Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2021 12:52:45 AM EDT
I just talked to the match director and it's been canceled because the state championships is the same weekend at the Central Kansas Gun Club in Hutchinson.  That's almost 4 hours from me so I'm going to skip it for now.  

The original post is in the quote box.
One of the American Pioneer Corps requirements for Pioneer Apprentice on the road to a full Pioneer rating is "shooting at 70% or higher at a full distance CMP or NRA service rifle match."

Mill Creek Rifle Club in De Soto, KS (between KC & Lawrence) is hosting their monthly NRA High Power match Sunday May 23rd from 8 AM - 3 PM.

This is an 88 round match.  The course of fire is below.

There are 4 strings of fire which are the basic building blocks of any NRA high power course of fire or tournament.
There are 2 sighting rounds at the beginning of each course of fire.
• Slow fire, standing - 20 rounds at 200 yards in 20 minutes.
• Rapid fire, sitting or kneeling - 2 strings of 10 rounds at 200 yards in 60 secs.
• Rapid fire, prone - 2 strings of 10 rounds at 300 yards in 70 secs.
• Slow fire, prone - 20 rounds at 600 yards in 20 minutes.
View Quote

I'm not too confident I'll be able to shoot 70% at my first match but you don't get better by not trying.

Here's the range address.
Mill Creek Rifle Club
7215 Gardner Rd
De Soto, KS 66018

If you're not familiar with this kind of shooting it's just you and the rifle with only a sling to stabilize the rifle.  You'll want to bring a padded shooting mat, camp chair and whatever you need to spend all day on the range.  There's no shade.

If you want to give it a try but don't have a shooting sling let me know and I'll bring a spare or help you pick one out.  We can get you set up and teach the basics that morning.

Scopes up to 4.5X are allowed in official competition.  Irons are allowed too.  If you're like me and have a rifle that doesn't quite meet the official rule requirements because of too much scope or the wrong pistol grip that's OK.  We can compete but won't be eligible for awards.  

In order to compete you need to be shooting bullets of 77 grains or heavier at the 600 yard targets.  The range location and target location make stray rounds from bad dope or wind unacceptable.  I'm going to use my handloaded 77 grain SMK's at all distances just because I know my drop with that round.

If you haven't shot that far before you can get a decent idea of your drop by using a ballistic app like Strelok Pro or others.

I'll plan to be on site at 0700 if anyone wants to meet up at the range.  We should be able to shoot as a team in relays.  

You can read all the requirements for the various American Pioneer Corps ratings at the bottom of the
View Quote
APC About page.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top