted speed limit or over 85 MPH on the freeways / interstate highways.

Thanks,
-CG
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I know you didn’t ask me, but I always understood that if there is a median that the traffic going the opposite direction isn’t required to stop. In for affirmation I guess.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know you didn’t ask me, but I always understood that if there is a median that the traffic going the opposite direction isn’t required to stop. In for affirmation I guess.
View Quote
Same. I can't honestly say I've ever seen someone going in the opposite direction stop if it's a divided highway.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 4:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]
If raised median, no need for stopping.

Criminal speed is 20 over .
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#4]
You must be within 1/4 mile of occupied building for criminal speeding. If you are out in open areas it is just civil speeding.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#5]
28-701.02. Excessive speeds; classification

A. A person shall not:

1. Exceed thirty-five miles per hour approaching a school crossing.

2. Exceed the posted speed limit in a business or residential district by more than twenty miles per hour, or if no speed limit is posted, exceed forty-five miles per hour.

3. Exceed eighty-five miles per hour in other locations.

B. A person who violates subsection A of this section is guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#6]
For the school bus question: 28-857, specifically 28-857E1 is what you are talking about. And you are correct.

For the question about authorized emergency vehicles: 28-775 makes no mention of a divided highway, roadway or controlled access highway. But just that all drivers should pull to the right and remain there until the emergency vehicle has passed.

Someone already linked 28-701.02 which is the criminal speed statue.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@AZTrooper

Having some discussions with my drivers led to some questions that I thought I knew the answers to...

On a divided roadway / city street with a paved, built up median (landscaping / light standards etc.) - when a school bus stops to pick up / drop off kids on the OPPOSITE side of the road, do you need to stop.
My thinking was traffic should be stopping only in the direction the bus is travelling - again, referring to a physically divided road.

On the same divided roadway, with emergency vehicles running hot / code 3, ALL traffic stops (or is supposed to stop), as fire trucks etc., may decide to / may need to cross or drive over the median to get around and get where they are going.

What constitutes "criminal speeding"?
I thought it was 20 MPH or more over the posted speed limit or over 85 MPH on the freeways / interstate highways.

Thanks,
-CG
View Quote
@CowboyGunner

Sorry sir, I do not know how I missed this thread.

Question #1, School bus with divided median, you do NOT need to stop.   All other roadways, painted median, 2-way turn, you SHALL stop

There are three types of Criminal Speed.  I just wrote one to some asshole in my neighborhood.

#1   Speed greater than 35 in posted 15 mph school zone.
#2   Speed greater than 20 MPH over posted on residential roadway   (Stopped a guy yesterday for 62 in a 35, next to a school )
#3   Speed greater than 85 MPH.

The code is 28-702.01  then either A1,A2,A3 for the different violations.

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You must be within 1/4 mile of occupied building for criminal speeding. If you are out in open areas it is just civil speeding.
View Quote
Not sure if serious.  Shooting within 1/4 mile of occupied building?
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was stopped by Maricopa Co officer west of Salt river Recreation on Bush Hiway doing 34 over ( 79 in a 45 zone) on my motorcycle. I asked if this was criminal speeding ticket and he said since you are in rural area more than 1/4 mile from residence it will just be a civil speeding ticket. Maybe he was wrong but I was relieved to just get a civil ticket...…….
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was stopped by Maricopa Co officer west of Salt river Recreation on Bush Hiway doing 34 over ( 79 in a 45 zone) on my motorcycle. I asked if this was criminal speeding ticket and he said since you are in rural area more than 1/4 mile from residence it will just be a civil speeding ticket. Maybe he was wrong but I was relieved to just get a civil ticket....
View Quote
Well, he was just being nice, but he was full of crap.  If he wrote you a civil ticket, good for you.  A lot of guys don't write the criminal knowing they will definitely go to court for it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks to all for the replies.
I like learning and clarification.

Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#12]
find it funny there is a differentiation between raised median and no median, if the school kids are going to play frogger across a six lane street, the only chance they have to survive is a raised median...

maybe the real intent of a law is a two lane road with just a stripe down the middle.  Does AZ state law allow a school bus to drop off a child on the opposite side of the street.  I didn't think any state allowed it but during the recent rash of school bus indicidents where kids where hit by cars, at least one state would pick up and drop off kids from the opposite side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top