Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2018 8:28:23 PM EDT
Good evening,

Question on potential purchase. Reading difierences regarding 26 & 30 OAL, is the DDM4V7 pistol legal as a pistol in Michigan. Please let me know what you think or know.

DD lists as 28 3/4”.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Just SBR it
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just SBR it
View Quote
Not interested in paying an extra $200 for my desired purposes. If I can’t legally purchase as-is, I’ll have to pass. Never seen one until today and looked at the specs online. Do you have thoughts on as-is?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 7:13:03 AM EDT
[#3]
It has a pistol brace instead of a stock. That means it is not designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder. Therefore, it’s a pistol.

Also, MI measures in the shortest configuration and the DD website lists 20.75” folded. This meets the definition of a pistol in MI and could be concealed

Lastly, the 26” vs 30” thing is no longer a thing in MI. They changed that a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It has a pistol brace instead of a stock. That means it is not designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder. Therefore, it’s a pistol.

Also, MI measures in the shortest configuration and the DD website lists 20.75” folded. This meets the definition of a pistol in MI and could be concealed

Lastly, the 26” vs 30” thing is no longer a thing in MI. They changed that a couple years ago.
View Quote
Thanks.  DD has two versions.  1 fixed and 1 folder. Can the fixed (28 OAL) be concealed or has to be less then 26?

It’s very confusing and not sure the store knows exactly. Appreciate the guidance.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks.  DD has two versions.  1 fixed and 1 folder. Can the fixed (28 OAL) be concealed or has to be less then 26?

It’s very confusing and not sure the store knows exactly. Appreciate the guidance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

28 OAL cannot be concealed. That's a rifle only.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you.

Last question, so if I did buy the fixed version how would I register it?  They’re selling or at least listing it as a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank you.

Last question, so if I did buy the fixed version how would I register it?  They’re selling or at least listing it as a pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

So I hate doing this, but I’m on my phone and don’t feel like researching it. I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

That said, if the fixed version has a pistol brace, it can’t be a rifle. If it’s over 26” OAL, it can’t be a pistol. Therefore it’s a firearm.

I’m not familiar with this model in particular. Can you post the details? Stock/brace, OAL folded and unfolded, barrel length, etc.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So I hate doing this, but I’m on my phone and don’t feel like researching it. I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

That said, if the fixed version has a pistol brace, it can’t be a rifle. If it’s over 26” OAL, it can’t be a pistol. Therefore it’s a firearm.

I’m not familiar with this model in particular. Can you post the details? Stock/brace, OAL folded and unfolded, barrel length, etc.
View Quote
Fixed pistol brace 28oal, 10.3barrel. This model doesn’t fold. Was just wondering what would’ve happen if I was to drop off sthe sales receipt since it’s claimed to be a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fixed pistol brace 28oal, 10.3barrel. This model doesn’t fold. Was just wondering what would’ve happen if I was to drop off sthe sales receipt since it’s claimed to be a pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can’t claim to know what would happen because strange things have happened with the pistol registry. Having said that, being a fixed 28” OAL and having a pistol brace rather than a stock makes it a firearm. It is not a rifle because it is not intended to be fired from the shoulder with a pistol brace. It is not a pistol because it is over 26” OAL. It is not a shotgun because it has a rifles barrel. Therefore, it’s simply a firearm. It cannot be registered as a pistol in MI, and it cannot be carried concealed via a CPL.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I can’t claim to know what would happen because strange things have happened with the pistol registry. Having said that, being a fixed 28” OAL and having a pistol brace rather than a stock makes it a firearm. It is not a rifle because it is not intended to be fired from the shoulder with a pistol brace. It is not a pistol because it is over 26” OAL. It is not a shotgun because it has a rifles barrel. Therefore, it’s simply a firearm. It cannot be registered as a pistol in MI, and it cannot be carried concealed via a CPL.
View Quote
Thanks for the insight. I take it most people pistols are legitimately less than 26, lol.

I find this model interesting though I’ll have to pass for now. Going to look and try to price the folding model.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I can't claim to know what would happen because strange things have happened with the pistol registry. Having said that, being a fixed 28" OAL and having a pistol brace rather than a stock makes it a firearm. It is not a rifle because it is not intended to be fired from the shoulder with a pistol brace. It is not a pistol because it is over 26" OAL. It is not a shotgun because it has a rifles barrel. Therefore, it's simply a firearm. It cannot be registered as a pistol in MI, and it cannot be carried concealed via a CPL.
View Quote
Nice explanation!
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#12]
So.... I found a good price on the folder option online at a particular website and went through the checkout process. After selecting a FFL the website listed this:

These products cannot be included with your order due to the following:

Michigan prohibits the sale of pistols greater than 26 inches in overall length.

They’re not open until monday so I was kinda shocked. I’m not up to date on ar-pistols. This was going to be my first at-pistol. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So.... I found a good price on the folder option online at a particular website and went through the checkout process. After selecting a FFL the website listed this:

These products cannot be included with your order due to the following:

Michigan prohibits the sale of pistols greater than 26 inches in overall length.

They’re not open until monday so I was kinda shocked. I’m not up to date on ar-pistols. This was going to be my first at-pistol. Thoughts?
View Quote
I’m not sure what they mean by that statement.

Have you called them to inquire?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I’m not sure what they mean by that statement.

Have you called them to inquire?
View Quote
Midway indicated they are using their most stringent interpretation of NFA guidance for liability. They are however the only online company I’ve seen apply this internal regulation. I just have to purchase somewhere else online or locally, no worries.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Sig P556 that, iirc, Sig lists as 28 1/4" OAL.

I bought it from Jays, registered as a pistol.

Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:20:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I suspect a fair amount of the clerks processing the RI60s are not doing any research on the claimed firearms they just process what gets dropped off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top