Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 2/9/2022 2:58:48 PM EDT
Hi everyone- I just moved to the SLC area and was interested in the hiking club.  Anyone here still go?  is there a preferred spot?

If anyone is interested please let me know.  I don't have any dates/locations set up yet, but I'm available weekends.  Lets get this going.

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi I am up in the Ogden area and would be interested as well. I saw your post up in the APC section but hadn't responded up in there. I am kind of old and wore out but I would try my best with what I have, just no one to do it with lol
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]
We're fairly spread out here, which can make get together a little spotty, but I'm sure being from Texas you understand how that goes. Seasonality will also impact turnout as well I'm sure.

I'm in Salt Lake County as well, definitely up for getting some more hikes/range events in. I got a new pack for Christmas and need to break it in.

I'll tag a few folks that have either shown up or have express interest previously:

@SCW
@BlackTuono
@ClangClang

@desertdog762

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure we can get things going.  I'm in the Draper area, so there's got to be a place in between.  I don't know of any BLM or NF land that will allow full kit hiking, so if you have the info please let me know.  I was thinking about getting something up in March?

I have spikes and all the gear (no snowshoes) but we can just do a casual one with hydration or light weight only to get started.  Everything starts small.

SSD
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sure we can get things going.  I'm in the Draper area, so there's got to be a place in between.  I don't know of any BLM or NF land that will allow full kit hiking, so if you have the info please let me know.  I was thinking about getting something up in March?

I have spikes and all the gear (no snowshoes) but we can just do a casual one with hydration or light weight only to get started.  Everything starts small.

SSD
View Quote

I'm basically west of you over by Kennecott, so not far at all.

March time frame works for me, I'm pretty much free any given weekend.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to all that responded to the OG post:

1. I've reached out to a couple more people who may/may not have set up hikes and stuff in the past
2. I've emailed the APC folks
3. I'm looking at some maps for the hike.  Tentative dates: March 5th, alt 6th, 3 mi minimum, but we can talk about how really far we wanna go.  I personally don't want anything over 10mi our first time out. Dates negotiable.
3.5 I'm open to any suggestions of location- we will initially be just with backpacks UNLESS anyone knows of some public/blm/nf land that we can have our full hiking kit. LOC needs to be within a 'decent' range of SLC. Ideally between Ogden and Lehi.
4. I'll be setting up an email so we can communicate there.  I will reach out to everyone who has responded in this thread with the e-mail, and feel free to share it amongst others who may be interested.
5. Anything new or whatever let me know.  I understand some folks may not be in the fitness level they desire, but that's ok.  Everyone starts somewhere.

6. Anything I forgot, PM or email me.

Thanks-
Steve
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

SSD
View Quote
Another Draper resident here. I've done Lone Peak (two different ways), Olympus lots of times, Timp a couple of times and several smaller ones over the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to all who replied and expressed interest- I will start a new thread under the APC heading so I don't have to monitor two lines. Future coordination will be there and through e-mail or other comms. I'll still post here occasionally.

The most recent update:

1. We are going (rucking) hiking On march 5th, alt 6th, weather depending.  If you are not familiar with APC guidelines, check it out here: www.americanpioneercorps.org. This is an intro, so pay attention to your skill and fitness level.
2. This will be Northern UT, in the greater SLC area.  I understand we have some folks in the south, and I absolutely want to set something up in that area-so many cool land features to learn from.
3. Trails or locations, I'm open for ideas.  I'll have a location settled NLT 7 days before the hike.
4. I've reached out to every APC resource I can find, both here and on their website.  No replies yet, but we're still going to move forward. If you know or have one, please get in touch with them.
5. Full details will be posted and discussed under the APC hometown heading.

6. Any questions, anything I forgot, etc, PM me or reply on the new thread.

Thanks and stand by,
Steve
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey everyone,

head over to HOMETOWN APC for the post on the ruck scheduled for March 5th at Bell Canyon trail near SLC

Details or questions please post there

SSD
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top