Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2018 3:32:05 PM EDT
Guys,

Since the God awful “SAFE” act passed here in NY, a VT friend of mine has been holding my 30 round mags.

This new VT legislation has us concerned about the status of those mags.

Can anyone clarify any of that for us?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Veracity:
Guys,

Since the God awful “SAFE” act passed here in NY, a VT friend of mine has been holding my 30 round mags.

This new VT legislation has us concerned about the status of those mags.

Can anyone clarify any of that for us?

Thanks.
View Quote

Since your friend is legally in possession of your magazines right now they'll be grandfathered in for as long as he's got them (unless they pass more gun control that says otherwise).  I guess where you go from there will depend on your end goal for the mags.  If you planned on moving to a free state in the future then I'd just have him transfer them back to you then (quietly, as I'm not yet sure even an out of state transfer is legal).

Here are some excerpts from the mag ban section.  
(a) A person shall not manufacture, possess, transfer, offer for sale, purchase, or receive or import into this State a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

(c)(1) The prohibition on possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices established by subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to a large capacity ammunition feeding device lawfully possessed on or before the effective date of this section.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#2]
IANAL, butt...

If I was your friend, I'd just put the mags in a box, close it up, and pretend it doesn't exist. I rather doubt the hillbilly gestapo is gonna go door to door documenting what folks have. They have bigger problems to solve. If you're moving to a free state, stop by, take your buddy to dinner, and quietly scoop up the mags with nobody the wiser. Nobody's gonna get butthurt over transferring something they don't suspect exists. As far as I know, there's no requirement to document mags with receipts or such.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 3:11:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Well the mags are grandfathered as I understand it. Does law say you must be a resident of vermont? Guessing not so it sounds like you have legal  pre ban mags in Vermont.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top