Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2017 7:56:07 PM EDT
Hey guys,
Finished my first AR build and love it! I was wondering how many you have done 80% lowers and if there is any advice. I have seen some of the jigs as well as the "Ghost Gunner" CNC. My understanding of the CNC is that if someone else has one for private use, I can use it as long as I do all the work.
Anyone have any recommendations on jigs or have used the CNC?
Thanks,
countryboy
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#1]
The Ghost gunner 2 is amazing. Very clean work. It now has programs for ar10, glock 80, and 1911.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to convince the wife that I need one ... Any recommendation for 80% lowers? I dont want something that is half-ass or is not durable. I might get a 6061 for a dedicated .22lr build, but I am sticking with 7075 for my 5.56 and 300 builds.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:00:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the last time we ordered it was from 80%arms. But it’s been a while. 7075 is the way to go. The only problem with 80%s is that you (or at least I do) always need to have them anodized or cerakoted so it gets expensive.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the last time we ordered it was from 80%arms. But it’s been a while. 7075 is the way to go. The only problem with 80%s is that you (or at least I do) always need to have them anodized or cerakoted so it gets expensive.
View Quote
Are you referring to the fcg pocket? If so, i leave mine raw. I'm no expert, but allow me to share a little experience.

I have built 7 rifles from an 80% lower. I love the hobby portion of it as much as the shooting part. I have used one Anderson forged lower, two nameless billet lowers, and 4 80% arms billet lowers. All anodized. No issues with any of them, but the 80% arms are very nice lowers. I thing in reality it's a horse apiece. Just preference as long as it's 7075.
I have zero experience with the Ghostgunner, as I started with the 80% arms jig. It worked pretty darn good, but there was some slight checking in the fcg pocket from the bit flexing in the jig. When 5d Tactical came out with their design i jumped on buying one. Now THAT is an excellent jig. The finished product looks incredibly similar to a cnc finish.
To each their own though.  I am in no way affiliated with any firearms parts manufacturer. If you choose the Ghost Gunner, i hope it treats you well!! I'll see if i can follow up with some pictures.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

This was from the 80% arms easy jig
Attachment Attached File

Same lower. Finished product. 16" 5.56
Attachment Attached File

Another 80% arms lower from their jig
Attachment Attached File

Finished .300 blackout
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Another .300 for my main floor defense. I can't find the pic of just the lower though. This was one of the no name billet lowers i bought off the EE. The price was right, but the anodizing was pretty crappy. So i chose to give it a seasoned look.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

Both of these were done on the 5d jig. The pics are kind of grainy and definitely don't show how clean they came out.
Attachment Attached File

.458 SOCOM
Attachment Attached File

And a fun little 5.56 for my daughters to plink with. And lastly:
Attachment Attached File

9mm done on the 5d jig
Attachment Attached File

Finished toy for the lady of the house. I believe the lower was from JoeBob, and i did have to have this one Cerakoted as it was raw. Came out great though!

Anyway, i hope my humblebragging () has helped you with some questions! Feel free to ask any more that you may have.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72250/20170308_154005-329993.JPG
Both of these were done on the 5d jig. The pics are kind of grainy and definitely don't show how clean they came out.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72250/20170410_161944-329998.JPG
.458 SOCOM
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72250/20170202_140950-330000.JPG
And a fun little 5.56 for my daughters to plink with. And lastly:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72250/20170424_143638-330003.JPG
9mm done on the 5d jig
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72250/20170623_095347-330007.JPG
Finished toy for the lady of the house. I believe the lower was from JoeBob, and i did have to have this one Cerakoted as it was raw. Came out great though!

Anyway, i hope my humblebragging () has helped you with some questions! Feel free to ask any more that you may have.
View Quote
Those are great! Makes me want to do multiple builds now! Haha
Where did you get that "Say When" Sling? That is awesom!
Also
With the AR 9 and Billet receivers, did they go into the 5d jig just fine? I was looking at the easy jig 2 last night and watched a video. Seems pretty similar to the 5d jig.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Also where at in Oregon are you?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#10]
The easyjig 2 does look great as well! Haven't had any experience with it though. I ordered the sling through https://premiumoutfittersusa.com/
Great place to get some good stuff. Imho, for the cost of the ghost gunner, hell you could get your jig and a bunch of lowers! I knew i would be doing a lot of builds, so i invested some coin into my setup. Next....the .277 wolverine!
I hope you have fun no matter what your approach is!

ETA.  Every lower i have used fit beautifuly into the 5d jig
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Also where at in Oregon are you?
View Quote
Portland. Grew up down in 541 though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm actually in southern OR right this second for elk season with my .458 in tow. OP where are you?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm in Salem now. Grew up in Eugene/Veneta. Would like to get back to my roots eventually.

This was my first build.

Spike Honey badger lower/upper
BCM Trigger, BCG, Charging
Surefire War comp and Warden
SLR 10.5" Intrepid
Spikes/FN 249 11.5" barrel
J&T buffer, spring, tube combo
Ergo Grip
SBV Brace.

RUNS FLAWLESSLY after approx 1000 rounds.

I just picked up a SBPDW brace that I am going to swap out (going on my brothers build) and a geissele 42 to throw in it (J&T also going on brothers build).
Picked a up a MRO 2 and just waiting on the geissele mount.
This is my dedicated In-Home defense/truck gun. Nothing more, nothing less.

My next build is the one for my brother, one for my dad, and then for my self all on McKay Enterprise lowers (Last name, has meaning).
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Great first build! And in ARFCOM true fashion you even have a toe in the pic!
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Great first build! And in ARFCOM true fashion you even have a toe in the pic!
View Quote
Haha thanks!

More and more I think about it, I will probably get a jig for my first few 80% lowers. Me and my buddies are tempted to get one of the GG but it is expensive. Also with the ATF ruling, I guess we would not be able to "borrow" the machine from one another

My brothers build will have:
McKay Lower
Ballistic Advantage 11.5" QPQ barrel with pinned gas block, and BA upper (super deal from a few months back)
SBV brace, J&T buffer/spring/tube.
Midwest Ind. 10.5 M-Lok lightweight rail.

Probably going to with a SOLGW parts kit and buy the 3 pack of bolt carrier groups. One for his, my pops, and then my builds.
Also thinking of getting my brothers upper/lower in Titanium Blue.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:34:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I use a Modulus Jig and a Grizzly mini mill and still with all the tooling and such, I have less into it than a Ghost Gunner, I look at them for quite a while and then ran into a great deal on a Mini Mill and a Lathe and that is what I use for all of my gun work, in addition to anything else I need to do.  I put DRO's on my mill and put the belt drive upgrade on it and can do so much more than just guns, I use it to make parts for my antique boats that I restore, have made parts for my cars and trucks, there is just so much more flexibility than putting that much in a Ghost Gunner.  I have now built 28 guns with my equipment and have the parts to build another 10 if I so desire.  Actually I am now looking for an engraving machine, I need to sell off some of the stuff I built and being a FFL7/SOT means I have to engrave the guns I have built so I can sell them!

That said, there are plenty of guys out their building guns with a router and a jig and they are putting out quality work, some of the guns I have seen done with the 5D and the Modulus are great if you take the time to learn how to use the router with a milling bit in it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:12:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Here’s an 80 I did in 300blk. Definitely not as pretty as some of those.

Attachment Attached File

And a 80% g17

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Those are nice. I was thinking about doing at 80% glock or 1911! Did you use your GG for the glock or just a jig?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Those are nice. I was thinking about doing at 80% glock or 1911! Did you use your GG for the glock or just a jig?
View Quote
I just used the jig from poly80. I used a box knife and a hand drill.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I just used the jig from poly80. I used a box knife and a hand drill.
View Quote
Good info! The box knife just to clean up the edges?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:13:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Good info! The box knife just to clean up the edges?
View Quote
Cut off the front rails and clean it up. Actually I cut the rear rails with the file on a leatherman. It’s the same width as the glock slide rail.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Cut off the front rails and clean it up. Actually I cut the rear rails with the file on a leatherman. It’s the same width as the glock slide rail.
View Quote
That is awesome!

I just did this one with a dremel and hand drill. I have three more to build

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 12:44:03 AM EDT
[#23]
That is nice! Where did you get the Glock lower from. A custom glock 19 is something I would like to do also.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That is nice! Where did you get the Glock lower from. A custom glock 19 is something I would like to do also.
View Quote
Everything you could need to know is at the link below. Let me know if you need any help, I've gotten fairly proficient at building them.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Polymer80-So-easy-a-caveman-could-do-it-/5-2075494/

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow Thanks for the inspiration. Just about to start on a 80% Ar15 lower to go with the poly80 builds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top