Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2020 11:40:00 AM EDT
I'm going to start building a fixed mag AR pistol, and order a 7" upper for it.

Is there any rules against putting a longer one like a 14-16" upper if I wanted to take it out hunting?

I probably won't even put a brace on the tube (I realize that it can never have a stock installed) just one of those foam covers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]
NY DEC regs say a pistol does not have a barrel that exceeds 16"...and most 16" AR barrels are actually 16.1 to be safe.

So stick with under 16"

Also, if the barrel is under 8" there is no 6 round capacity limit. You can have a 10 round mag.

I went with a 7.5" 300blk pistol for that reason, so I could hunt in a pistol zone near me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NY DEC regs say a pistol does not have a barrel that exceeds 16"...and most 16" AR barrels are actually 16.1 to be safe.

So stick with under 16"

Also, if the barrel is under 8" there is no 6 round capacity limit. You can have a 10 round mag.

I went with a 7.5" 300blk pistol for that reason, so I could hunt in a pistol zone near me.
View Quote
That makes sense, realistically I probably wouldn't hunt with it, I have guns much better suited to the task.

I am basically just building this thing to spite the state.

It's going to have a stupid fixed mag, and it's going to be listed on my permit, but I'll drive around or carry it concealed in a pack with a loaded mag if I feel like it, and it's a pistol, so I can do that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#3]
have you tried the mean arms 10 round loader?
i use it with my fixed mag NY10 lower.
i think its easier and faster then using the window with the mag in the down position for loading.

mine is a balls clipped rifle so no help on the pistol build.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
have you tried the mean arms 10 round loader?
i use it with my fixed mag NY10 lower.
i think its easier and faster then using the window with the mag in the down position for loading.

mine is a balls clipped rifle so no help one the pistol build.
View Quote
I ordered a BF-10 loader to try out.

I was going to get a mean arms one, but saw that it closes the bolt after loading.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the bear flag option.  The auto bolt close has caused me a few nasty jams with the mean arms.  Having said that, I think it can be defeated, and a shooting buddy has one that no longer automatically sends the bolt home.

As for length, 7.5" I might look to 300 BO.  Ballistics close to .30-.30, it is a more viable option for deer. I have a 10.5" 5.56 That is pretty fun to shoot though.

One thing I have found with the BF10, don't be afraid to slam those rounds in.  If you haven't committed yet, the Lancer mags do load a bit better than pmags.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I got the 8.5" upper and got it all put together, if nothing else it's a neat conversation piece.

I want to make sure everyone I know with that has a pistol permit is aware that these are legal in NY with a fixed mag. The more people that make one and add it to their permit, the better.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, waiting for a riser to show up, but it shoulders surprisingly more comfortable than I expected, just from doing dry fire stuff with it, I prefer the buffer tube with just a foam sleeve over it more than the blade brace.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude...get an Sba3. Or a PDW...much better than the blade brace.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I prefer the bear flag option.  The auto bolt close has caused me a few nasty jams with the mean arms.  Having said that, I think it can be defeated, and a shooting buddy has one that no longer automatically sends the bolt home.

As for length, 7.5" I might look to 300 BO.  Ballistics close to .30-.30, it is a more viable option for deer. I have a 10.5" 5.56 That is pretty fun to shoot though.

One thing I have found with the BF10, don't be afraid to slam those rounds in.  If you haven't committed yet, the Lancer mags do load a bit better than pmags.
View Quote
Any idea how they made the MA loader not release the bolt?  I hate that feature, I have two from when they first came out (they send me one free because the preorder took too long).  I like the BF10 better, but I'd use the other ones too if I could get them to not do that.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Any idea how they made the MA loader not release the bolt?  I hate that feature, I have two from when they first came out (they send me one free because the preorder took too long).  I like the BF10 better, but I'd use the other ones too if I could get them to not do that.
View Quote
He said his just stopped working.  It wasn't purposefully altered.  I don't have one since I mangled a few rounds and locked my pistol up big time.   Probably only have to shave down that little knob on the bolt side of the loader though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top