Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2022 3:32:43 PM EDT
Relocating from WI to Easley in the very near future.  WI allows ATVs on public roads through local ordinances.  Each locality gets to decide where they will allow ATVs on their particular roads.  I currently live in a very small town in a rural area and I can legally take my ATV damn near everywhere.  I often use it to run errands (get groceries, post office, and such).

Maybe I'm just stupid, but SC laws are clear as mud on this subject.  SC states that ATVs are not supposed to be operated on public roads.  When I google-fu, the common answer is that the law doesn't state that you can operate an ATV on public roads, but it doesn't state that you can't either.  

How does the use of ATVs on public roads in SC work?  Locally determined?  Not at all?  Other?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Currently you can not operate UTV or SxS on any county or state maintained road even the dirt or gravy roads. Private roads it is up to the owner.

Reason I say currently is there is a bill in conference committee because the senate and the house could not agree on the bill. The bill as it stands would allow insured SxS vehicles to be registered and operated on any road with a speed limit of 55mph or less by a licensed driver. It does define SxS as sit in rather than sit on, so no 4 wheelers.

We are in a wait and see moment. Ii don't have any idea when the conference is scheduled to meet or if it would be open to the public. Once the conference agrees then it will go directly to the governor's desk for signing. There will be a 1 year wait before it goes into effect. This is to allow DMV to setup registration abilities. So hopefully by end of next year.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#2]
http://scdps.sc.gov/ohsjp/DrivinginSC/golf-cart-law

Put a golf sticker on it and profit.  Large mixed drink, not beer not wine, in a cup holder optional but seemingly required in the Greater Irmo-Chapin Metroplex.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://scdps.sc.gov/ohsjp/DrivinginSC/golf-cart-law

Put a golf sticker on it and profit.  Large mixed drink, not beer not wine, in a cup holder optional but seemingly required in the Greater Irmo-Chapin Metroplex.

View Quote

I like the way you think.  Already got the cup holder.  I could buy a cheap set of golf clubs and cruise around with them on the back rack to help sell it.

And just to clarify, I am referring to a 4 wheeler or quad, not a UTV/SxS.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Drunk people on golf carts is a normal thing in charleston. I think they made a law they had to be plated but it doesnt seemed to be enforced. Also seems like there is no age or license requirement.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
4 wheelers meet the definition of a “motor vehicle”. So, you would need insurance and all proper safety equipment.

You could potentially make a case for it being an “implement of husbandry” if you used it on a farm.

You are more likely to see enforcement in some areas of the state than in others. But, it’s currently “illegal” everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Usually a sign of a neighborhood you don't want to live in.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Illegal to put on the street.  Although I have passed a guy in my area cruising down the highway at top speed with street tires. But I’m way out in the country.

Edit: Also have neighbors that drive their SXS to the county dump site at the end of the neighborhood.  Hell, got behind one guy in a new Kubota with his bucket loaded with huge cut up pine logs.  He pulled over for me to pass and while I was at the dump he pulled in, drove up to the dumpster and dropped the logs in and then drove back home.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drunk people on golf carts is a normal thing in charleston. I think they made a law they had to be plated but it doesnt seemed to be enforced. Also seems like there is no age or license requirement.
View Quote

According to state law, you are required to be a licensed driver to drive a golf cart on public roads. The law is routinely ignored by most. Lots of young teens in my area driving around, driving the Karens crazy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top