Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2021 12:49:02 PM EDT
I know I'll get lit up for asking but I've never been into 80% AR lowers so I haven't kept up.

Are they still GTG to purchase online and keep unmilled in the 80% state?  For example tuck away for a rainy day if I ever move out of the state.

I know 80% pistol frames now have to be serialized when finished.  I'm clear on this.  I just don't know much about the 80% AR lowers.

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I might be wrong, but I think ya now have to have a pistol permit or something (not to purchase) but to have them in your possession.  Check with "Mikey" aka SBHaven.  He'll know.

Life Cereal Mikey Likes It Commercial HD
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I might be wrong, but I think ya now have to have a pistol permit or something (not to purchase) but to have them in your possession.  Check with "Mikey" aka SBHaven.  He'll know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLQ0LZSnJFE
View Quote

If that's the only hurdle I have that covered.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Technically, they're supposed to be sent to an FFL and transferred  on a DPS-3-C. You're also supposed to fill-out a DESPP-0419-C, at the time of transfer, and have 30 days to complete the firearm/lower.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Technically, they're supposed to be sent to an FFL and transferred  on a DPS-3-C. You're also supposed to fill-out a DESPP-0419-C, at the time of transfer, and have 30 days to complete the firearm/lower.
View Quote

It appears that this may only apply if you are planning to finish/mill it.

I didn't read anything about them having to be sent to an FFL.  "Prior to completion of a firearm" is quite non specific and is not the same as "prior to taking possession".  Prior to completion could be the day you get it in hand or 3 years later.  Or, never if you are going to leave it in the 80% state.

Can you site a reference to the information you've posted?  I'm not trying to be argumentative I just want to find out what the correct answer is.

From the DESSP website:

I WOULD LIKE TO PURCHASE/TRANSFER AN UNFINISHED FRAME OR RECEIVER.    DOES IT HAVE A SERIAL #?  NO

STEP 1:PRIOR TO COMPLETION INTO A FIREARM, YOU NEED TO FILL OUT PART 1 OF UNIQUE SERIAL NUMBER APPLICATION (DESPP-419-C), A DPS-3(SALE OR TRANSFER OF FIREARM)AND REQUEST A SERIAL NUMBER FROM DESPP.

STEP 2:WITHIN 3 BUSINESS DAYS DESPP WILL ISSUE A SERIAL NUMBER.

STEP 3:PRIOR TO 30 DAYS AFTER COMPLETION OF THE FIREARM, GUN MANUFACTURED COMPLETION NOTIFICATION (PART 2 OF DESPP-419-C)WILL BE COMPLETED, A DPS-3FILLED OUT AND BOTH SUBMITTED TO
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Correct, you have 30 days to send in the second half of DESPP-0419-C, upon completing the firearm.
However, the lower still needs to be transferred through an FFL (or at least a DPS-3 needs to be completed) and part 1 of the DESPP-0419-C needs to be filled out (you need to obtain a serial, regardless of intent to finish).

UNIQUE SERIAL NUMBER APPLICATION (Part 1)
(Pursuant to P.A. 19-6)
? Part 1 of this application is only for the sale/transfer of an unfinished frame/receiver.
? A completed DPS-3 shall accompany Part 1 of this form and a DPS-67-C if required.
? No one may transfer an unfinished frame/receiver without a serial number obtained from SLFU.
? Must be engraved with all markings as required by 18 USC 923(i) prior to transfer.
o To include but not limited to;
? Model (if applicable)
? Caliber or Gauge
? Name of Manufacturer (last name followed by first initial)
? City and State where manufactured
? At a depth of .003 inches
? An incomplete application will result in a serial number not being issued.
? Retain Part 2 of this form until completion of the firearm.
GUN MANUFACTURED COMPLETION NOTIFICATION OR ALREADY OWNED (Part 2)
? Part 2 of this application is to be filled out within 30 days of completion of firearm.

I didn't want to drop the whole text of the Ghost Gun Law (Public Act No. 19-6), but you can find it here. Start reading Sec5, which is found at the bottom of page 6.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Correct, you have 30 days to send in the second half of DESPP-0419-C, upon completing the firearm.
However, the lower still needs to be transferred through an FFL (or at least a DPS-3 needs to be completed) and part 1 of the DESPP-0419-C needs to be filled out (you need to obtain a serial, regardless of intent to finish).

UNIQUE SERIAL NUMBER APPLICATION (Part 1)
(Pursuant to P.A. 19-6)
? Part 1 of this application is only for the sale/transfer of an unfinished frame/receiver.
? A completed DPS-3 shall accompany Part 1 of this form and a DPS-67-C if required.
? No one may transfer an unfinished frame/receiver without a serial number obtained from SLFU.
? Must be engraved with all markings as required by 18 USC 923(i) prior to transfer.
o To include but not limited to;
? Model (if applicable)
? Caliber or Gauge
? Name of Manufacturer (last name followed by first initial)
? City and State where manufactured
? At a depth of .003 inches
? An incomplete application will result in a serial number not being issued.
? Retain Part 2 of this form until completion of the firearm.
GUN MANUFACTURED COMPLETION NOTIFICATION OR ALREADY OWNED (Part 2)
? Part 2 of this application is to be filled out within 30 days of completion of firearm.

I didn't want to drop the whole text of the Ghost Gun Law (Public Act No. 19-6), but you can find it here. Start reading Sec5, which is found at the bottom of page 6.
View Quote

Thanks for citing that info.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#9]
But I do have to say...weird because it seems to conflict with this:

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2020/sup/chap_529.htm

Starting at Sec. 29.36a

Could it be that the public act was the bill which was proposed but the info I've cited is what made it into the actual written law?

Not too confusing is it?  

Which is correct?  I have no idea.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#10]
That's to do w/ manufacturing and not the transfer of an unfinished lower.

Sec. 29-36a.

(c) The provisions of subsections (a) and (b) of this section shall not apply to the manufacture of a firearm manufactured using an unfinished frame or lower receiver on which a serial number or other mark has been engraved or permanently affixed pursuant to subsection (c) of section 53-206j.

Maybe??
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Does this also apply to those Glock 80% lowers ? Problem I see is getting someone to ship to CT and lower parts are non existent.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does this also apply to those Glock 80% lowers ? Problem I see is getting someone to ship to CT and lower parts are non existent.
View Quote

10-4

For purposes of this section, "unfinished frame or lower receiver"
means a blank, casting or machined body intended to be turned into
the frame or lower receiver of a firearm, as defined in section 53a-3 of
the general statutes, with additional machining, and which has been
formed or machined to the point where most major machining
operations have been completed to turn the blank, casting or machined
body into a frame or lower receiver of a firearm, even if the fire-control
cavity area of such blank, casting or machined body is still completely
solid and unmachined.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Couple of relevant statutes, if they haven't been already mentioned, enacted in the last year or two...

Sec. 53-206i. Manufacture of firearm from polymer plastic without detectable security exemplar. Prohibited. Penalty.

"(d) For purposes of this section, “firearm” means firearm, as defined in section 53a-3, but does not include the frame or receiver of any such weapon and “security exemplar” means “security exemplar” as defined in 18 USC 922(p), as amended from time to time, and any regulation adopted thereunder."

Sec. 53-206j. Sale, delivery or transfer of unfinished frame or lower receiver. Prohibited. Exceptions. Penalty.

"(i) For purposes of this section, “unfinished frame or lower receiver” means a blank, casting or machined body intended to be turned into the frame or lower receiver of a firearm, as defined in section 53a-3, with additional machining, and which has been formed or machined to the point where most major machining operations have been completed to turn the blank, casting or machined body into a frame or lower receiver of a firearm, even if the fire-control cavity area of such blank, casting or machined body is still completely solid and unmachined. An “unfinished frame or lower receiver” is not a firearm, as defined in 18 USC 921(a), as amended from time to time."
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Couple of relevant statutes, if they haven't been already mentioned, enacted in the last year or two...

Sec. 53-206i. Manufacture of firearm from polymer plastic without detectable security exemplar. Prohibited. Penalty.

"(d) For purposes of this section, “firearm” means firearm, as defined in section 53a-3, but does not include the frame or receiver of any such weapon and “security exemplar” means “security exemplar” as defined in 18 USC 922(p), as amended from time to time, and any regulation adopted thereunder."

Sec. 53-206j. Sale, delivery or transfer of unfinished frame or lower receiver. Prohibited. Exceptions. Penalty.

"(i) For purposes of this section, “unfinished frame or lower receiver” means a blank, casting or machined body intended to be turned into the frame or lower receiver of a firearm, as defined in section 53a-3, with additional machining, and which has been formed or machined to the point where most major machining operations have been completed to turn the blank, casting or machined body into a frame or lower receiver of a firearm, even if the fire-control cavity area of such blank, casting or machined body is still completely solid and unmachined. An “unfinished frame or lower receiver” is not a firearm, as defined in 18 USC 921(a), as amended from time to time."
View Quote

I guess stay away from 80% unless you get them at a local shop.

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's to do w/ manufacturing and not the transfer of an unfinished lower.

Sec. 29-36a.

(c) The provisions of subsections (a) and (b) of this section shall not apply to the manufacture of a firearm manufactured using an unfinished frame or lower receiver on which a serial number or other mark has been engraved or permanently affixed pursuant to subsection (c) of section 53-206j.

Maybe??
View Quote

If people see the advice below and follow it, things may not turn out so well.  What's below is misleading.  IMO.  It's even titled Public Act 19-6.  No language there about following a process to acquire or purchase.

It's all prior to completion and upon completion.  Nothing about prior to purchasing or process of.  They may want to update it and have transferring/purchasing reflected in the so called "instructions".

https://portal.ct.gov/DESPP/Division-of-State-Police/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:If people see the advice below and follow it, things may not turn out so well.  What's below is misleading.
View Quote

Poorly written, definitely.

I WOULD LIKE TO PURCHASE/TRANSFER AN UNFINISHED FRAME OR RECEIVER

DOES IT HAVE A SERIAL #?

No

STEP 1:
PRIOR TO COMPLETION INTO A FIREARM, YOU NEED TO FILL OUT:
-PART 1 OF UNIQUE SERIAL NUMBER APPLICATION (DESPP-419-C)
-A DPS-3 (SALE OR TRANSFER OF FIREARM) <-- Bought out of state will need to be transferred through dealer or buy local and do form in store or FTF.
-REQUEST A SERIAL NUMBER FROM DESPP.

STEP 2:
WITHIN 3 BUSINESS DAYS DESPP WILL ISSUE A SERIAL NUMBER. <--How will you be notified?

STEP 3:
PRIOR TO 30 DAYS AFTER COMPLETION OF THE FIREARM:
-GUN MANUFACTURED COMPLETION NOTIFICATION (PART 2 OF DESPP-419-C) WILL BE COMPLETED
-A DPS-3 FILLED OUT <-- This is confusing as the form should already filed and frame/receiver transferred to you. Also, different than what's printed on DESPP-419-C
-BOTH SUBMITTED TO SLFU.

Are they trying to say (in step 3) that you can make your own frame/receiver and at that time (when filing part 2 of DESPP-419-C) you'll need to transfer it to yourself?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Poorly written, definitely.

I WOULD LIKE TO PURCHASE/TRANSFER AN UNFINISHED FRAME OR RECEIVER

DOES IT HAVE A SERIAL #?

No

STEP 1:
PRIOR TO COMPLETION INTO A FIREARM, YOU NEED TO FILL OUT:
-PART 1 OF UNIQUE SERIAL NUMBER APPLICATION (DESPP-419-C)
-A DPS-3 (SALE OR TRANSFER OF FIREARM) <-- Bought out of state will need to be transferred through dealer or buy local and do form in store or FTF.
-REQUEST A SERIAL NUMBER FROM DESPP.

STEP 2:
WITHIN 3 BUSINESS DAYS DESPP WILL ISSUE A SERIAL NUMBER. <--How will you be notified?

STEP 3:
PRIOR TO 30 DAYS AFTER COMPLETION OF THE FIREARM:
-GUN MANUFACTURED COMPLETION NOTIFICATION (PART 2 OF DESPP-419-C) WILL BE COMPLETED
-A DPS-3 FILLED OUT <-- This is confusing as the form should already filed and frame/receiver transferred to you. Also, different than what's printed on DESPP-419-C
-BOTH SUBMITTED TO SLFU.

Are they trying to say (in step 3) that you can make your own frame/receiver and at that time (when filing part 2 of DESPP-419-C) you'll need to transfer it to yourself?
View Quote

I know.  I thought the same thing about the 2nd DPS-3.  It's like wasn't that in step #1?

Then in step #1 how do you do a transfer and complete a DPS-3 when you don't get a serial number issued until step #2 (3 days later)?  So the FFL and state are effectively transferring an unmarked unserialized slab of aluminum to you anyway.

Doesn't this then make all steps 1,2 & 3 pointless? What if you don't finish it until 1-2 years later or ever?  Even though they issued a serial number do they think everyone is going to run down to an engraver and get it done the next day?  

This goes under the "you can't make this stuff up" category.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#18]
if you finished it before the law changed you are GTG
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I mean, if he had it in his possession before the law changed he doesn't have to go through the transfer stupidity either and he could sit on it without doing a damn thing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Then in step #1 how do you do a transfer and complete a DPS-3 when you don't get a serial number issued until step #2 (3 days later)?  So the FFL and state are effectively transferring an unmarked unserialized slab of aluminum to you anyway.
View Quote

On the DPS-3-C form, you don't (it appears) actually submit the form until you have the serial number issued by DESPP/SLFU and it should be submitted within 30 days of completing the firearm. Note the "both submitted to SLFU" at the end of step 3. That is the only place that language is used in that flowchart. Of course as pointed out, what happens if you don't complete the build right then and there?

Really though they are trying to distill several statutes down with those flow charts and doing a miserable job at it. Not entirely their fault as the various statues are confusing a shit. Remember this is "common sense" gun control looks like to Democrats.

Its really several issues at play here. If you are now buying an unfinished frame or lower receiver it is supposed to come with a serial number at transfer. If you already have an unfinished frame or lower receiver that doesn't have a serial number then you are supposed to apply for a serial number and submit the DPS-3-C and other forms for it when one completes the firearm build.

Sec. 29-36a. Manufacture of a firearm. Acquisition of unique serial number or other mark of identification. Exceptions. Penalty.

The relevant portion when manufacturing a firearm that doesn't (currently) have a serial number:

(a) No person shall complete the manufacture of a firearm without subsequently (1) obtaining a unique serial number or other mark of identification from the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection pursuant to subsection (b) of this section, and (2) engraving upon or permanently affixing to the firearm such serial number or other mark in a manner that conforms with the requirements imposed on licensed importers and licensed manufacturers of firearms pursuant to 18 USC 923(i), as amended from time to time, and any regulation adopted thereunder.

(b) Not later than thirty days after a person completes the manufacture of a firearm or ninety days after the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection provides notice in accordance with section 29-36b that the system to distribute a unique serial number or other mark of identification pursuant to this section is operational, whichever date is later, such person shall notify the department of such manufacture and provide any identifying information to the department concerning the firearm and the owner of such firearm, in a manner prescribed by the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection. Upon receiving a properly submitted request for a unique serial number or other mark of identification from a person who completes manufacture of a firearm, the department shall determine if such person is prohibited from purchasing a firearm and if not, shall issue to such person a unique serial number or other mark of identification immediately and in no instance more than three business days after the department receives such request. Issuance of a unique serial number or other mark of identification pursuant to this subsection shall not be evidence that the firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
if you finished it before the law changed you are GTG
View Quote

What he said
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top