Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/31/2020 2:16:39 PM EDT
Time: 0700 Meet up. Step off at 0715.

Gear: Bring your packs and 45lbs of crap in them. This doesn't include water. Good footwear and an extra change of socks. Ibuprofen is optional for us old farts.

Objective: In order to satisfy APC requirements for provisional- 2 witnesses (unrelated) are required to witness each individuals completion of the 3 mile portion with a 35lb pack(sans rifle). Or complete a 6 mile hike with a 45lb pack to count towards their 3rd class.

We will step off at 0715.

I will be there rain or shine. Hope to see ya'll there.

Weather: Temperatures will be in the 50's.  
Rally Point in the morning at 0700

Previous Hikes: January 3rd - 3 miles with 45lb pack- solo
                     January 17th - 3 miles with 45lb packs - 3 members - witness requirement not satisfied due to relationship of 2 members
                     January 31st - 6 miles with 45lb packs - 6 members - witness/pace/weight requirement for 1 of 3 hikes towards 3rd class satisfied by 4 members
                     February 21st -3 miles with 45 lb pack - solo
                     February 28 - 3 miles - 1 Member with 45lb pack, 1 member slick - witness requirement not satisfied
                     (didn't keep up with this worth a damned for a few months)
                     April 25 - 6 miles with 45lb packs - 4 members - witness/pace/weight requirement for 3 of 3 hikes towards 3rd class satisfied by 2 members

We are live and doing 6 miles on April 25.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested for hikes in the future but won't be able to make Sunday.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I was the only one there this morning.

Nice and easy.

The trail is pretty straightforward. 1.5miles in and turn around at this rock.

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Same here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

@Jday and @electrojk

I have a hunting trip this coming Sunday, the 10th. Should be good to go on the 17th though. I gotta finalize some plans for a sandhill crane hunt, so that may change I'll be able to let y'all know before the end of the day.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@Jday and @electrojk

I have a hunting trip this coming Sunday, the 10th. Should be good to go on the 17th though. I gotta finalize some plans for a sandhill crane hunt, so that may change I'll be able to let y'all know before the end of the day.
View Quote

Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#6]
January 17th will be the next hike. Same time and place.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Hm. 87 Miles away but I'll tag. Should be doable
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@NickSaban11
View Quote

Beat you to it . Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
January 17th will be the next hike. Same time and place.
View Quote

I'm going hunting.

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm going hunting.

View Quote

That's what I'm doing this weekend. Have a sandhill crane hunt the week following the next hike.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Might be down fer MIL birthday that weekend.  Putting on calendar...
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Might be down fer MIL birthday that weekend.  Putting on calendar...
View Quote

The 17th is a for sure hike. I'll be there, rain or snow.

The 24th I'll be on a hunt.

The 31st is also a for sure hike.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I’d like to get in on the next one.

Going to Kerrville this weekend
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there any shame if I show up w/o 45 lbs in a pack.  We all gotta start somewhere but 3 miles is about my limit (I can walk a 5k, but thats about it).

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:55:51 AM EDT
[#16]
@joshdb50  Mrs. Seth and I will be there.

@TxBob How much can you carry? Let me know and I'll throw the extra in my pack or carry it as a coupon.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is there any shame if I show up w/o 45 lbs in a pack.  We all gotta start somewhere but 3 miles is about my limit (I can walk a 5k, but thats about it).

View Quote

@TXBob

Everyone has to start somewhere, no shame in that at all. The only shame is in not starting at all.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#18]
disregard. I learned how to read
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#19]
We did not make it down, yall enjoy...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#20]
AAR Hike January 17th: Weather report was accurate. Everyone arrived on time, and we did give it a few minutes for any potential stragglers due to a GPS issue with the folks that did attend.

Step off was at approximately 0720 from the Redwood Shelter right off of North University Drive and Cameron Park Drive due north of Herring Avenue.

Attendees numbered 3, with 2 extremely well behaved dogs. Actively decided to not pursue multiple squirrels during two brief off leash periods.

Passed approximately 5 other individuals during duration of the hike. Trail was muddy in two spots, nothing else of note.

Next hike is on the 31st. 0700 meet. 0715 step off.

If you intend to attend, please utilize the link in the OP for the location and if you have any questions or would like to confirm your route, please PM me prior to 10pm the evening prior to the hike. More than happy to sort out any navigational bullshit.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:"to satisfy APC requirements for provisional...to count towards their 3rd class."
View Quote

@joshdb50
For the uninformed, could you explain what 3rd class APC means?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:03:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@joshdb50
For the uninformed, could you explain what 3rd class APC means?
View Quote

@brazos609

So, the 3rd class APC is just a title based on your accomplishments in the task book of the APC. More particular information can be found in the below link.

ARFCOM thread that started this

I got into it, because I like the idea of the annual competition they do and the fact that it's basically an organization that encourages you to not be lazy and to get outdoors and do things...and even gives you a list of tasks to learn. I see the entire thing as a learning opportunity and a chance to meet like minded folks.

I do encourage you to come out and meet the folks that come out for the hikes. Good folks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:17:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Weather updated in OP.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm in for the 31st. Not sure what APC is but look forward to getting some good PT with good folks.

edit: I’m bringing a friend. So, we will have at least three people. We are down to do the six miler.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Final Weather update. Hope to see you folks there! Enjoy your weekend.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#26]
We'll both be there, planning on 45# / 6 miler. Might not bring pups.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#27]
@joshdb50

Do you have the address for the spot? The link goes to street view for me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#28]
@electrojk

2300 Cameron Park Dr, Waco, TX 76708

The redwood shelter.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@electrojk

2300 Cameron Park Dr, Waco, TX 76708

The redwood shelter.
View Quote

Thanks, see ya tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn, trying to get a pack up to 35 pounds isn't as easy as I thought.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:04:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Damn, trying to get a pack up to 35 pounds isn't as easy as I thought.

View Quote

Yeah, I use a combination of loaded mags, weight plates and other assorted nonsense.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Hike complete. 7 participated.

AAR will be posted tonight.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm just not able to make Sunday AM work due to the nature of my business, and family schedule.

Anyone is free to IM me if they want to do something later in the day during the week to get in a workout. I know of several other hikes in the area that are off the beaten path.

I'm also a BJJ blue belt if someone else wants to get in some rolling.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Here is my workout.  It is as great to meet everyone.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Here are the times for Wifey and Myself.

-Wifey

-Me
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Sethelarian already posted my workout summary, but my account is straightened out now so I figured I'd say it was nice to see everyone.  :)
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:16:38 AM EDT
[#38]
AAR Hike January 31: Weather report was accurate. Everyone arrived on time, and we actually stepped off 2 minutes early.

Hike consisted of 6 miles and was completed under 2 hours.

Step off was at approximately 0713 from the Redwood Shelter right off of North University Drive and Cameron Park Drive due north of Herring Avenue.

Attendees numbered 7, including 1 minor. 4 of 7 hauled packs meeting or surpassing 45lbs. All participants satisfied the pace requirements. A brief pause was taken at the 2 mile mark to doff outer layers, followed by a 5 minute break at the 3 mile mark.

Due to the duration of the hike, a number of people were passed, to include a group of mountain bikers that necessitated a 15-20 second pause due to the narrow trail.

Poor planning on my part lead to a bit of a convoluted route being selected on the fly. Will address that this week and sort out a much cleaner route.  

Next hike is on February 7th. 0700 meet. 0715 step off.

If you intend to attend, please utilize the link in the OP for the location and if you have any questions or would like to confirm your route, please PM me prior to 10pm the evening prior to the hike. More than happy to sort out any navigational bullshit.

Members that satisfied all requirements (pace/45lb pack/witnesses) for one of 3 necessary hikes for 3rd class:
joshdb50
Bastogne101
Sethelarian
meggers_f4i

Members that satisfied all requirements for the provisional hike.
joshdb50
Bastogne101
Sethelarian
meggers_f4i
jimed43

Witnesses:
joshdb50
Bastogne101
Sethelarian
meggers_f4i
electrojk
jimed43
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Great hike with great company.

It was nice meeting new members.

Bastogne101, thanks again for the 300 BO ammo.

I look forward to the next one I can make.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Weather update added to OP.

Plan on a 6 mile hike with 45lbs dry weight.

If we need to make a change at step off as to the distance we can do that.

Hope to see everyone tomorrow. Have a great Saturday.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Meggers and myself will be there. 7feb21

ETA : Sorry, was gonna just be me and I can not get to sleep tonight. I'm gonna skip this one and I'll see you next hike.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks like I was the only one who showed; or I went to the wrong meeting place.

We still had a good time. The dog liked being out and it was a nice morning. I've gone hiking twice now at River Trail with the old mountain ruck; and forgot how spoiled the wife and I were with our newer Osprey packs. The GI pack is great for martial nostalgia; but to hell with that. The kinesiology people have really upgraded load bearing science since the 90s.

Anyway I plan on doing more of these hikes; but not necessarily on Sunday mornings. The work schedule is too weird lately. If anyone catches a wild hair and want to do another day or time PM me. I know a several mile loop out at the lake where the army corps of engineers flood plain lets people get off the beaten path. It's the lacy point docks and trailhead: a very nice local getaway out toward Spegleville.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Looks like I was the only one who showed; or I went to the wrong meeting place.

We still had a good time. The dog liked being out and it was a nice morning. I've gone hiking twice now at River Trail with the old mountain ruck; and forgot how spoiled the wife and I were with our newer Osprey packs. The GI pack is great for martial nostalgia; but to hell with that. The kinesiology people have really upgraded load bearing science since the 90s.

Anyway I plan on doing more of these hikes; but not necessarily on Sunday mornings. The work schedule is too weird lately. If anyone catches a wild hair and want to do another day or time PM me. I know a several mile loop out at the lake where the army corps of engineers flood plain lets people get off the beaten path. It's the lacy point docks and trailhead: a very nice local getaway out toward Spegleville.
View Quote

Keep at it; don't get discouraged.  Worst case, you still get a good workout and some scenery.

I'm a fan of the RP80 pack Varusteleka sells (updated version of the Finnish issue ruck), but it also needs a few upgrades around the edges.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#44]
@Troll-Account

Please accept my most sincere apologies. I should have been there, but had an unfortunate and eventful late night at the ER due to one of my children getting a concussion after falling off a piano bench.

I am saying we're on for this Sunday, depending on expected driving conditions. Currently shows a 54% chance of precipitation in the morning of Sunday with below freezing temperatures.

If your driving conditions are questionable, STAY HOME. I can't emphasize that enough.

I will provide a final update as to whether I will be there NLT than 8pm CST. If we end up with precipitation, locally, Saturday evening, I will cancel. If we don't get any, I will be there at 0700 and expect everyone else to use conservative judgment on whether or not to get on the road based on their own local conditions.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm genuinely not phased by kid stuff interfering with plans. I'd be more concerned if you didn't take care of responsibilities as a parent. I'm still gonna try to make this Sunday despite the weather; but the wife likes to have a big sit down family breakfast on that morning.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#46]
@Troll-Account

@Sethelarian

Calling it. I won't be there tomorrow. We have moisture tonight that will probably result in icy roads in the morning.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Good call, the roads were trash and the walking has been slick the last few days.

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Okay, OP has been updated. Hike this Sunday is a go, please see the OP.

Hope everyone has been doing okay during the last few days.

See you folks at the rally point on Sunday.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Stepping off on a solo 3 miler.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#50]
OP updated- Hike is a go for the 28th.

I have a run and gun the day prior so may be dropping my pack for this one and just be there to be a witness for any of you folks shooting for APC stuff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top