Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2020 5:06:46 PM EDT
Mayor of Albuquerque, NM is holding a closed-doors session in two hours to decide whether or not to ban ALL firearm transfers "for the duration of the COVID-19 outbreak", which is a little openly-worded.

Link
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]
WTF....
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Never let a crisis go to waste.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Time for some civil disobedience.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone seen or heard anything further about this?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:00:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve haven’t heard anything else, they’re probably pushing this through on the down low and it won’t get much press.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have taken a look at the city ordinance as it was previously worded, and reviewed the updated city ordinance.  My thoughts are as follows:

1.  The power of a Mayor to order a stop to sales/transfers of firearms during a "Civil Emergency" has existed on the books for a long time.  This is not a comment on the constitutionality of the ordinance as it has existed for decades.  
2.  The new language giving a Mayor additional powers in a "Health Emergency" does not give a Mayor the power to stop sales/transfers of firearms in a "Health Emergency".
3.  Whether a Mayor could find a "Civil Emergency" as a result of a "Health Emergency" is potentially a problem.  If you got the email from Calibers, or have access to the new ordinance, take a look at the language and draw your own conclusions.  But there is not a specific power that would allow a Mayor to declare a "Civil Emergency" as a result of a "Health Emergency".  But I can see a scenario where there could be both a "Civil Emergency" and a "Health Emergency" declared simultaneously.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Smart move by POTUS to make his base happy but it's just words without consequence and of little value in the fight.
The courts will have to slap her down.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, wake up people, you get the government you vote for. Unfortunately, too many citizens don't consider what they're voting for, they just vote straight Dem or to boot out any judge a Republican appoints, no matter how good and qualified they are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top