Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2023 12:02:57 PM EDT
What:  ARFCOM Illinois hometown/American Pioneer Corps-Illinois hike/lunch at Allerton Park, outside of Monticello (Champaign area).  
When:  Sunday, March 19th, 10:00 AM step off time.  It's recommended that you arrive at least 15 minutes early.
          Lunch and general hanging out following the hike, around 12:30 or so.
Where:  Allerton Park, SW of Monticello IL.  Meetup is the McDonald Trails parking right off Allerton Rd. on the SE side of the park.  It's listed as Allerton Park - Lost Garden and Trailhead       Parking on Google Maps.  This is one of the least used parking areas of the park and there is lots of parking.
     GPS: 39deg59.127, -88deg39.007
     MGRS: 16SCK5911327431
Attachment Attached File

This will be a social gathering centered around an approx. 6 mile hike on wooded trails.  We'll be passing back by the parking lot around the 2.5 mile mark.  This will allow for easy gear adjustments or provide the opportunity for individuals to duck out if the longer hike isn't an option.  
Packs are encouraged but by no means required.  If you're interested in meeting APC standards, a 35# (dry weight) pack can count for a provisional 3 mile hike.  Any miles beyond that won't count for ratings unless the pack is 45# dry.  So if you plan to pursue the APC standards, and you're physically up for it, 45# will give you the best value for your hiking miles.  That being said, come out and hike with us, pack or no pack.  
We'll have a group of folks rucking hard to work on conditioning and meet time standards, and another group that will be taking a more leisurely pace with more of an emphasis on the social aspect and just enjoying the trail.  
Trail conditions are "unimproved" for the most part.  Just dirt paths through the woods.  There are some low lying areas that stay muddy most of the time so water resistant boots are a good idea.  There's a bit of elevation change but nothing severe.  The NW side of the park is the developed area and where most of the touristy folks gather.  We'll be sticking to the SE side which is mostly unimproved trails and lightly used.
Following the hike we'll have lunch.  The timeline here is a bit fluid but probably 12:30-1:00 or so.  Weather permitting we'll grill some burgers and dogs in the parking lot.  Plan B is to head into Monticello to a restaurant.  This will be decided a few days out when we have an accurate weather forecast.  If we grill, burgers, dogs, chips, and cold water will be provided.

Suggested gear list:
-Drinking water for the hike
-Water resistant boots
-Pack (whatever weight you're comfortable with)
-Ham radio.  Bring your Baofeng even if you're not licensed.  Listening doesn't require a license and we use radios to keep in touch when we get spread out on the trail.  It's good practice.
-Chair for lunch in the parking lot
-Drinks for lunch if you want something other than water.  Alcohol is likely prohibited in the park but concealed is concealed

Any questions post up here or shoot me an IM.
Posting here if you plan to attend is appreciated and will help with logistics.

Hope to see you there.

https://www.americanpioneercorps.org/
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#1]
@garbageman
@fox2008
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#2]
In.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I will check with the wife when I get back (in chiraq taking mom to dr)

Who can provide overwatch?
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Appreciate the tag.....I'll check our schedule this weekend and see if I can make it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will check with the wife when I get back (in chiraq taking mom to dr)

Who can provide overwatch?
View Quote

What kinda overwatch are we talking about?  Security concerns are minimal around here.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Everyone, just learned about the Pioneer Corps and was talking to RedBirdxx about getting involved. I was able to rearrange some of my schedule next weekend and am planning on attending. Look forward to meeting y'all.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey Everyone, just learned about the Pioneer Corps and was talking to RedBirdxx about getting involved. I was able to rearrange some of my schedule next weekend and am planning on attending. Look forward to meeting y'all.
View Quote

Good to hear you can make this one, see you there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#8]
The weather looks nice for tomorrow.  Sunny and cold, but not too cold.  We had some rain earlier in the week so there's probably going to be some mud on the trail.  Bring your water resistant boots.
It looks like it'll be in the mid-high 30s when we get done hiking.  I know we're all mission driven alpha males that thrive in austere environments but that's chilly enough that I figure sitting down for lunch at a restaurant in Monticello afterwards will be more enjoyable than grilling in the parking lot.  

I'll be trying out a new pack on the hike.  It's a surplus Mystery Ranch Thor III that was designed to carry an electronic IED jammer.  I sewed up a large bag to take the place of the jammer and made a bunch of modifications to the main pack to make it more suitable for general purpose use.  I'm happy with the way it came out and I think it'll be a nice upgrayedd from the ILBE pack that I've been using.  MR quality for milsurp money.

See you guys tomorrow.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I worked on an AT&T location (AT&T One before it was sold) in down town STL off and on for a few years ending about 2014-15.

They had numerous displays supporting APC and seemed company back. I may be wrong about cmpany but it certianly wasn't discouraged.

Is this still true ? Was it company wide or just local in STL ?
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I worked on an AT&T location (AT&T One before it was sold) in down town STL off and on for a few years ending about 2014-15.

They had numerous displays supporting APC and seemed company back. I may be wrong about cmpany but it certianly wasn't discouraged.

View Quote

That must have been a different APC.  The American Pioneer Corps grew out of the Virginia Battle Buddies club following Lobby Day 2020 in Virginia.  We don't have any association with AT&T, or any other group except maybe an unofficial relationship with Cola Warrior due to a lot of crossover of participants.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry boys, can't make this one.

Hopefully I'll see everyone soon!
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:33:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That must have been a different APC.  The American Pioneer Corps grew out of the Virginia Battle Buddies club following Lobby Day 2020 in Virginia.  We don't have any association with AT&T, or any other group except maybe an unofficial relationship with Cola Warrior due to a lot of crossover of participants.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just looked and it was AT&T Pioneers. They pushed United Way big time for employee donations. They even went after me and I work for IBM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top