Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2020 9:54:50 PM EDT
I have an RI friend that is saying that you can't build them there anymore.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You can build em, you just got to serialized em. If you serialize em before built aka paperweight, then they don't have to go into any book.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]
So I buy one. (Unfinished)
Get home and get my Dremel and engrave 69SMD69 on it then cut the pocket. It is the same as if I built it w/o a SN?

This is RI law or Fed?
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#3]
No, it has to be marked per the federal CFR for markings, but yes--if you follow that marking scheme, them build it you are fine. The RI law basically mimics the federal law.

I still think that you dont need to, but I have been told I am wrong. The bill that passed says that any gun not required by the GCA of 1968 is exempt. According to the GCA of 1968 if you are a non FFL making for your own use and not for sale, you don't need a serial number. The bill is convoluted bullshit that argues with it self. Bottom line though, if you were every stopped for anything, the cops are looking for serial numbers now on modern weapons.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
"They" are saying the 80% needs to be built before 1968, but I think the same as you sgwlower in that we're covered under the GCA of 1968. The language is absolutely horrible and it makes the loaded magazine bill look logical

There was a great facebook thread right after the bill passed through the house and one of the better known pro-gun Reps said he wasn't going to serialize his.

All I know is I would hate to be the first "test case" to go before the judge.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#5]
So you put a number on an 80% lower , it still won't exist in any system unless you are stopped with it and the officer checks to see if its hot.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Not just a number. A manufacturer, a model number, a town and state, and a serial number.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#7]
What about 80% lowers built up prior to the bill?

Do those need a number added now?

(asking for a friend).
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about 80% lowers built up prior to the bill?

Do those need a number added now?

(asking for a friend).
View Quote

From what I am being told, yes. Ocean State Armory is doing this service, if you don't have the tools to do it yourself per the CFR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top