Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2018 3:17:28 PM EDT
I have been looking at the Henry lever action in 45 LC.  I have found one I like.  I was just wondering if 45 LC out of a rifle is legal for deer.
Ballistics look like 1400 FPS. and 1200 ft lbs of muzzle energy.
I have never really thought of this a s deer rifle but I may now.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#1]
WI only requirement is centerfire, .22 cal. or larger for rifle or handgun.  I think a 45 LC rifle would be just fine for 50 yd. or less work.  I wonder how many deer have been done in with the likes of a 25-20 Win.?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#2]
.45 Colt can be loaded pretty hot, equal to the .44 mag, but can only be safely used in the right gun. Corbon, Grizzley, & Buffalo Bore are factory choices. I would NOT use any self defense type loads designed for the likes of the Taurus Judge.

Can it kill deer? I am a big fan of the cartridge, owned at least one since 1971. I have killed 4 deer with it... and all with a handgun. 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk 3-screw, Leupold 2X handgun scope on a B-Square mount, Hogue rubber grips. 1st two I used Corbon ammo, last two I used handloads. Both loads were 300gr bullets. Handloads are Cast Performance LFNGC, Starline Brass, 22 grs H110. Both were chrongraphed at 1175-1200fps averages from my Blackhawk. Probably get 1500+ from a rifle. Of the 4 deer I killed with that .45, 2 were forkhorn bucks, 2 were does. None of the 4 took a single step, DRT. Closest was a forkhorn I took at 4 (FOUR!) yards. Dumb shit walked right up to a pop-up blind I borrowed (it was late '90s, it was 50 degrees opening day, no snow...one of the rare seasons when I sat instead of tracked ). I shot him just below the white on his throat, bullet exited near his tail. Hit his spine breaking it, then came out his ass... complete end to end pass through (a shot I won't take again...destroyed enrtire backstraps on one side). Farthest deer taken was a big doe at about 60 yards. Tracked her in the snow, she was bedded down in some little pines, hit her in the neck breaking her spine, she never got up. I never recovered a single bullet from those 4. All were in, out, and gone.

I wouldn't hesitate taking a deer with the cartridge (with "magnum" hunting ammo) out to 100 yards with a rifle. I know the Marlins & Winchesters can safely handle those loads,  not sure about the Henry but I don't see why it couldn't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top