Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2021 12:31:00 PM EDT
Alright folks. The next leg in the completion of the Lone Star Hiking Trail by sections awaits. This hike will begin at Trail Head 6 and end at the crossroads of the trail with FM 1374 (also known as "Possum Walk Road"). The section is to be ~7.2 miles. Some of us will be carrying 45 lbs dry weight and some of us will attempt a pace of 3 MPH. As always, this is not mandatory and we have split the group in the past to accommodate all paces.

Time/place: Arrive 1230 2/28/21 at Trailhead 6 for a step off of about 1300.
Trail Head 6
Weather: Forecast is showing 50% rain coverage with scattered thunderstorms. Sometimes we get beautiful days to hike, sometimes we get good "training opportunities". Provided we can get some folks to commit, I'm certainly willing to push ahead with this hike.
Bring: Raingear, extra socks wrapped to stay dry, 1.5 liters of water, FRS radios if you have them

Previous hikes with AARs and pics:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/APC-Hike-Houston-Outdoors-Crew-Saturday-2-20-21-NO-EXCUSES/8-652166/  
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/APC-Hike-Houston-Outdoors-Crew-Section-1-of-the-Lone-Star-Trail-2-7/8-651869/
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/APC-Hike-Houston-Outdoors-Crew-Sunday-1-31/8-651692/?page=1&anc=7179561#i7179561

Please post your commitments to attend. We have one stalwart member who will be out of town and a couple out due to injury and medical stuff. We need three total minimum to proceed.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]
@barnbwt
@thomasplaster223
@MMc­fpd­
@JTX23
@peecmkr45
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]
@Blitzcraig173
@Bishop3
@Austin4130
­­@Flushdraw
@Jerryjeff
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]
@HBIII
@rbutcher
@Agilt
@jordanmills­­
@dirtymachinist
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
@Forgemonkey1066
@rudinater
@GhostFish

As always, let us know if you want off the list. Please @ anyone you know to be interested that I may have missed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two confirmed attendees besides myself. This hike is on.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it just rucks?  Or carrier and weapon?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Rucks and street clothes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Good hike and for some reason, either the mud, terrain, warmth (can't call it heat yet) or the ~5 additional pounds of actual gear (not ballast) I carried for contingencies this hike was one of the more strenuous we've had, at least for me. The afternoon step-off was different... On the one hand I could feel more time pressure knowing we were getting started late and that Sunday evenings are often hectic for people. On the other hand, that time pressure imposed some discipline in our brief and debrief and probably made these exercises as efficient as they have ever been. We didn't leave much time for fellowship which we probably need to rectify soon with a lunch.

The plan was a section hike but the Stubblefield bridge was out forcing an out-and- back instead. Distance was close to the planned length at 7.6 miles. We stopped at ~6.3 miles or so for a break and to change socks. We then finished the hike maintaining a strong pace the entire rest of the way.

Attachment Attached File

Topo Chico and Gatorade back on the table.

The Good: Safe, Weather, the rain held off. (this might be a negative depending on your particular proclivities), Really nice views of Lake Conroe. One of our injured members is back on the trail with us. All members completed the first 6 miles of the hike in the allotted time. 2 members did so with full weight.

The Bad: The bridge being out forced a change in plans, kind of frustrating but such is life. The drive to drop off the vehicle at the ending trailhead was 19 minutes each way pushing our step off time again, even with the additional time we built into the schedule. This was doubly frustrating as we were not able to make it to the staged vehicle anyway due to the bridge. Trail was pretty muddy necessitating additional effort to choose the line with the best footing and to detour around or over the sloppiest parts. One man ran out of water about a mile shy of the finish. The heat is on the way.

The Ugly: There were some dog owners on the trail. One particular group had some fairly large dogs, leashed and under control, but still looking dubious as our party approached, nonetheless. I made the stupid mistake of raising my hands in a surrender posture jokingly (dogs don't interpret this signal the same way as humans, of course). One of the dogs jumped up and gave me a little love nibble on my hand. Rookie mistake on my part and probably would not have happened had I maintained my posture and gait.  

OVERLOAD!!!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

GOTJ: Overloaded the fish scale
bollox: 53 lbs
Bravo 5: 31.5 lbs
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top