Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2020 6:54:40 AM EDT
Illinois Battle Buddies are having another short notice hike this week.  We'll be stepping off at 4:00 PM from somewhere in the Clinton Lake area.  Exact location to be posted later on.  I need to look around and make sure the area is all opened back up.  
We're planning on a six mile hike but it would be easy to accommodate a 3-mile loop if anyone would prefer that.
Post up here or send me an IM if you're interested or have any questions.

@ReaperWaterfowl
@w9trb
@handyandy

I gave you guys an @ because I think you're central IL guys and you've expressed interest in the past.  Hope to see you there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Would be very interested in this, if I can get off thursday,  IT never stops.  
Are dogs allowed out there?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool.  It would be great to have you join us.  I’ve been doing some research this morning and a plan is beginning to form.  According to the .gov website all the trails are open as of 1 May so we should be good.  Dogs are allowed on the trails but the usual leash requirements apply.  
I’ll finalize the plans this evening and post them up.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I went out to Clinton Lake today and verified that it is indeed open to the public again.  I have a route planned out so everything is tracking.  Here's the plan.

Where: Clinton Lake State Recreational Area, 7251 Ranger Rd., DeWitt IL.  This is the address of the park station and will get you close.  The parking lot where we'll meet is at the far southwest end of the road, down past the camping areas, off of Boat Ramp Rd.  The GPS coordinates of the parking lot are 40º 09' 19" N, 88º 48' 23" W
See attached pictures

When:  This Thursday, May 7th.  We're shooting for a step off of 4:00 PM sharp.  I'll be to the parking lot about 3:30.  I'd recommend arriving NLT 3:45 but as long as you can have your pack on and be ready to ruck at 4:00 it'll be good.

Packs are encouraged but not required.  If the pack weighs at least #35 dry (not counting drinking water) it will count for "official" hiking standards.  #45 is even better since it will count toward future hikes.  The trail is listed as "moderate" difficulty but that usually just means that it isn't as flat as a pancake.
Bring ham radios if you have them.  Even if you're not licensed you can still monitor.  Sometimes we get spread out a bit on the trails and we use the radios to stay in contact.  It's good practice.

I hope to see some new folks there.  Post up here or send me an IM if you have any questions.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice to see the central group growing, nice job putting this together, Baron.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#5]
@TheRadBaron

I'm a northern IL guy. For the next 9 months I'm slammed. I do asphalt,  I pretty much work 12 hours/ day, 6 days/ week starting now until November sometime. I keep a tab on all these threads though, if one pops up that I can get to, I'll be there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ReaperWaterfowl:
@TheRadBaron

I'm a northern IL guy. For the next 9 months I'm slammed. I do asphalt,  I pretty much work 12 hours/ day, 6 days/ week starting now until November sometime. I keep a tab on all these threads though, if one pops up that I can get to, I'll be there.
View Quote

@ReaperWaterfoul....
Don't forget your Northern Ill Bros....we got lots going on as well!   But Hiking with Eli is fun as well.  You guys have fun tomorrow....if we weren't hiking up here, I'd be tempted to head down and hike with you.  I know there is hunting at Clinton lake and have thought of hiking there...so if you go again on a weekend, maybe I'll join you.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Good hike today.  We had nine hikers out, six wearing packs, plus one puppy.  One guy made Provisional and another made Third Class.  Good job, everyone.  The trail was great and it was more difficult terrain than what we've been hiking.  It took more work to maintain the standard but we (just) made it.  None of us had hiked this trail before and we had really crummy maps.  I didn't help matters by occasionally doing some lieutenant stuff like suddenly and completely losing all concept of where we were.  But some basic land nav stuff like orienting the map and using terrain association got us through.  I really need to brush up on this stuff.  I used to be good at it but it's been a long time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Great job all.
Rad....pls send me a comm with all teh info of those that hike for miles with weight.  Congrats to those that made Provisional and 3rd class.  bssfr4 made provisional with Redbird and myself today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top