Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2018 10:20:06 PM EDT
My son is working in LA and came home for to visit and wants to take back his AR pistol. What are your state laws on AR type pistols, length ect?
He doesn't have an LTC so it should be stored concealed in his vehicle?

Thanks
Bishop3
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#1]
How old is he?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I assume over 18, which is the only age that matters re: pistol possession AFAIK. No restrictions on length; he can legally keep it in his vehicle without a CHP (company policy may differ).

This might help.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
17 is the minimum age, above which they don't need anything special. Under age 17, they have to fall within the exceptions, one of them being:

(7)  Possessing a handgun with the written permission of such person's parent or legal guardian; provided that such person carries on his person a copy of such written permission.
View Quote
LRS 14:95.8

It may be in their vehicle and may be concealed there (but not on one’s person while outside the vehicle in general).

LA may change the age of majority to 18 within the next year or so, but it hasn’t happened yet.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#4]
My son is 30 so no issue with his age. He has his AR pistol w/brace with him. I was checking in on the La. gun laws. I think it's time he gets his LTC.

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I was so close!

OP: hope your son stays safe and enjoys his time here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top