Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2023 10:06:55 PM EDT
This will be an introduction to navigating with a compass, protractor and map.  This is a significant portion of the Warfighter Challenge, and the goal is to get individuals comfortable with navigating using only a compass and protractor.

There will be a refresher and basic introduction beforehand.

Location and Time
Saturday May 6th Starting at 14:00.

Google Maps coordinates 39.3669785, -105.2461592

Required Equipment
-Lensatic or orienting style compass
-1:25 Map Protractor
-Map Pens
-Map Will be provided

Highly recommend studying beforehand, and below are the resources I used prior to the WFC.

https://www.maptools.com/tutorials/mgrs/quick_guide

https://randallsadventure.com/sites/default/files/rat-sar-land-nav.pdf

Now if you show up totally green and don’t know how to read coordinates or find points on a map can you still succeed?

Maybe, but it’ll be easier if you have a basic understanding of the concepts.

If you would like to attend IT IS CRITICAL YOU RSVP beforehand so we can have a map for you and set points.

Email ([email protected]), IM me or respond to this thread if you are interested.

Afterwards we will be having a Night shoot in a different location.  Details will be provided at the event.

Looking forward to seeing you all.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t give a fuck about WFC

Other than time in the woods, which is always fun, what is the point of map/compass when GPS is a given?

Not trying to be contrViosaal, just asking
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don’t give a fuck about WFC

Other than time in the woods, which is always fun, what is the point of map/compass when GPS is a given?
View Quote

What if you don't have access to gps?

Or put duracells in your gps device?

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Also if you are planning on shooting, DO NOT BRING STEEL OR GREEN TIP AMMO.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top