Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2021 2:00:21 PM EDT
Barnbwt and I have planned a hike in the Sam Houston National Forest stepping off at 1000 on Sunday 1/31/21. This will be ~6 mile hike with the potential of growing into a lunch afterwards perhaps in one of the restaurants in Coldspring. Now we know this location is out of the comfort zone of some Houstonians whose navigation systems seem to display "thar be DRAGONS!" for all locations north of the Woodlands. As Barnbwt implored prior to last week's hike, Houston is spread the F out. Steady turnout will allow us the capability to break into more localized groups in the future but for right now, the opportunity to network with "Doers" in Houston will require some people to put some miles on the grocery getter. With steady turnout other opportunities begin to be practical... Ham radio courses, medical courses, overnight campouts etc. As we understand where folks are coming from we will rotate locations so that the same folks don't have to drive long distances all the time.

Location: TH 11 on the Lone Star Trail. We will hike from TH 11 to TH 12. This is a section hike of ~6.1 miles through the wilds of the Sam Houston National Forest. We ask that folks show up at TH 11 15 minutes early (0945) so that we can arrange parking. We will need to stage vehicles at TH 12 and getting an accurate headcount ahead of time will minimize shuttling trips at the end of the hike.

Directions: TH 11 is on FM 2025 just south of Coldspring. Coming from Houston proper on I69/ US59 directions are thus:
1) Take exit to FM 2025 at Cleveland and cross overpass heading toward the Loves truck stop.
2) Continue North for ~14.1 miles. If you pass the entrance for Double Lake Recreation Area you have overshot the trailhead.

Attachment Attached File

Preparation/ Gear

There are at least a few of us that will want to complete this hike at a rate of 3 MPH with full weight (45 lbs dry). This is in no way mandatory. we will bring radios so teams moving at different rates can stay in touch.

1) We anticipate there will be at least 2 distinct teams and I'll bring some FRS radios so the teams can stay in contact. If you have FRS radios please bring them.
2) Weather looks absolutely beautiful but there has been a fair amount of rain and insect repellent is advised.
3) Temperatures are expected to be in the 50's and 60's. A couple liters of water is adequate.
4) Consider downloading some kind of land navigation app to your phone. Barnbwt uses Gaia and I use Osmand. Once we meet I can send you our route in a .gpx file you should be able to open in your app.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I've hiked and camped on this trail before. It's really nice. Due to the distance and having 3 kids, I can't make it. Thanks for the invite!

FYI to anyone who ventures into Coldspring. Me and a friend were illegally arrested there 20+ years ago. The judge told us both we'd have to
give her a bribe or else. Coldspring was known as having the most crooked police dept in Texas back then. I'm not sure about now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a good place, now; didn't see any Boss Hog-ery last time I hiked there.

@Flushdraw, where abouts are you located?  We want to choose hike locations that give as many folks the opportunity to participate as we can.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've hiked and camped on this trail before. It's really nice. Due to the distance and having 3 kids, I can't make it. Thanks for the invite!

View Quote

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can break free next time. Barnbwt and I have talked about completing the LST in section hikes in the future and I'd hate to think there are folks that want to be a part of that but can't get the free time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Am I forgetting anyone?

@Blitzkraig173
@peecmkr45
@JTX23
@MMcfpd
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I might just have to make this.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Planning on seeing y'all in the morning.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#7]
It was a beautiful day for a hike and thanks to everyone who made the trip. Decent turnout considering the location. There is actual natural scenery worth seeing in East Texas. 6.02 miles @ avg speed of 3.2 mph. Two participants carried 50+ lbs of weight. For those of you who couldn't make it, we hope to see you soon. Keep checking the hometown forum for our next hike. If you want to be @ notified drop me a PM.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top