Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2021 12:48:45 AM EDT
I'm hosting an APC hike Saturday December 4th at Crawford State Park about 90 minutes south of Overland Park, KS.  
The address is 1 W Lake Rd, Farlington, KS 66734.  
We'll meet at the shelter area in front of the beach a few hundred yards past the park entrance.  Please leave the rifles at home for this one.

Attachment Attached File

There is camping allowed (for a fee) if you're interested and cabins available for rent.  This is a state park so you either need an annual park vehicle pass or will pay $5 per vehicle at the self check in station at the park entrance.

We'll hike the mountain bike trail which circles the lake.  It's a mix of tame and rugged trail sections with a little on pavement for about 7 miles total.

We'll step off at 10 AM, eat on site after the hike (noonish) and do some very basic first aid practice and IFAK show and tell.  Bring your IFAK even if you don't know much about it.  We'll figure it out.

Bring your backpack stove and gear to cook up a hot lunch if you have one.  It'll be a great chance to test out your ability to cook a meal "on the trail" without risking starving to death!

An APC qualifying hike is either a 3 mile hike with a 35 pound pack in an hour or less, or a 6 mile hike with 45 pound pack in two hours or less.  If that’s too much to start with just show up with good boots and a way to carry water and I’ll adjust the hike to suit the group.

The APC’s goal is to train and develop leaders and capable community based organizations willing, ready, and able to provide wildland fire fighting, search and rescue, and other emergency assistance.  

Here’s a description from their website
“The American Pioneer Corps (APC) is a military, veteran, and law enforcement founded and led non-profit organization dedicated to education and public service.  Our leadership team brings decades of combat and emergency management experience to advise, assist, and teach future leaders in your community.”
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]
@Notcalifornialegal

@HighPlains1911

@kc215
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:54:35 AM EDT
[#2]
@austin­1911

@Kevv
@CPTCARL
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#3]
@onthebreeze
@Red-Stater
@Ripley7t
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:03:45 AM EDT
[#4]
@DCLXVI
@woodxdm
@Triskaidekamaniac
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:05:04 AM EDT
[#5]
@Norinco982lover
@jb31
@onthebreeze
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:08:42 AM EDT
[#6]
@libertas0
@Norsk_Snikskytter
@bc5000
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#7]
@bowmanch
@warsparrow
@GordonFreeman1
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:20:03 AM EDT
[#8]
@170Driver
@Ripley7t
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#9]
My gf is hosting a get together that day so I can’t make it
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll be there!

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#12]
That’s my neck of the woods. I am in.

60lb ruck + jet boil, food, and water. Are trekking poles over the top?

Anything else?

Can I bring compadres?
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anything else?

Can I bring compadres?
View Quote

That's a legit loadout!

You can absolutely bring friends.

Poles are up to you.  I'm not using any but some folks like them.

I don't have any pics I can find but this trail has some sections that are extremely rugged rock gardens with steep pitches.  It used to be used for a mountain bike race and (usually) only the expert racers could do a lap without having to dismount because of the mix of technical features, momentum sapping rocks and rapid changes in pitch.

There's one hill that maybe gains 75 feet of elevation.  The rest are a bunch of tiny up and downs that are maybe 10 feet tall but steep over and over.  There are also long sections that are smooth dirt and even pavement.  If someone is struggling it's easy to hop on the paved road that parallels the trail and get the mileage without the rough stuff.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anything else?

Can I bring compadres?
View Quote

Compadres are welcome.  Beyond that it should be a great warm up for Montana.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
@Thoughtcrime

This is the right thread.  Tagging you in case you're interested.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Just did a 3 miler with a friend and some family.  I was the only one carrying a full weight pack but two of the guys on this hike did OK and will be carrying at least 35 pounds.

Attachment Attached File

3 miles in 53 minutes with a mix of flat gravel trails and more rugged overgrown singletrack.  The time includes a few minutes stopped and talking with some other relatives that were doing a shorter hike while we were out there when we caught them.

Pace on the smooth gravel paths was 4.4mph.

My wife and one other lady will be there Saturday without packs but doing the full distance.

I’ll have at least two other locals.  We’ll get some more involved as word spreads.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I’m out, will be hunting.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 1:36:22 AM EDT
[#18]
The weather is looking mighty nice for a trail hike this weekend!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Got a 4 pack of training tourniquets in to get some practice with.  We’ll do a little practice with Israeli bandages as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m out of state fellas, wish I could make this one!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top