Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/14/2020 2:23:07 PM EST
BUY BUY BUY
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:46:16 PM EST
How long will it last this time?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:10:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/14/2020 8:12:50 PM EST by Trollslayer]
CRPA says, "Today’s opinion, however, should not be read as immediately ending the ban on acquiring magazines over 10 rounds.

"Today’s opinion, however, should not be read as immediately ending the ban on acquiring magazines over 10 rounds.  While possession of these magazines remains legal under the injunction issued by the district court in 2017, it is unclear whether today’s decision lifts the district court’s 2019 order staying the injunction that would have halted the enforcement of the manufacture and acquisition ban.  According to the terms of that order, it remains in effect “pending final resolution” of the Duncan appeal.  And because the state of California may petition for an 11-judge en banc panel to rehear the case or file a petition directly to the Supreme Court of the United States, it may be months before this appeal is finally resolved.  Put simply, take caution! It is unclear whether California residents may begin to purchase magazines over 10 rounds yet."

"A more detailed analysis of today’s opinion and what’s next will be published shortly. "
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:44:08 PM EST
I just got an email from Brownells saying that they are now shipping "what they have in stock" to California!

Bad timing but good for Cali!!!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:50:43 PM EST
A lot of companies are shipping or at least taking my money.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:52:02 PM EST
Has anyone found an electronic copy of the ruling?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:55:37 PM EST
If we can null the CA assault weapon ban, we could revive the economy just in firearms sales.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:15:01 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
Has anyone found an electronic copy of the ruling?
View Quote

Yeah.  There was a link in the main thread.  first page I think.  Here's one.

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/CalifGunMag-9CA.pdf
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:49:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/15/2020 5:53:08 PM EST by Trollslayer]
Every now and then, the judges get it right.

"California’s near-categorical ban of LCMs strikes at the core of the Second Amendment — the right to armed self-defense. Armed self-defense is a fundamental right rooted in tradition and the text of the Second Amendment. Indeed, from pre-colonial times to today’s post-modern era, the right to defend hearth and home has remained paramount."

"California’s almost-blanket ban on LCMs goes too far in substantially burdening the people’s right to self-defense. We affirm the district court’s summary judgment, and hold that California Penal Code section 32310’s ban on LCMs runs afoul of the Second Amendment."

HISTORY, LEARN IT OR RELIVE IT

"In April 1775 and closer to home, a rag-tag group of private citizens, armed only with their personal firearms and makeshift weapons, fired the “shot heard round the world” in Concord, Massachusetts. Reminders of British efforts to confiscate personal firearms filled the Founders’ minds when drafting the Bill of Rights in 1789. During the ratification of the Constitution, Antifederalists raised alarm over a potentially despotic national government that could disarm the people, as occurred under the Stuart Kings and other British regimes. See McDonald, 561 U.S. at 768. In response, the Federalists agreed to include a Bill of Rights, which, of course, featured the right to bear arms. See McDonald, 561 U.S. at 769."

"In sum, self-defense “is a basic right, recognized by many legal systems from ancient times to the present day, and . . . individual self-defense is ‘the central component’ of the Second Amendment right.” McDonald, 561 U.S. at 767 (citing Heller, 544 U.S. at 599) (emphasis and internal citation omitted)."

I love the cases they cite to drive home this point,  the Second Amendment applies to all - women, blacks, LGBTQ, asians,...everybody!

"We understand the purpose in passing this law. But even the laudable goal of reducing gun violence must comply with the Constitution. California’s near-categorical ban of LCMs infringes on the fundamental right to self-defense. It criminalizes the possession of half of all magazines in America today. It makes unlawful magazines that are commonly used in handguns by law-abiding citizens for self-defense. And it substantially burdens the core right of self-defense guaranteed to the people under the Second Amendment. It cannot stand."
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 2:58:28 PM EST
Get in your orders!!!! All it takes is for Benitez to remove his stay for the shortest of windows, at that point every business can process and you got mags in bound.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 3:17:41 PM EST
Can somebody explain to me: what is the 9th circuit? Is it part of the US supreme court? Does this ruling have any affect or implications on bans in other states?
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 3:52:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By bm3:
View Quote

I can’t even find any in stock.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 4:06:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/15/2020 4:10:50 PM EST by JasonD]
Originally Posted By Ajcrash:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ajcrash:
Originally Posted By bm3:

I bought some of these last week.

Appears to have stock.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Gen-2-PMAGs-w-o-Windows-10-for-100-00-Now-ship-to-CA/24-1972825/

ETA: Not my ad, no personal connection, just hoping you fine gentlemen in the people's republic of kaliforistan can stock up while the stocking is good.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 5:19:30 PM EST
^^^^
Perfect!! Thanks JasonD.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 5:22:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By AASG:
Can somebody explain to me: what is the 9th circuit? Is it part of the US supreme court? Does this ruling have any affect or implications on bans in other states?
View Quote

We have State and Federal Court Systems.  The Federal system is broken down in to Districts.  Some states, like California are big enough to have several Districts.  Above the District Courts  are the Circuit Courts of Appeal.  Those Circuits cover a bunch of states.  CA is in the 9th Circuit.  The next level up is the Supreme Court.

Depending on the law being ruled upon the decision can apply in all the states of the Circuit.  In this case, it only applies in California because it was a state law applicable only to California that was being ruled on.  If a Circuit is ruling on the constitutionality of a Federal law, it will apply to all the states in the Circuit.  Other Circuits can and do rule differently of Federal laws.  Conflicting rulings have a good chance of getting reviewed by the Supreme Court.

State Courts can't rule on Federal laws.  Federal Courts can rule on both Federal and State laws, usually the state courts have to be gone through first.  Not always.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 5:52:05 PM EST
Also, within the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals there are - Circuit Judges who make ruling and issue injunctions; Courts of Appeal with 3 judges hearing the case (like this one) and there is the En Banc Court of Appeals with 11 judges hearing the case.  Above the en banc Court of Appeals, there is only the Supreme Court of the United States where cases are heard by 9 justices.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 12:41:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By JasonD:

I bought some of these last week.

Appears to have stock.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Gen-2-PMAGs-w-o-Windows-10-for-100-00-Now-ship-to-CA/24-1972825/

ETA: Not my ad, no personal connection, just hoping you fine gentlemen in the people's republic of kaliforistan can stock up while the stocking is good.
View Quote

As of today(8/20), their website states they are shipping to LE only in California. Other orders for mags to CA over 10 rnds will be cancelled.

From the website:
At this time we will only be processing magazine orders over 10rds to California for Active Law Enforcement. If you are Active Law Enforcement, please note this in the order comments. Once we process your order we will reach out to you for your credentials.All other magazine orders over 10rds to California will be cancelled at this time.Due to high demand and increase of orders, it is possible your order will be delayed in processing. We are working to have all non firearm orders shipped within 3 business day.

Link Posted: 8/20/2020 9:40:22 PM EST
A lot of companies are probably thinking “shit, maybe I should’ve worked that weekend.” moments.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 12:42:53 PM EST
If we can null the CA assault weapon ban, we could revive the economy just in firearms sales.  
View Quote

Trollslayer,

I second on that subject!!!

Impala
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:54:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By Impala:

Trollslayer,

Impala
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Impala:

Trollslayer,

Impala

IMO we are likely to get a quick win on this, but expect a stay before you could even pick it up. You better have a featureless in your hands ready to convert then hoping to buy, and wait for a 10+ day dros before they get a stay. And you know, the DROS will just magically take longer if we get a win.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:05:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By ColdboreDreamer:

As of today(8/20), their website states they are shipping to LE only in California. Other orders for mags to CA over 10 rnds will be cancelled.

From the website:
At this time we will only be processing magazine orders over 10rds to California for Active Law Enforcement. If you are Active Law Enforcement, please note this in the order comments. Once we process your order we will reach out to you for your credentials.All other magazine orders over 10rds to California will be cancelled at this time.Due to high demand and increase of orders, it is possible your order will be delayed in processing. We are working to have all non firearm orders shipped within 3 business day.

View Quote

Early bird gets the worm.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 1:14:23 AM EST
Gives them more time to build up their stock of worms.  Hopefully the supply will be able to meet the demand without prices skyrocketing all across the country.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 1:49:25 PM EST
I am traveling to California next week.  Can I legally take some 15 round magazine with me to California?
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 2:18:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 10:14:47 PM EST
Bummer
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 6:24:33 PM EST
My understanding is that this latest ruling has no effect on AW laws regarding fixed mag semis.  E.g., you still can't put a 30 rounder into your mag-locked AR.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 8:26:43 PM EST
I believe the state only has until tomorrow to appeal. As far as I know, they haven't.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 8:29:31 PM EST
Originally Posted By M4-guy:
My understanding is that this latest ruling has no effect on AW laws regarding fixed mag semis.  E.g., you still can't put a 30 rounder into your mag-locked AR.  Thoughts?
View Quote

That is correct.

However, the logic of the initial decision (which I believe remains fully intact) suggests that law is unconstitutional. If this holds then the argument against the AWB is stronger in the 9th.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 9:30:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By DonS:
I believe the state only has until tomorrow to appeal. As far as I know, they haven't.
View Quote

Can anyone confirm or refute this?
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 9:38:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2020 9:57:57 PM EST by 50_Shooter]
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 2:17:13 AM EST
Another Circuit court judge could also ask for en banc but that seems a huge political risk.   It really needs to come from the elected officials or Trump and others get a gift of "judges making law" with the election coming up. Plus the appearance would stink.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 5:47:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By M4-guy:
View Quote

AWB is not being challenged in this case.  Another one is challenging this aspect of the AWB statute (features ban, including fixed high-cap mag), although it does not appear to challenge the make/model bans.  I also don't believe it has been amended to include the expansion of the AWB Newsom signed into law on the 6th of this month (takes effect on the 1st).
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 10:37:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By bigstick61:
... the expansion of the AWB Newsom signed into law on the 6th of this month (takes effect on the 1st).
View Quote

What is this one?
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 11:20:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/28/2020 11:22:32 AM EST by 50_Shooter]
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 2:16:44 PM EST
It's a bit after noon.  I'm a little surprised we haven't heard anything yet.  My guess is the politicians are frantic.  They likely know that mobs attacking Senators in the streets of Washington, the mess in Portland and Seattle, Kenosha criminals chasing and attacking people in the streets, mobs attacking diners at outdoors restaurants..   They've lost control of the narrative.  The press is mumbling things about mostly peaceful demonstrations with cities burning and looters stealing everything they get their hands on.  Mayors using the police to keep "mostly peaceful" demonstrators away from their own homes, etc.  Kamala Harris is poster person for California liberal Bay Area politics and whatever Ca does here is going to get played everywhere.

Yet they also know that this ruling  will kick the foundation out of a lot of firearms laws.  And not just in California.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 11:52:12 PM EST

What is this one?
View All Quotes
... the expansion of the AWB Newsom signed into law on the 6th of this month (takes effect on the 1st).

What is this one?

It adds the category of "long gun, other" to the assault weapon ban.  The features are those of both rifles and pistols.  Something like a semi-auto 1919 or M-2 is now an assault weapon as defined.

DOJ brought to the legislature's attention the fact that one could make a 16" gun with a brace and other than the stock, could have all of the AW features the owner desired plus hi-cap detachable mags.  This occurred after folks tried to get DOJ to allow the computer system to DROS such guns, as they got rid of this ability with computerization and the mandatory long gun registration process in 2014.  There is a lawsuit pending over this refusal to DROS by Franklin Armory.

These guns were exempt because the AWB originally only applied to pistols, rifles, and shotguns.  The "other" category did not meet the legal definitions for any of those three classes of firearms.  Some in this category under Federal definition were pistols, and others Title 1 "others".  Some might even be technically considered Title 2 AOWs (which are legal in CA and exempt from running afoul of SBR and SBS laws, assuming you have the stamp).
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:24:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By Featureless:
It's a bit after noon.  I'm a little surprised we haven't heard anything yet.  My guess is the politicians are frantic.  
View Quote

I'd say more than just CA politicians but other blue states as well.  CA appeal for full court review prior to RGB's death, but if Barrett is confirmed, the other blue states probably don't want it going to the Supreme Court.  They're probably thinking that CA should drop their appeal and keep it local to CA, and not spread to MA, NY, and other such states.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:14:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2020 10:15:28 PM EST by FireControlman]

Something like a semi-auto 1919 or M-2 is now an assault weapon as defined.
View All Quotes

What is this one?

Something like a semi-auto 1919 or M-2 is now an assault weapon as defined.

Is it still defined as an AW if the 1919a4 or M2HB has a buttstock? And the M2HB is rechambered to .510 or other non-50bmg caliber with a buttstock - will that make it a "featureless" rifle?
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:48:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:24:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By 50_Shooter:
The M2 is not considered an AW in CA and you can buy one any day of the week if you have the cash.

You can no longer buy 50 BMG chambered rifles in CA, they have to be chambered in 50 DTC.
View Quote
I believe the recent bill the governor signed changed this.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1623837

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:32:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2020 11:33:48 PM EST by bigstick61]
The M2 is not considered an AW in CA and you can buy one any day of the week if you have the cash.

You can no longer buy 50 BMG chambered rifles in CA, they have to be chambered in 50 DTC.
View Quote

The AWB was expanded two months ago to include the "long gun, other" category, since people were building these basically as featured rifles but with a brace instead of a stock, out of pistols or virgin receivers that had not been DROSed as rifles.  The features list, of which only one item is required to make it an AW, combines both the rifle and pistol features, and possibly includes others.  The ability to accept a magazine or belt outside of the pistol grip is now a feature.  Browning machine gun designs, if semi-auto, are now AWs by default without a buttstock.  With a buttstock, they are still subject to the requirements of the rifle section of the AWB (and .50 BMG ban) and must be featureless.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:49:39 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 11:06:41 PM EST
Bigstick,
Do you know if they reopened the registration for people that bought M2's but didn't register them?

This should also include the 1919's, so people will have to register them also. This might have to be a new thread for people that didn't realize that part of the Bill!

Fucking Newscum and the Democrat suck heads! What a joke, turning more Californians into felons with the stroke of a pen!
View Quote

I think the deadline for acquisition was September 1st.  My understanding is that anyone who has such a weapon by September 1st will be allowed to possess it until registration is set up and the period for doing it is complete, at which point anyone with an unregistered weapon will be guilty of a crime.  I'm not sure what the timelines look like off of the top of my head.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 5:33:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By 74HC:
I'd say more than just CA politicians but other blue states as well.  CA appeal for full court review prior to RGB's death, but if Barrett is confirmed, the other blue states probably don't want it going to the Supreme Court.  They're probably thinking that CA should drop their appeal and keep it local to CA, and not spread to MA, NY, and other such states.
View Quote

Ooooooooh please please please please please.....

Us Washingtonians are at the edge of our seats watching you guys and the ACB appointment. Dimslee and turd ferguson were driving for a win on mag bans and what not, but we haven't heard dick from them since Kali news. Them and other Wa liberals are planning their next antigun move based on all this.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 2:59:01 AM EST
Would this allow for handguns with mags over 10 rounds then? If so, anyone know how i can get a vp9 in california?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:33:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By TrumpMixtape:
Would this allow for handguns with mags over 10 rounds then? If so, anyone know how i can get a vp9 in california?
View Quote

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it would allow for handgun mags over 10 rounds, but it would not get rid of the roster.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:15:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2020 2:00:25 PM EST by Trollslayer]
This case is ONLY about the magazines - the magazine as a banned item.  

It's not about the firearms that use them.  

It's not about the list of banned firearms.

It's not about the Handgun Roster.

This case is only about the magazines.

Having said all that, I have at least one out-of-production handgun which will be rendered useless if I have to destroy the magazines.  There are no replacement 10 rounders available either as new or used items because none were ever produced.  This is a de-facto confiscation of the firearm.  

This State, with its single party government, is totally out of control.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 2:12:45 PM EST
And while this case is about the mags, discussion of mag capacity, etc., crept into the AW case when heard by the 3 judge panel of the 9th the other day.  As part of the definition in some circumstances and I think in a rather confused response by the state's attorney.  Which speaks to the complexity of the convoluted laws such that the attorney's and judges involved can't seemingly keep things separated.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 2:34:10 PM EST
The firearms that use the high capacity magazines are part of the context for the magazine.  Arguments regarding the magazines require context.  Still, a ruling will (most likely) address only the magazines.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 3:10:26 PM EST
Wait.. this is the most retarded thing ive ever heard. You can now buy high capacity magazines, but if you put them in the pistol/rifle theyre for the gun then becomes illegal? That cant possibly be right.. what would even be the point?

There are sellers who sell disassemble guns to sell without the mags and then sell them separately, is that some kind of loophole?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 4:18:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2020 4:22:39 PM EST by Trollslayer]
Originally Posted By TrumpMixtape:
Wait.. this is the most retarded thing ive ever heard. You can now buy high capacity magazines, but if you put them in the pistol/rifle theyre for the gun then becomes illegal? That cant possibly be right.. what would even be the point?

There are sellers who sell disassemble guns to sell without the mags and then sell them separately, is that some kind of loophole?
View Quote

You have it a bit mixed up.

I believe this history lesson is accurate.

Since January, 2000, you have not been able to legally buy standard capacity magazines in the State of California.  No new ones could be sold, bought, manufactured or imported.  Those already owned were okay to own and use ("grandfathered" in).

Provisions of the assault weapon laws required you to register existing "assault weapons" and no new "assault weapons" could be sold, bought, manufactured or imported.

There are some rifle configurations which are not "assault weapons" when fitted with a ten round magazine.  However, that same rifle, fitted with a standard capacity magazine becomes an "assault weapon".  To understand which and how gets to be very detailed and very legalistic.

Even so, if I had some grandfathered standard capacity magazines and had registered my rifle, I could have and use my standard capacity magazines in my registered assault rifle.

Subsequently, a law was passed which outlawed standard capacity magazines and removed the "grandfathering" protection for pre-existing magazines.  That law is the object of this law suit.  That law sought to outlaw standard capacity MAGAZINES.

The Ninth Circuit Court issued a stay preventing implementation of the law and its mandated confiscation/destruction.  The State's appeal to remove the stay also lost before a 3 judge panel in the Ninth Circuit Court.  <-- I think that's correct.

I think that brings you up to date.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top