Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2018 1:01:54 PM EDT
I see these for sale in shops so I'm assuming they are legal but what's the IL law? Does it have to be 26" with the stock folded? Id assume that will probably require a pinned muzzle brake to make that length in a underfolding AK.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The law reads, in part, as follows:

Sec. 24-1. Unlawful use of weapons.

(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:

(7) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries:

(ii) any rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or any weapon made from a rifle or shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches;
View Quote
As you can see it doesn't state when folded or unfolded, extended or otherwise.  But you can go to most any gun store right now and buy firearms with side folding stocks which is no different than an underfolding stock.

However what I do know for sure is that the ATF measures over all length with the stock extended.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks that's exactly the info I'm after.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought the 26" length was related to SBRs and not regular rifles with an underfolding stock. Note the language of weapon made from a rifle and barrel less than 16"

Agreed that ATF measures with stock extended.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought the 26" length was related to SBRs and not regular rifles with an underfolding stock. Note the language of weapon made from a rifle and barrel less than 16"

Agreed that ATF measures with stock extended.
View Quote
You could be right about that. And after I reread it, it appears you are. The AOL only seems to apply if the BBL length is less than 16".
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember when Todd was NRA IL liason an effort to get that 26" OAL wording changed as part of SBR discussions but it didnt get done.  That was a better time when we had a chance of getting pro 2A bills passed but  now, I expect we'll have more important things to be fighting the next 2 years of the ILGA.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#6]
We're going to be on hard core defense for the first year like tyson vs peewee herman. Things will slow down because the gun grabbers will get everything they want and we will be begging for mercy. Then we will be attacked again if/when there is any sort of mass murder event, and we will be attacked again at elections so anti gun candidates can show they are tough on so called "gun violence".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top