Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2020 11:55:07 AM EDT
I'm in PA but my brother's in MD.

He wants to work with me to build his own AR Pistol on an 80% lower. My tools, his work.

Likely going to go 11.5" upper.

Does this require the heavy barrel? Anything specific we need to do with marking? Any other gotchas I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance and keep fighting the good fight in MD!
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#1]
It will not require an HBAR if it is a pistol or SBR build that he intends to register with the BATF. If he builds a rifle using a 16" or longer barrel in 5.56/.223, it will have to be HBAR.

Maryland laws are completely illogical so don't even try to understand the thinking. They were written by people that have likely never handled a firearm of any kind.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#2]
@Exterminator555

Does it require the MD license/Class because it's a pistol, or not because it's self-made?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Exterminator555

Does it require the MD license/Class because it's a pistol, or not because it's self-made?
View Quote

An 80% build will not require a HQL (Handgun Qualification License.)
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I refuse to comply with that requirement and yet my builds are all completely within the laws. No HQL required on anything you build.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top