Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2018 10:02:43 PM EDT
Can you carry a loaded AR pistol concealed in your vehicle with permit?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can you carry a loaded AR pistol concealed in your vehicle with permit?
View Quote
Not a lawyer but I believe the answer is yes. Pistol is a pistol.   Early in CCL here, I recall a guy downstate getting charged after a traffic stop and LE finding an AR pistol in back floorboard under a blanket IIRC.   Todd V got involved and the charges were dropped.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a lawyer, but my opinion is YES. Here is an article I wrote which is slightly on topic as to why I think yes: https://www.gunrights4illinois.com/blog/the-ar15-pistol-in-chicago/

Essentially the question is, does your specific pistol comply with the state definition of handgun. I think many do.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes tend to agree but like you said there is no case law.  By definition I believe a AR15 pistol with arm brace falls within the definition of single handed use.  It is classified as a pistol by the ATF.  The other issue is what the previous poster expressed.  Law enforcement officers may or may not be aware of pistol definitions.  Your article was well done.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]
You might beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride. I think the law is on our side, but it is inevitable someone gets arrested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top