Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2022 2:17:05 AM EDT
Title says it all. looking for a place to shoot my 50 bmg. (barett if that matters)  all the indoor ranges are a no.  Located in NOVA so don't wanna drive hours to shoot. Also prefer places that aren't a complete hassle the moment I take it out of the bag.

Thanks Guys ,  Ill try to make some hikes again when the weather warms
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:09:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried finding something local online for you,
but a lot of what I saw is outdated, unclear, or
contradictory on different website pages regarding
what is actually allowed at those ranges.

(Kind of irritating )

I also haven't been to public ranges in nearly a decade,
so my knowledge of local places is "expired."

If I come across somewhere good, I'll post it in this thread.

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:28:31 AM EDT
[#2]
You might want to call the folks at 340 Defense. It's 4 or 5 miles north of Berryville on (you guessed it) Route 340.
They have ranges out to 300 yards with covered firing points.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#3]
If Charlottesville isn't too far to travel - the Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Club allows 50 BMG on three of our ranges - our 50 yard, 100 yard & 300 yard ranges allow it.

You have to be a member or guest of a member to shoot at the club - dues are currently $130.00/year.

If you would like to come down and take a tour, I'd be happy to show you around. I'm the current President of the club, so I'm out there a lot anyway.

Stay safe,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#4]
That crazy guy in Loudoun that shot up houses use to shoot his authentic M2 on 7 acres near Dulles Airport.  Do whatever works, many large tracts still abound if you are in the know, perhaps join a local 2A group.....just don't be that guy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#5]
While not ideal, Quantico Shooting club does have ranges that are 50bmg authorized. The hours of operation are different then most ranges.

https://quanticoshootingclub.com/ironman-range-formerly-range-305

You might want to talk to a member for more info.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Go out to the Cove Campground in Gore VA.  About 20-30 minutes west of Winchester.   They have a 500 yard range with steel targets every 100 yards.  I've only shot at their smaller 75-100 yard range but want to hit the longer one someday.   I think you need at least 3 people in your group and they will have an RSO there.   The top open area is the smaller range and the 500 yard range is obviously the other open area.  You can see the 100 yard markers...

Here is info from their website: http://www.covecampground.com/range.htm

Long Range information-- The long range is now open for reservations. You must make a reservation prior to accessing the long range, there is a three person minimum for a reservation. The long range is a low rate of fire range intended for those persons interested in precision shooting. A range officer will be on the range when it is in operation at all times no exceptions. The fees for the long range are listed below and reflect the nature of the range, the fees include use of the general range and access to the general daily campground activities ie. swimming, fishing, hiking, picnicing etc.. The reservation period is for two hours shooting with 15 minutes allowed for clean up and setup. The range is 500 meters with ten lanes, each lane has four targets one at each 100 meters starting at 200 meters. The firing line is covered and has one double sided bench at each lane/bay. Long Range Fee-- $50.00 per person for a two hour session

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm the President of the Quantico Shooting Club. Our members only club has 5 ranges cleared for 50BMG (R1 @ 300m and Ironman @450/700yds), two 600yrd ranges (R2 and R3) as well as our 1,035yd Range 4 (long range, precision fire). We're only open weekends (Marines actually want to use their ranges during the week, go figure), and our most expensive annual membership is only $150. We accept "civilian" members and will sponsor civilians for base access so they can become members and shoot. Quanticoshootingclub dot com has enough info on the ranges to hurt your head.

The magnificent view from the 1,000yrd line.

One of our oldest members shooting his 50BMG on R4.

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm the President of the Quantico Shooting Club. Our members only club has 2 recreational fire ranges cleared for 50BMG (R1 @ 300m and Ironman @450/700yds), two 600yrd ranges (R2 and R3) as well as our 1,035yd Range 4 (long range, precision fire). We're only open weekends (Marines actually want to use their ranges during the week, go figure), and our most expensive annual membership is only $150. We accept "civilian" members and will sponsor civilians for base access so they can become members and shoot. Quanticoshootingclub dot com has enough info on the ranges to hurt your head.

The magnificent view from the 1,000yrd line.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52736/IMG_4886-1530284.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52736/thumbnail_IMG_0858-2175640.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52736/thumbnail_IMG_0816-2166596.jpg

One of our oldest members shooting his 50BMG on R4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyu6EXjd-Zc
View Quote

Quantico would be Ideal for me. I understand i would need a sponsor in order to get inside? If your comfortable DM me about how I can go about that.   Thank you
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quantico would be Ideal for me. I understand i would need a sponsor in order to get inside? If your comfortable DM me about how I can go about that.   Thank you
View Quote

Go to the membership page and complete the Associate Member application. The Dept of Navy access form is included, which is used to grant you base access once you become a member (QSC acts as your sponsor).

Drop a note to staff at quanticoshootingclub dot com if you have questions. We're all volunteer and only open weekends, so it may take us a bit to reply. Drop me an IM if needed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad to see the members here could help you out.

ETA - Sorry I didn't mention QSC off MCB 4.  

Passed by there for decades.  I saw something online about shooting being paused for hunting season,
and only wanted to suggest a sure thing.

Go have fun there and see if they can get you a tour of Hogan's Alley!
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys. I filled out the Quantico form, hopefully i can get in reasonably soon.  Called every indoor range in the area and they all said "LOL no"   in case anybody was wondering.

The struggle is real.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I filled out the Quantico form, hopefully i can get in reasonably soon.  Called every indoor range in the area and they all said "LOL no"   in case anybody was wondering.

The struggle is real.
View Quote

Check each form to ensure you got all the initials and signatures (digital signatures are fine). Email them back to the staff address and we'll process and send you a square invoice. Once you pay, we mail your card or if needed, we can meet you at the visitors center (Saturday morning only_ and you can get your DBIDS card and shoot the same day. Send me a PM with your name and we'll try and expidite your processing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top