Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2018 5:16:12 PM EDT
I want to build a 556 AR pistol, and I have no intentions of selling this firearm when it is completed.

AZ legal resident over 21 years of age:

If I buy a stripped lower, I can build an AR pistol without any additional paperwork.

I do not have to inform the retailer that it is a pistol build.

Am I right or wrong (as long as the current laws do not change)?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I want to build a 556 AR pistol, and I have no intentions of selling this firearm when it is completed.

AZ legal resident over 21 years of age:

If I buy a stripped lower, I can build an AR pistol without any additional paperwork. Yes

I do not have to inform the retailer that it is a pistol build. No you don't need to tell them anything about what you're building.

Am I right or wrong (as long as the current laws do not change)?
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll never get the weight below 50 oz.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks for the info.

PSA has pistol kits, minus the lower, starting at $269.  I thought I would try one out for fun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You'll never get the weight below 50 oz.
View Quote
I was guessing it would be about 5.0 - 5.5 lbs when completed.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The people who do the Transfer to you should mark it as OTHER if you want a pistol. If they mark it as Rifle, then you can get in deep crap unless you SBR it.
When you receive the lower specify to the FFL that you are going to make a pistol out of it, and they will mark Other.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The people who do the Transfer to you should mark it as OTHER if you want a pistol. If they mark it as Rifle, then you can get in deep crap unless you SBR it.
When you receive the lower specify to the FFL that you are going to make a pistol out of it, and they will mark Other.
View Quote
It should be marked other regardless.  Look at Section B, question 16 on a 4473.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:I was guessing it would be about 5.0 - 5.5 lbs when completed.
View Quote
Oops. I thought I was in the NJHTF. Disregard.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It should be marked other regardless.  Look at Section B, question 16 on a 4473.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a lower today.

I stated it was for a pistol build, and the dealer said it doesn't matter because I am going to mark "other" (referring to question 16).  The lower receiver is not a handgun or a long gun, it is a receiver/part.  However, he did state that he has known dealers in the past to mark "rifle".  Until recently, most AR receivers were used to build rifles.

I appreciate both of your responses, I just want to be legal.  The unlimited information on AR pistol builds/legality is difficult to understand.

My kit should be here next Tuesday, Election Day!  Please vote if you haven't already.

Thanks again for your responses.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
You'll enjoy it. I bought the same kit for my son a month or so ago. can't beat the price. going to get him a magpul SL handguard and holoson for christmas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top